West Indies in England

He didn't do that in his first game though.
The majority of the byes that he gave away were things that should have been ****ing wides, but The umpires were beggining to take pity of Harmy & Plunkett at stages when they couldn't hit the deck.

The 2nd innings performance gave me hope for Harmison, and tbh most of you judging probably didn't see his bowling performance and are just going on the figures. Which indeed aren't good. In the 2nd innings Prior did make some mistakes due to the pitch doing anything other than behaving.

The 2nd innings performance gave me hope for Harmison, and tbh most of you judging probably didn't see his bowling performance and are just going on the figures. Which indeed aren't good. In the 2nd innings Prior did make some mistakes due to the pitch doing anything other than behaving.

so because he got a pitch that did alot he should be kept in the team? if the selectors had any guts whatsoever anderson would play in his place

No.
Harmison showed signs of his form coming back, why drop him now?
When he's starting to improve, that would be coaching suicide.

so because he got a pitch that did alot he should be kept in the team? if the selectors had any guts whatsoever anderson would play in his place

Same pitch as in the first innings where his bowling was poor.
His accuracy was much better second time round; he was putting together good spells rather than the odd good ball.

yeh just a little thing umm a pitch deteriorates

Doesn't make any difference if you can't put it in the right place. Plunkett bowled just as badly in the second innings (as in the first innings) and didn't get any wickets despite the pitch deteriorating...

yeh just a little thing umm a pitch deteriorates

Look, you clearly haven't seen how he bowled in the Test match or else you wouldn't be making your under-researched statements. Deteriorated pitch or no deteriorated pitch, it doesn't take a genius to realise that in the first innings he was bowling it wide and in the second innings he was length-perfect.

To back up what Matt and Colin are saying, even if there were cracks which could be compared to the Grand Canyon, its irrelevant, if the ball is at the right length, on the right line, its only justice to pick up wickets, and maybe in his second inning he was unlucky, but to be fair, if he bowled like he did in the second innings and had a bat like he did, im all for him up north!

Well whoever you want to blame, it has to stop really. The amount of extras in that match was the second highest ever. Most came from England and a large portion were byes. Can't afford that every game.

I'm sorry, are you just looking at the figures or did you watch a different game to everyone else ? I thought Prior was magnificent behind the stumps. He dealt with the stupid wides, the massive bounce, the large turn and the harmison pace. He did amazingly well i thought. The amount of extras were not down to Prior, the extras came due to the shocking bowling in the most part from England. You cannot expect a wicket keeper to be stopping some of those deliveries. I think he did very well to stop any of them. He performed brilliantly.

I'm sorry, are you just looking at the figures or did you watch a different game to everyone else ? I thought Prior was magnificent behind the stumps. He dealt with the stupid wides, the massive bounce, the large turn and the harmison pace. He did amazingly well i thought. The amount of extras were not down to Prior, the extras came due to the shocking bowling in the most part from England. You cannot expect a wicket keeper to be stopping some of those deliveries. I think he did very well to stop any of them. He performed brilliantly.

Totally agree, and Irottev, you say it was the second highest match with extras conceded, had we had G.Jones or C.Read, It would have been in the number one spot for conceding byes ;)

Totally agree, and Irottev, you say it was the second highest match with extras conceded, had we had G.Jones or C.Read, It would have been in the number one spot for conceding byes ;)

Fair enough Jones, but Read is the best keeper in the country, and he would have dealt just as well with them imo...

Fair enough Jones, but Read is the best keeper in the country, and he would have dealt just as well with them imo...

To be honest, he isnt, at the moment Prior is way ahead of him in standard of gloves and bat. But its your opinion, but i bet statistically Prior has done better than Read in the County game.

To be honest, he isnt, at the moment Prior is way ahead of him in standard of gloves and bat. But its your opinion, but i bet statistically Prior has done better than Read in the County game.

I meant he is the better keeper in terms of the actual job, with the gloves. No way am I saying that it shouldn't be Prior behind the stumps, I'm just saying that read would have coped just as well, if not better, with the gloves at Old Trafford than prior imo ;)

Read's batting technique isn't up to Test match standard. Whether or not Prior's is remains to be seen as quite frankly, myself and Sureshot could open the batting for England against this lot and we'd put on a 200 stand. I think Prior is here stay though; That wicket keeper spot is his for a long time coming.

Users who are viewing this thread