West Indies in India 2014/15

Benn is bowling really well, not sure about Pollard fielding at short leg though. Normally you would have someone small there.

What a match Marlon Samuels is having :)

Btw, after all the talk on cricinfo (on Sid Monga's article) about no one caring about WestIndies touring here in yet another series - that is a huge crowd turnout. Looks like a great atmosphere out there.
Its just because for their love for cricket.Kerala receives a cricket match rarely and people here make a carnival of it.The celebrations started day before yesterday here and even people from my locality a good distance away from Kochi has went there to watch the match.My friend had called me and he said despite they are sure India will lose today,they are just enjoying themselves there :p .

Well Done WI good win.

Poor decision to field first in hindsight. The pitch slowed down in the second innings was hard to hit. Raina getting bowled a perfect example of this.

Of course the terrible bowling didn't help. The spinners were disappointing, and the seamers rather ineffective. Not to mention this was the worst I had seen India field for ages in One Days.

Never underestimate any opposition. I think India thought they would of roll over wi due to the fact of this strike the players wanted to do. Wi put they feet down n played hard still alot of little issue with the bat wi had. The score could of been 350.
India goin to strike back hard in the next odi. WI need to prepared for it.

No boasting on my part, but my pre-series predictions are well known. I expect once WI play to their obvious talent potential, they can topple IND. They did it today without their best ODI batsman & bowler too vs a basically a full strengt IND team just missing Ashwin. And crucially in the backdrop of a another off the field player vs board strike threat, so that shows great professionalism by them.

I can't prove it here, but while observing a portion of game at the local pub my with India friend, i actually said Kohli was going to get caught at slip after watching his technique first ball & he was out net ball :lol

Jokes aside, if i a casual fan could make that heat of the moment call, then its obvious that international teams see the glaring deficiency in his technique now. Still rate him highly, but he has his 1st career defining technical challenge that he needs to get over.

No boasting on my part, but my pre-series predictions are well known. I expect once WI play to their obvious talent potential, they can topple IND. They did it today without their best ODI batsman & bowler too vs a basically a full strengt IND team just missing Ashwin. And crucially in the backdrop of a another off the field player vs board strike threat, so that shows great professionalism by them.

I can't prove it here, but while observing a portion of game at the local pub my with India friend, i actually said Kohli was going to get caught at slip after watching his technique first ball & he was out net ball :lol

Jokes aside, if i a casual fan could make that heat of the moment call, then its obvious that international teams see the glaring deficiency in his technique now. Still rate him highly, but he has his 1st career defining technical challenge that he needs to get over.
Yep i thought they handle it professionally. I am happy they kept the off field problem off feild and play a good day of Cricket. Playing well with both bat and ball. What i would like is be more consistent. Unlike in the past few year where wi use to take there off feild problems on feild and perform poorly. This was like the olden glory dayd.play proper cricket and then talk about the problen off field. Show wicb n wipa how good we are and need to pay us properly. I am happy they played well. And won the match. Now after saying all of thise i just hope ita not like before one match good and then plays crap

I am surprised that legends like Viv Richards talk such NONSENSE!
West Indies Cricket News: Wrong time to ban bowlers with suspect actions - Richards | ESPN Cricinfo

He is worried that it affects West Indies World Cup preparations. Does this say that he is OK with a West Indies World Cup win even if that win has been acquired by illegal means (i.e. having a player who bowls illegal deliveries)? And he is making subtle hints at a possible Indian hand in all this (the way he points out that this is happening just before the West Indies tour of India and the World Cup next year). Even if it has an Indian hand at it, I would be very happy that they are using it for this.

Its good that this thing is coming out before the World Cup. If there is an issue, its better to fix it before a World Cup is devalued by potentially illegal bowlers. Even if India had a bowler like this who was banned, I would say the same thing (its another surprisingly happy thing that India does not seem to have the environment to encourage the development of such unnatural bowlers). The only guy who comes to my mind was Harbhajan, who had once been reported for suspect action. And he immediately rectified it pretty early. No one else comes to mind from the Indian setup (who has played at international level).

Indian hand behind it all is nonsense. Even Ind players have been reported - Surya Kr. Yadav

They will say that he does not play for India in international cricket.

On the other hand, Ricky Ponting endorses it and agrees with the recent changes happening with regards to illegal actions
Australia Cricket News: Suspect actions allowed 'for way too long' - Ponting | ESPN Cricinfo

Agree with him! It has been allowed for too long, and has to change. Wonder what would have happened if Murali was still playing?

They will say that he does not play for India in international cricket.

On the other hand, Ricky Ponting endorses it and agrees with the recent changes happening with regards to illegal actions
Australia Cricket News: Suspect actions allowed 'for way too long' - Ponting | ESPN Cricinfo

Agree with him! It has been allowed for too long, and has to change. Wonder what would have happened if Murali was still playing?

To be honest, I think that Murali fit within the 15 degree rule. I know the rule was increased to 15 degrees primarily to accomodate Murali, but once it was increased to 15, I think Murali bowled with 15.

Infact here is a recent report with Murali saying that he was tested lots of times and on an average bowled at 10.4 degrees. So unless he is stupid enough to lie, which I doubt, he would have been fine.

Bowl within the rules, Muttiah Muralitharan urges bowlers | The Indian Express

Read a report in the Times of India, which to non Indian readers is not the most reliable of newspapers, with more focus on sensationalism than on getting things right. However the article said that WI players were all set to strike and had even missed the Trophy presentation and the Media interaction the previous day. The BCCI stepped in at this point, and sort of brokered a peace of sorts between the players and the WICB.

BCCI leaned on the players in a loose way, and let it be known that the series being boycotted would not exactly please the BCCI, and given that so many of the WI players play in the IPL, it would be something the WI players think of.

There was another meeting in the morning and the first ODI went ahead.

Why doesn't Dhoni bowl Bhuvi more at the death? His figures yesterday looked great because he didn't have to bowl any death overs. He bowled some really good yorkers in the series against us even though that was quite a while ago now. Kind of surprised Dhoni said he was happy with the bowlers, I thought Shami could have been a lot better at the end some really loose balls from him. He was hitting his yorkers great in England.

Why doesn't Dhoni bowl Bhuvi more at the death?

Bhuvi is not the fastest of bowlers, and relies heavily on the liveliness of the new ball to be effective. He usually gets the new ball to swing and seam, and is hard to score off.

However towards the end of the innings, his pace is the most ideal for hitting. He is further handicapped by the fact that the new old ball doesn't offer any help, and that is why Dhoni is reluctant to use him at the end overs. With no threat of any kind of movement, the Batsmen can just swing through the line and at his pace its not much of a challenge.

Dhoni prefers to give Bhuvi one long spell right at the start (7-8 overs), perhaps an over or two in the 20s overs, and thats it. Md. Shami is the one who is being prepared for the end over role for he can get yorkers going. I am sure he will get plenty of end overs bowling to hone in that skill before the world cup.

Users who are viewing this thread