West Indies in India 2014/15

PokerAce

Banned
With Ishant's continued omission from the ODI squad, do you guys feel that perhaps the door is now closed for him to get to the ODI World Cup?

Ishant was last part of the ODI squad, in NZ in Jan, but even there he didn't play in any of the last three ODIs on that tour and his since then has not played in any of the ODIs. He missed the last three ODIs in NZ, the Asia Cup, the ODI series vs B'desh, and the ODI series in Eng and now he is out of the WI series, which is really the final dress rehersal for the WC.

So does that mean Ishant's door to the WC is closed?

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
As an outsider I thought Sharma bowled pretty well against us in the Test series, Perhaps in India he wont be as effective a bowler as he was in England. I'd be surprised if he wasn't in the tri series squad come the new year.

PokerAce

Banned
As an outsider I thought Sharma bowled pretty well against us in the Test series, Perhaps in India he wont be as effective a bowler as he was in England. I'd be surprised if he wasn't in the tri series squad come the new year.

Yeah he did very well in the test series. I felt he was sure to get into the Eng series ODI side, but he was left out and given that he is not in the WI series side either, it would be a year since he last played in the series. To then suddenly draft him for the Aus triangular series and WC would be rather questionable.

greymatter776

Panel of Selectors
India
Mumbai Indians
Profile Flag
India
Just when Ishant seems to be back in touch,he gets dropped.Even picking Bhuvi and Shami wasn't good.I would have preferred some rest for them after a tiring series.

PokerAce

Banned
Well to be fair Ishant has been out of the side well before he hit form in England tests. He missed the Asia Cup and B'desh series earlier in the year.

So I think its unfair to say he was dropped once he seemed in touch. The Eng tests could have been a recall, but it seems he didn't do enough for the selectors.

Perhaps his door is closed for the WC. Right now I would say the seamers going into the WC are likely to be Bhuvi, Mohit, Umesh Yadav.

Even Varun Aaron doesn't seem to be in contention for the ODI squad, right now.

greymatter776

Panel of Selectors
India
Mumbai Indians
Profile Flag
India
Experience is what I would have liked in our seem attack.Zaheer was my hope but his injury shut the WC doors for him.Ishant was the other but got dropped.I am doubtful of the young seem attack to be successful in the Australian conditions in the absence of an experienced such as Zak or Ishant.

PokerAce

Banned
Yeah right now I think we could do better than Bhuvi, Md. Shami, Mohit and Umesh Yadav. Based on the recent selection trends this is the seam quartet for the WC.

Ishant or Varun Aaron should definitely get the nod. WHo do leave out would be tough. Mohit is perhaps the one most would go for, but I think I quite like his skiddy style. Perhpas drop Umesh Yadav, who has been rather wayward and inconsistant, at best at the top level.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Ishant just doesn't seem built for the ODI games - he has been absolutely horrible in the one day formats, and has been pretty good in Tests. I think it will be good if he keep it that way.

About the whole Narine episode, it is really unfortunate. I was looking forward to seeing how our batting holds up against his variations. Plus its almost a case of "guilty until proven innocent". As if the bowlers dint have it hard enough already

PokerAce

Banned
About the whole Narine episode, it is really unfortunate. I was looking forward to seeing how our batting holds up against his variations. Plus its almost a case of "guilty until proven innocent". As if the bowlers dint have it hard enough already

Well to be fair no one has asked him not to play, so he has not been pronounced guilty as yet. He is free to play, just that he or WICB has chosen not to.

greymatter776

Panel of Selectors
India
Mumbai Indians
Profile Flag
India
Would like to see what India's plans are in my hometown,Kochi.
The pitch always tend to be dry with cracks here and there,and is likely to support more spin and slow bowlers.The bounce can be the real problem for the bowl tend to keep low.Interestingly the pitch seems to like part time bowlers.In the last ODI India played here it was Suresh Raina who was successful with the bowl and Sachin made both of his five wickets here.Although I would say Kochi pitch is good for batting,the news reports suggest the pitch is made to suit both batting and bowling.The crowd here is very noisy,it would be a tough job for the Umpires.

PokerAce

Banned
Would like to see what India's plans are in my hometown,Kochi.
The pitch always tend to be dry with cracks here and there,and is likely to support more spin and slow bowlers.The bounce can be the real problem for the bowl tend to keep low.Interestingly the pitch seems to like part time bowlers.In the last ODI India played here it was Suresh Raina who was successful with the bowl and Sachin made both of his five wickets here.Although I would say Kochi pitch is good for batting,the news reports suggest the pitch is made to suit both batting and bowling.The crowd here is very noisy,it would be a tough job for the Umpires.

I think that the pitch will offer turn. WI seem to not enjoy it too much. Pace they handle fine, and especially Indian seamers they will handle with relative ease.[DOUBLEPOST=1412614113][/DOUBLEPOST]
get sachin in....for bowling ofcourse

Give him a knock in the middle too. Hear he fella was not bad with a bat in his hand. :p

greymatter776

Panel of Selectors
India
Mumbai Indians
Profile Flag
India
I think that the pitch will offer turn. WI seem to not enjoy it too much. Pace they handle fine, and especially Indian seamers they will handle with relative ease.[DOUBLEPOST=1412614113][/DOUBLEPOST]
Actually its a pitch where the bowl tends to grip,keep its line and keeps low.The one who doesn't turn the ball much but bowls wicket to wicket could get the wickets if the pitch behaves like how it was for the previous matches.Seamers have never seen to taste success here.However we cant make much assessments based on previous matches for the curator said that he had made changes to the pitch such that there would be a balance between bat and ball.

greymatter776

Panel of Selectors
India
Mumbai Indians
Profile Flag
India
Quoting something Starsports said;
"West Indies will win the first ODI !

Only if the match is reduced to 20 overs by rain."

grkrama

National Board President
raina in reckoning for tests

Ravi Shastri, the Indian team director, has talked up Suresh Raina's Test prospects after the batsman scored a glut of limited-over runs in recent months. Raina hasn't played Test cricket in more than two years, and hasn't played a first-class game in 2014, but Shastri is impressed by what he has seen of Raina bat.

"The more I see him play, he is brilliant to watch," Shastri said. "It will be my endeavour really to do something that will get him back into the Indian Test match team. He is a class act.

"When he is going he is a treat to watch. Even at times when I see him bat at the nets, when the ball hits the bat, just that sound or sense of timing you know it is something different. Let's hope, fingers crossed."

Users who are viewing this thread