The Worst Ever World Cup....

Barring Wolmer's death, there's nothing wrong with this world cup in terms of the kind of cricket being played. One can argue that the league format was quite punishing hence India and Pakistan didn't get enough chances to mount a comeback. I do believe that Super 6's was a better option than Super 8's hence, we have some useless matches in between. The real deal starts from Semi-finals.

siddharth2002 said:
Barring Wolmer's death, there's nothing wrong with this world cup in terms of the kind of cricket being played. One can argue that the league format was quite punishing hence India and Pakistan didn't get enough chances to mount a comeback. I do believe that Super 6's was a better option than Super 8's hence, we have some useless matches in between. The real deal starts from Semi-finals.

So you are satisfied with 3 'Real' battles?

Minnows (BD & Ireland) actually spoiling this world cup excitement, but it's not their fault. Blame it on India & Pakistan for their complacency.

The crowds have actually been pretty disappointing. The ICC is going to make a loss from ticket sales because not only did they price them so high, but Indian/Pakistani fans with reservations would have canceled them, for the most part. That's 11/24 Super 8 games where attendance will be far lower than expected.

Cricket-wise it's been good, although the rain has also been annoying.

Sagacious said:

Minnows (BD & Ireland) actually spoiling this world cup excitement, but it's not their fault. Blame it on India & Pakistan for their complacency.

I am starting to get annoyed at people saying that the 2007 World Cup is the "worst ever" just because India and Pakistan were eliminated at the group stage. Bangladesh and Ireland played better than either of these teams and got more points, so they deserve to play in the Super Eight. If Bangladesh and Ireland were only in the World Cup to make up the numbers, then what would be the point of them playing?

Sagacious said:

Well Ireland and Bangladesh will stay minnows as aptly demonstrated in recently concluded games. Good on them for making the Super 8's but that doesn't hide the actual truth.

I dont think it has been the worst world Cup yet... because this is the 1st World Cup i have ever watched but still. Lol Ireland and Bangladesh are playing well, how often does that happen

Blame it on the tournament format

sohummisra said:
The crowds have actually been pretty disappointing. The ICC is going to make a loss from ticket sales because not only did they price them so high, but Indian/Pakistani fans with reservations would have canceled them, for the most part. That's 11/24 Super 8 games where attendance will be far lower than expected.

With the Windies crashing out too,you really don't expect the home crowds to turn up for the rest of their games,do you ?

The ICC will make a loss.Blame it on the tournament format.
I mean,i'm not cribbing that India and Pak crashed out,but they crashed otu on basis of just one game each.
Come on,had South Africa lost to Holland,we would have seen the Dutch contesting the S-8.

Isn't the format faulty ?
Well,i know for one that the ICC were heavily criticised for the Super Six used during the last two cups,but this is ridculous.A simple format should be in place.Have a two-tier system like the one they had in the ICC CT.

The Top 8 qualify automatically on the basis of their rankings.
9,10 and the minnows can play out qulaifers wherein two can go through.If I say 4,that would indeed be a bit too much.

The 10 teams can now be divided into two groups of 5 each.Have a round-robin.The top-two from each contest the Semis.
Hows that ?

The only change needed to the format is to have either quarter finals instead of the Super 8, or two groups of four in the second round, as in the Twenty20 World Cup.

I agree that the round robin format does make the whole competition go on for a bit too long and a knockout format would have been better.

I don't agree that ticket sales are low because India and Pakistan are out either, ticket sales weren't great for the group stages where of course Pakistan and India were playing. Quite simply they are too expensive, Locals just cant afford a months wages to go and watch one match no matter who is playing. Its also pretty poor planning to cram a large proportion of the host nations super 8 matches right at the start of the stage, if they wanted to attract maximum interest they should have spread them out a bit.

I don't know if this was the case in other countries but I looked at tour prices from the official UK agent way back and they only offered what I would call a premium package that was out of my price range. Perhaps if they had offered a slightly cheaper package I'd have been out there at some stage.

Round 1: Two groups of eight teams.
Round 2: Top four play semi finals
Round 3: Winners of semi-finals play final

Seems fair to me.

I personally can't see anything wrong with this world cup. We have 4 top teams in Australia, Sri Lanka, South Africa & New Zealand, and they all look in perfect form.

I think it's just the Team India's exit that is has caused a little bit of attention, but if you understand your cricket - Super 8's round is showing fantastic cricket. And much more to come as semi-finals comes close.

Don't agree its the worst world cup ever. It may in fact turn out to be one of the best ever..

andrew_nixon said:
Two groups of eight!

So instead of having 48 matches to get down to four teams, you want 56, the majority of which will end up being dead matches?

IMO, 1992 format was the best.

Well I hope a different team win the world cup this year not Australia again

(Sorry To Austarila Fan)

Users who are viewing this thread