Don Bradman Cricket Academy V 1.00 Beta is available (Updated 28/03)

Bit more feedback on advance shots. At the moment they only seem to be for slogging. It's already been mentioned that advance and smother would be great but also advance and ground stroke should be possible. Maybe it is and I'm just using too much analogue stick causing it to slog.

can some one enlighten me whether pushing las front is front foot and should we hold it?ras is shot direction and should we hold it?

I know that we can choose the bowling machine to bowl Seam, Inswing or Outswing. But is there any way where the bowling machine will randomly select the type of delivery and bowl it rather than setting it tow bowl one type from the deliveries available?

can some one enlighten me whether pushing las front is front foot and should we hold it?ras is shot direction and should we hold it?

You should hold the las front for front foot until you are done hitting the ball. The ras needs to be timed perfectly to hit the ball.

After playing the nets for a while I think it is decent. Here are some things that went through my head while playing it - ( sorry, long comment)

- Lots of options for lot of things. Impressive
- Nice menu graphics and pleasing audio
- Loads quite quick
- Hopefully supports nvidia 3d vision. I love playing games in 3D. I'm playing Tomb Raider in 3D on a 3D projector and it is simply amazing
- overall, it is very impressive and looks very advanced and worthy of circa 2013 game

- the gameplay is actually challenging.
- square shots look weird but are functional
- ball sounds "plasticky" with a pop rather than the pleasing "tock" sound.
- didn't see any marked diff between front foot and back foot shots animation point of view
- it was initially very tough till I changed batsman to very good and bowler to rookie and enabled bowling marker
- moving right stick (xbox 360 controller) just a bit doesn't cause any movement. Need to move it almost all the way. So how do you control shot speed for say a quick single type shot?
- advance down the wicket is almost impossible for fast bowlers, doable easily for spinners. The batsman moves in a diagonal exposing stumps and hitting cross bat like baseball instead of straighter.
- how do you play sweeps?
- left stick back and front foot movement - how does the analog stick moving sideways affect that?
- how do you move batsman before ball is pitched? the guy wasn't moving with left stick
- couldn't do lofted shots with just trigger + right stick. He just kept hitting it like without trigger
- helmet cam looks good but is a bit headache inducing
- is it possible to have umpire viewpoint in addition to behind batsman view. I prefer that at times. Maybe also couple of other view points.
- would control scheme be only with controller sticks? No option for face buttons? It is a bit unintuitive really. After some initial learning curve, it does get easier but it might be annoying for first timers. Some shots require left stick one way while right another. Worked best if I premeditated it rather than be natural. I hated this control scheme on MLB baseball games. Personally, I prefer IC10 control mechanism the best.
- orthodox shots - I saw only one shot type which I never managed to connect but looks interesting.
- shot timing was a mystery to me. Without the feedback I wasn't sure whether it was good contact or not although I seemed to middle most shots.
- saw a bunch of edges but nothing like top edges or 'realistic' ones.
- I would love an option where the net practice actually has no nets. ;). Have the same thing (small alley view) without the net restriction so you can see ball travel on sides and gauge what shots look like

I liked the nets from Cricket Revolution a lot along with EA Cricket 07 (or maybe i'm thinking another game).

Overall, I am quite happy with what it is. Given the dearth of cricket games, any game is instant buy from me to support its development and continuation. I bought Ashes 13 and although it was canceled and is filled with bugs at least you can play a game. Not saying it is good, just that it is (i.e. exists). I've managed to play a match.

Looking forward to the release of this game.

I actually really enjoy the sounds in the net. The edge sounds are particularly pleasing.
- is it possible to have umpire viewpoint in addition to behind batsman view. I prefer that at times. Maybe also couple of other view points.
There are many camera options in the full game, such as behind the bowler.
how do you play sweeps?
Unorthodox shot button. Or RB/R1
- how do you move batsman before ball is pitched? the guy wasn't moving with left stick
With the left stick. He doesn't move a lot though.

Other than this you've made some good points, although I've seen quite a few "realistic edges" and I don't think the Pro Cam is headache inducing, although that may be different for others.

Last edited:
I have seen tip edges to pull shots. Actually there is even a video of it someone posted with all kinds of edges including a top edge.

My favourite edge I've had is a pull shot on to the body and then to short leg. There are also lots of bat pad edges as well as convential ones.

Playing against spin, ball pitches on middle and leg, I miss it and it goes on to hit the top of off stump :thumbs

MY favorite edge had been on a wide ball down the leg side. Would have been wide by a mile but still went for the pull and it brushed the bat. And hopefully the wicketkeeper will miss it too and it will go down as a 4 :P

Great Net session I have just had, Ross will there be a match practice version before the release?

MY favorite edge had been on a wide ball down the leg side. Would have been wide by a mile but still went for the pull and it brushed the bat. And hopefully the wicketkeeper will miss it too and it will go down as a 4 :P

I think I inside edged one off a spinner so it wouldn't have gone far, but it's nice to see that inside edges might properly be in a cricket game for the first time. The ones in IC10 and AC09 don't count as proper inside edges because it would go to short fine leg of a 90 mph bowler.

----------

Great Net session I have just had, Ross will there be a match practice version before the release?

I don't think Ross would give that away for free. Anyway, he wants to get the game out as soon as possible so it's unlikely we will get any more tasters.

Not sure if you've ever faced a bowling machine but that is EXACTLY how they sound, because the balls aren't leather. They are this (not necessarily yellow but normally a bright colour as they are used indoors normally)

20081025175412-250x250.jpg

You can put cricket balls in a bowling machine but they don't work as well. The way a bowling machine achieves swing is similar to a golf ball (hence the dimples) and not like a cricket ball where you use the seam.

These balls are also a lot more durable. If you only used cricket balls in bowling machines it'd be very expensive. They're also not as good for the machine.

Not sure if you've ever faced a bowling machine but that is EXACTLY how they sound, because the balls aren't leather. They are this (not necessarily yellow but normally a bright colour as they are used indoors normally)

You can put cricket balls in a bowling machine but they don't work as well. The way a bowling machine achieves swing is similar to a golf ball (hence the dimples) and not like a cricket ball where you use the seam.

These balls are also a lot more durable. If you only used cricket balls in bowling machines it'd be very expensive. They're also not as good for the machine.

I was thinking the same thing, but I highly doubt Big Ant would have gone to the trouble of taking a sound capture of bowling machine balls just for the nets. If they have, kudos to them.

I too do think the edge sounds aren't what you hear in real life though from a cricket ball and the bowling machine balls don't sound that different in reality (unfortunately I've heard it too many times!). It's hard to explain, but in cricket academy it sounds like more of a "tick" rather than a faint woody "snick" in real life.

Also, the faintness of the snick is too much for most edged. What you hear in game normally only happens when the ball only catches the slightest edge and doesn't deviate. There should be heavier more pronounced snicks and thud sounds when the ba is going to slips / gully.

It's only a minor gripe really though. It wouldn't bother me playing full game how it is now, but just saying as compared to real life.

Users who are viewing this thread