The VB Series 2006

VB Series Winner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
siddharth2002 said:
Watched the last 12 overs, terrific stuff although they could've got more had Symo gotten out around 40 over mark.

I don't know, if he didn't get out we could have gotten more. Imagine what could have been done if Gilly actually got off the ground. 400 must be on the cards at the World Cup.

Iamgine if Hussey had got another 10 overs!

I was stunned when I saw how cleanly he hit that sweep shot for 6 :)

BTW Murali has now conceded the most runs ever in a 50 over match. One guy conceded more but that was a 60 over game. Brillant stuff Australia, what a proud day this is!

IloveGilly said:
Clarke does know how to hit sixes tho, but i think he likes it along the ground better.

He was dropped from the Test side as a result of the selectors thinking the opposite ;)
Anyway, amazing total in any circumstances, but to think that this is how they escaped the situation of 3/10. I didn't see the game too early on but SL mustn't have kept the pressure on and became complacent with their position, but great confidence to take the attack up in and change the frame of mind from that stage by the Aussies. Hussey is a perfect finisher-why would anyone suggest he open...

Cricket_60 said:
Iamgine if Hussey had got another 10 overs!

I was stunned when I saw how cleanly he hit that sweep shot for 6 :)

Well Clarke got a 50 in 27 balls, I can't see Hussey beating that so I think the total we got was the max we could have got.

James219 said:
Hussey is a perfect finisher-why would anyone suggest he open...

Spot on, I can't believe people want to move him. You don't find a super finisher like him everyday. You can find good openers usually, heck Cosgrove is a make shift one and has done well.

Getting 2 newspapers tomorrow.
1 to savour the massive win against Sri Lanka and the other is too rub it in on the guy who is in my school cricket team who supports Sri Lanka (probably gonna rip it up).
I felt poor for Murali but then again i'm happy... Clarke has made a great impression on the selectors.

aussie1st said:
Well Clarke got a 50 in 27 balls, I can't see Hussey beating that so I think the total we got was the max we could have got.

Hussey got 23 in 8, including a six. I think we could have got more. I don't wanna take any credit away from Pup though, that was a great innings.

Last edited:
James219 said:
Anyway, amazing total in any circumstances, but to think that this is how they escaped the situation of 3/10. I didn't see the game too early on but SL mustn't have kept the pressure on and became complacent with their position, but great confidence to take the attack up in and change the frame of mind from that stage by the Aussies. Hussey is a perfect finisher-why would anyone suggest he open...

Not really, after about 5 overs it was 3/20 and thats when Ponting was on the move with Symonds just taking his time. And when it came to the 15th over...no powerplay, because Ponting and Symonds were playing too well. When they did put the powerplay on they got played all over the park. Doesn't seem like pressure to me besides 3 wickets in 3 balls.

Well sorry but that's pressure when you have a bowler like Vaas on a roll with three wickets, variations up his sleeve, a 1-0 victory prior to the match and a side full of confidence. It takes something special to deflate that and completely change the momentum to make the Sri Lankans feel like they cannot wait until the innings break. And alot of players crumble, so it is also difficult to be positive and on the move in that situation.

James219 said:
Hey, Murali's figures are yet another reason not to return to Australia. Btw, Katich now under extreme pressure in the bid to obtain his spot, and to be honest, he doesn't really deserve to tour SA. He's another re-assuring article ;) http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=86431

Interesting article, I totally agree with Chappell apart from Hussey moving up to opener. Clarke as opener, I guess that could work and that way we do get another bowler (Watson) into the side.
I wouldn't mind a side like this.

Jaques
Gilchrist
Ponting
Clarke
Symonds
Watson (Can't bat him any lower maybe best at 4)
Hussey
Hogg
Lee
Bracken
McGrath/Tait

Wow

Wonderful recovery

And they put plenty of pressure on the aussies early on.
They brang back vaas and brang murali in to try an get another wicket.

damn aus is too good also what good knock by symond and ponting also good 50 by clark.

Watson before hussey?

no way
If hussey was batting higher he would have had a few hundreds by now.
Watson is lucky to get 30's

James219 said:
Anyway, amazing total in any circumstances, but to think that this is how they escaped the situation of 3/10. I didn't see the game too early on but SL mustn't have kept the pressure on and became complacent with their position, but great confidence to take the attack up in and change the frame of mind from that stage by the Aussies.
Indeed, Peter Roebuck was livid about the tactical errors they made. They had the medium paced Kulasekera bowling outside off to a stacked offside field. At Kulasekera's pace, in spite of his good accuracy, these were easily dispatched. He is best used, as Roebuck repeatedly asserted, bowling stump-to-stump, with a more balanced field.

It was a short period of the game, but it allowed Ponting and Symonds to get off the mark comfortably.

Users who are viewing this thread