Warm-up matches

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Leicester Fox said:
but this is the world cup it's completely different to a tour,these 2 teams might only play each other once more and you play so many matches in a short space of time that the warm up games have no real effect. Winning is bette than losing but it's not important in the long run of the world cup.

Of course they have an effect, it tells you how well you are adapting to the conditions. Now if the England camp is thinking what you are thinking the WC certainly won't be going back home to England.

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I'd still rather win the matches in the world cup than the ones that are their to warm up for it. I mean the warm up games have no effect on the eventual winner of the world cup, it'll be the team that plays best in the real matches that wins

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I'm not talking about the win, I'm talking about you guys just pushing it under the floor taking nothing out of it. You may as well just have stayed in the hotel room.

BigCrickNan

Chairman of Selectors
It doesn't help though that you play against the worst team in the world then the second best as you don't get used to conditions against teams like Bermuda because it's likely you'll get a huge win no matter what. As i've kept saying we've got three games to sort this out before it comes to the crunch time in the Super 8's.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
aussie1st said:
I'm not talking about the win, I'm talking about you guys just pushing it under the floor taking nothing out of it. You may as well just have stayed in the hotel room.

I dunno, all the bowlers got 4 or 5 overs in the middle, the top few batsman got some time at the crease, it wasn't exactly a waste of time.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Well from those 5 odd overs they all got they would be worried with their economy being over 5 given the majority of the Aussies were under 4.

Took only 2 overs for Clark to jump ahead of Johnson in the bowling queue.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
aussie1st said:
Well from those 5 odd overs they all got they would be worried with their economy being over 5 given the majority of the Aussies were under 4.

Took only 2 overs for Clark to jump ahead of Johnson in the bowling queue.

Not really, it seemed pretty clear at one stage that trying to force a victory was gone and forgotten about once the Aussies had got off to a good start with the bat. From then on the key seemed to be to just slow down the run rate and make sure we got enough overs in to give the bowlers there spells. I'm kind of assuming that's why JD came on before Monty, as JD didn't even get to bowl against Bermuda.

Whilst I do think Clark is better than Johnson, seems a bit unfair that he gets to bowl once we had lost our momentum and that puts him in poll position?

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Clark got Flintoff and then got the reward of getting the tail. If you bowl crap you will get treated like crap, plus Johnson has been getting belted lately. And what else can we base selection on? That what warm up are for, once you get into the group stage you can't try and hope.

irottev

School Cricketer
Clark did well lol.

He isn't always inexpensive, but at least he does get wickets. Johnson is a much worse option. I was surprised Johnson made the side over Clark in the first place.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Karachi Xpress said:
:eek: That too early! 4 AM:(
LOL. We ppl in North America have to wake up even earlier for every single match! We go sometimes without any sleep at all!

But finally, the World Cup is in our exact time zone...Perfect :D

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Cricketman93 said:
LOL. We ppl in North America have to wake up even earlier for every single match! We go sometimes without any sleep at all!

But finally, the World Cup is in our exact time zone...Perfect :D

Yeah, we have often lost lot of our sleep in watching Indian cricket. This time, we should enjoy the time zone in which the World Cup is played! It reminds me of my days in India when I used to get up in the morning and watch match throughout the day!

Leicester Fox said:
these are warm up games so they don't really have any bearig on the tournament. Obviously it's much better to win them but they don't really matter and it's not how you start it's how you finish

Not necessarily. Warm ups can act as a tool to have the teams get used to the conditions, and there are teams which do well when they get acclimatised to the conditions. For e.g. India take time getting used to the conditions, and when they do, they do really well. They have taken less time this World Cup to get used to the conditions and are expected to do well in the tournament!

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
saisrini80 said:
Yeah, we have often lost lot of our sleep in watching Indian cricket. This time, we should enjoy the time zone in which the World Cup is played! It reminds me of my days in India when I used to get up in the morning and watch match throughout the day!
Sigh... those were the days. Woke up at 10 AM, cricket started at 10.30. Lunch almost exactly coincided with my lunch. :)

Users who are viewing this thread