Don Bradman Cricket Academy Beta 99.94d Available Now

Surprised no one noticed.. the bowling machine no longer moves side to side.. makes it VERY hard to judge the incoming ball, especially with pace.

+1!

In batsman(close) view it was kind of tough for me to place the fast & orthodox bowling. In particular, for orthodox bowling, I wasn't able to judge the release of the ball. After switching to batsman(far) camera mode, it got me better to judge & defend.

One another thing that I have a question, can the bowling machine pitch short on offside for right handed batsman? When I fix the line to be short for fast or fast medium, it is bowling short only in the leg side.

----------

By the way, couple of classy things I loved it - one of the LBWs that I was dismissed was pad & bat, which I felt 'wow!'. Definitely I would have gone for the review if it was on match & I felt the bat sound very clear, yet given out! Other was these straight drives that hit the stumps at other end. Loving the nets practice, non-stop! :D

The fact that you seem to get given lb or caught behind for edging the ball onto your pad is really ticking me off because I keep getting out like that when I've got a few. Having a great time apart from that.

I've made 64 twice and few scores in the late 40s. I don't mean this as a request but it would be ace if you got 4 for hitting the back wall.

@BigAntStudios - Not sure if it's a bug or just part of the game, but if you hold down the defensive trigger + L stick up + R Stick down (with either early or ideal timing), it does a kind of gentle edge along the floor/gentle 'run down to third man shot' depending on where you're standing - if the balls on or outside leg you edge down onto the stumps; if middle, off or outside off then a very delicate (with very little power it seems) edge along the floor occurs towards anywhere between first slip (balls on middle stump) to 3rd/4th slip (balls outside off). Anyone else seen/ played this?

The above was against fast, so I just tried it against spin and it seems a sure fire way to edge onto your stumps or behind. Balls that would be easily dealt with using the defensive trigger + L stick up + R stick up, are edged pretty much every time (outside edge, inside edge or toe) when R stick down is used instead of R stick up.

To test I did 30 balls using each technique, using both sticks up I edged 3 times (of about the 25 balls I actually hit), using L stick up R stick down I edged 19 of the 22 I hit, with the other three dropping at my feet.

I suppose it is actually very hard to play a fine, very delicate defensive shot in real life so maybe this is echoed in the game?

The fact that you seem to get given lb or caught behind for edging the ball onto your pad is really ticking me off because I keep getting out like that when I've got a few. Having a great time apart from that.

I've made 64 twice and few scores in the late 40s. I don't mean this as a request but it would be ace if you got 4 for hitting the back wall.

We really just hacked this in to make the nets more interesting, there are plenty of anomalies, I wouldn't class it as "out" for being caught, it's out for the edge (it's a very basic system).

Oh in my case, it wasn't an edge. It was a clean defense & ball just stayed in front of me. I was awarded 1 run too, what I assumed - it reset my score from 16 to 1( meaning, it was reset due to LBW & at same time got run for my defensive shot?) That's what I assumed.

----------

By the way anyone had chance to play short deliveries in offside when you fix the line/length as short for fast or fast medium bowlers?

We really just hacked this in to make the nets more interesting, there are plenty of anomalies, I wouldn't class it as "out" for being caught, it's out for the edge (it's a very basic system).

Yeah, I know dismissals aren't a proper planned feature, didn't intend it as a complaint.

Nevertheless, it's important to tell everyone when you get sawn off so they know your average should be higher.

Geez, pro camera is just classic! Definitely huge difference compared to playing in other camera modes. I personally felt to have good control in this mode & was able to play both fast and spin( which I mentioned to have struggles yesterday in pro gameplay mode ). Planning to spend more time in pro before I move out to legend mode as its just day 2 for me on CA. :D

Was dismissed once on 49, felt that real kicking frustration that I used to have while witnessing real matches.

To someone who mentioned few concerns on square cut - try as rookie first against orthodox/unorthodox spin & you would be able to play lot of square cuts before applying on higher difficulty levels.

By the way anyone had chance to play short deliveries in offside when you fix the line/length as short for fast or fast medium bowlers?

The machine seems to be bowling only middle-leg line for short pitched bowling, so use a marker instead to make it bowl towards off.

Yeah, I know dismissals aren't a proper planned feature, didn't intend it as a complaint.

Nevertheless, it's important to tell everyone when you get sawn off so they know your average should be higher.

I also got a weird dismissal couple of times - slogged on leg side, was in late time zone though I managed to edge & ball landed near non striker stumps. 'Howzaat' came immediately after my edge & my score was reset to 1. :D anyways, it was closed eyes slog. LOL.

----------

The machine seems to be bowling only middle-leg line for short pitched bowling, so use a marker instead to make it bowl towards off.

Oh, thank you I will try it out. :)

One thing I've noticed is that it seems that the pro camera has become much harder to use in the last couple of updates. Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me and it was always like that, but the camera is shaking a bit too much just before I play and as I play the ball, meaning I can't see where the ball is going and where I played it to. I'm up for a challenging game, but it seems to have become a bit too challenging to use the pro camera, so I can barely use it.

I guess it's due to eye of the batsman being too much focused on the ball? If you hit straight, you wouldn't notice too much spin of camera. But, if you defend in sides & yes it's very challenging to get the focus back as bowling machine would have already triggered the ball with head of batsman first going to focus of ball & then to batting stanza which causes a spin in display a bit.

Last edited:
One thing I've noticed is that it seems that the pro camera has become much harder to use in the last couple of updates. Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me and it was always like that, but the camera is shaking a bit too much just before I play and as I play the ball, meaning I can't see where the ball is going and where I played it to. I'm up for a challenging game, but it seems to have become a bit too challenging to use the pro camera, so I can barely use it.

The Pro camera would be my camera of choice but due to the 'tunnel vision' aspect I find it very hard to see the ball until it is right upon me. Could be my 96 year old eyes.
I wish the Pro camera was similar to the close batsman view. I think you are correct ChinamanSpin, the camera does seem to shake/move more than it did. I can only use it for a couple of minutes and then I have call get a bucket to be sick into.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread