West Indies in India 2014/15

I think WI missed a good opportunity today by not winning the match. I think India is still not playing up to their potential. Shami has been amazing in this match and he definitely has to be our best ODI bowler. Once Mishra got the wicket of Pollard, he looked a totally different bowler. I still don't think both our spinners bowled that well in their first spell. Jadeja bowled too fast and didn't vary his pace.

Only two sides in world cricket ccould manage this. WI and Pakistan. WI are serious underachievers.
Agree for Pakistan in all formats. But West Indies are totally a different team in the T 20's. They cannot manage this in that format.

WI could take heart that they were dominating most of the game until that collapse, better teams have collapsed to spin in India like that. So once they improve in that area, i'd still back them to win - but its going to be a close series.

However If IND is smart, they would make sure the remaining pitches for this series are turners & pick they young lleft-arm chinaman bowler to support Mishra. That is suspect might be too much for WI batters to handle. Plus without Narine, IND potentially would have no fear of Narine hurting them on such a track.

I dont think this was that much of a turner - was definitely on the slower side though. Indian spinners started getting some grip and turn only after around the 30th over mark

But I am all for a rank turner and going in with Jadeja, Mishra, Kuldeep along with Umesh and Shami

Squad for the final two ODIs announced. Akshar Patel is the only addition, and the rest of the squad (14 players) have been retained (which is now a 15 member squad). No changes besides Patel's inclusion have been made.

What is interesting is where does Kuldeep Yadav feature in the pecking order now. Had the third ODI gone ahead perhaps he would have gotten a game. However now it seems unlikely, as perhaps both Mishra and Patel will be above Kuldeep Yadav in all likelihood.

Mishra was vital to India's win in the second ODI, and its hard to see India rotating him. Perhaps if India were 2-0 up it could have been done, but with the series 1-1 tied, and the winner of the next ODI assured of not losing the series, its hard to see India experimenting much.

The T20 squad has also been announced, and to be fair given no one really cares how the T20 will pan out, it doesn't matter who has made it to that side and who hasn't. Suffice it to say, it has 14 players, and once the match starts, we will see from a set of 22 batsmen, batsmen walk in and try to hoick every ball out of the park. At the end there will be a winner and 15 mins after that, no one will care at all about the match and forget there even was one.

What is much more important is that the Board President XI for the WI warm up match has also been announced. Plenty of interesting players worth keeping an eye on. For starters, The Board XI is being led by Suresh Raina. There has been some talk of his return to the test side, and even Ravi Shashtri has spoken in favor of his return. That Raina is leading the Board XI, its a very strong indication that Raina's return to the test side could be imminent.

Also worth noting is the inclusion of Jiwanjot Singh. The Punjab batsman had a stellar Ranji Season last year and finished as the top scorer at an average of 66.33. Also in the squad is Kashmir all-rounder Parvez Rasool. He was part of the squad for the Bangladesh Bi-lateral ODI series earlier in the year, and in the lone match he played, he took 2/60, and didn't get to bat. He had gone off the radar of the selectors after that series, but its good to see him back in the mix.

The Punjab batsman had a stellar Ranji Season last year and finished as the top scorer at an average of 66.33.

I thought Kedhar Jadhav and KL Rahul topped the charts last year for Ranji Trophy :| But Jiwanjot is a promising talent too. And its good these guys are getting exposure beyond the Ranji level

Jiwanjot Singh has been one of the very few guys in our backup pool who could put up a case for getting a spot in the Indian test team as an opener. Within the very few backup options for Vijay/Dhawan, Jiwanjot is one of the brightest of them all. KL Rahul is the next one.

India need to start breeding some good openers. And India should never again devalue the opener's position by making makeshift guys like Sehwag open for India as a permanent option. A makeshift option is just that - temporary.

P.s: I know Sehwag fans will pounce saying "Sehwag was a big success as an opener". But most of Sehwag's big runs came in favorable batting conditions (and most of those in the subcontinent).

I swear I wont get into the Sehwag debate again

But Sehwag was probably one of our best Test openers ever .. dammit :facepalm

India need to start breeding some good openers. And India should never again devalue the opener's position by making makeshift guys like Sehwag open for India as a permanent option. A makeshift option is just that - temporary.

P.s: I know Sehwag fans will pounce saying "Sehwag was a big success as an opener". But most of Sehwag's big runs came in favorable batting conditions (and most of those in the subcontinent).

The futility of a debate on Sehwag now, not be being lost, some things still need to be said. Sehwag was not "temporary". He was India's opener since 2002. He remained so till 2012. Yes the last one year was not great, but he performed consistently for 10 years. How is that temporary? An opener for 10 years + - temporary? :noway

Most runs came in fav. batting conditions - naturally any batsman will score more runs on a batting pitch. However you paint the picture as if his average takes nose dive and drops by 15 or 20.

Sehwag's overall average is 49.34, and if you filter for only "away tests" his average is 44.65. That is hardly a drop. India will kill to have an opener averaging 44.65 away from home.

Lets also keep in mind, as opener Sehwag has had 3 tours to Eng, 2 tours to Aus, 2 tours to SA (+1 as a middle order batsman), 2 tours to WI and a tour to Pakistan. To average 44 after this run is phenomenal.

Its not something to look down upon, but something worth trying to emulate. We will be lucky if India can find an opener who can average 40 (let alone nearly 45), on away series over 10 years.

Sehwag's overall average is 49.34, and if you filter for only "away tests" his average is 44.65. That is hardly a drop. India will kill to have an opener averaging 44.65 away from home.

Nice stat there. I am surprised to see this. Although I am pretty sure some of the matches in that include games in subcontinent conditions, but its still not home games

Despite all his flaws and despite all the gut-wrenching dismissals that he has given us, we would be lucky to have an in-form Sehwag on our tour to Australia. Its a different story that he is far from his best now and there is no chance of making a comeback

Nice stat there. I am surprised to see this. Although I am pretty sure some of the matches in that include games in subcontinent conditions, but its still not home games

Despite all his flaws and despite all the gut-wrenching dismissals that he has given us, we would be lucky to have an in-form Sehwag on our tour to Australia. Its a different story that he is far from his best now and there is no chance of making a comeback

Yeah Sehwag is done. Sadly he didnt retire, as legends deserve to go. To be dropped and then continue to struggle in domestic cricket is not how legends should go. Last season I think averaged than Nehra!!

He should have just retired.

Users who are viewing this thread