Don Bradman Cricket Academy V 1.00 Beta is available (Updated 28/03)

Not sure if you've ever faced a bowling machine but that is EXACTLY how they sound, because the balls aren't leather. They are this (not necessarily yellow but normally a bright colour as they are used indoors normally)

You can put cricket balls in a bowling machine but they don't work as well. The way a bowling machine achieves swing is similar to a golf ball (hence the dimples) and not like a cricket ball where you use the seam.

These balls are also a lot more durable. If you only used cricket balls in bowling machines it'd be very expensive. They're also not as good for the machine.

Interesting. I've played the game with the leather ball as a teenager and in the nets back then a couple of times but never with a machine.

Kudos to them if they've gone through the trouble of capturing the net sound and making it authentic.
That means the real game ball sounds would sound....er.. real. If so, excellent.

Interesting. I've played the game with the leather ball as a teenager and in the nets back then a couple of times but never with a machine.

Kudos to them if they've gone through the trouble of capturing the net sound and making it authentic.
That means the real game ball sounds would sound....er.. real. If so, excellent.

Yeah it sounds very different. Hitting the bowling machine balls isn't as satisfying as the ball just springs off and the sound doesn't change much from shot to shot. With a leather ball you really can hear the difference in the quality of shots. When you get down on one knee and nail a cover drive and hear that great pop, not much beats it! Equally, when you get one right on the splice you really can hear (and feel) the difference. From the playtests captured during real games, it seems like they do have the leather on willow sound

They have also managed to capture the nice echo sound of inside the nets. If I am to be VERY picky with the sound, I would point out that they have the sound of the batsman's boots scratching on a turf surface, yet the nets are synthetic and hence have a different, much quieter sound.

Great Net session I have just had, Ross will there be a match practice version before the release?

Nets is all of the "gameplay" that will be in the Academy.

The Nets are to say thanks for the patience, Merry Christmas, and to prove the quality of the game to the pessimists.

The sounds in the Nets FWIW is sourced from the real word Nets.

Hey Ross, just wanted to say that as a red/green colour blind individual, I have not had any problems distinguishing the different colours, which I believe indicate what length the ball will pitch. Was something I raised many months ago on the Big Ant forums, and I remember you mentioned that you were aware of the colour blind issues that had been in previous cricket games, so thought you'd like to know it seems great to me.

As a side note, nets are flipping excellent!

Had my first chance to have a decent hit today.
I must say a huge congratulations to Ross, Mikey and the team at BigAnt.
Very, very impressed with what I have seen so far.

Firstly the subtleties of the gameplay are what I have been very excited about. Having played many seasons of cricket over the years, the timing for playing the ball is spot on. It feels like you are actually facing a ball machine in the way that you have to watch the ball and play the right angle. The timing of the strokeplay is so similar to reality that I feel they must have consulted many cricketers to nail that!

The shot strength is also much more realistic than any other game that we have seen before. A good stroke goes a reasonable distance but it is the mishits where the game shines. It is almost as if you can 'feel' the difference when the shot is played. That is something that cricket games have sorely missed, where alot of games felt as if the ball was either going for 6 or going to be out.

I was also able to replicate most shots but it was particularly rewarding to play the right shot to a particular delivery and see it fly. It was also good to see that although you could play almost every delivery off either the front or back foot, choosing the correct footwork resulted in a much better shot.

The sound is also perfect and the lighting and graphics are fantastic.
Well done again lads, you should be very pleased and I'm sure you cannot wait for the launch!:cheers

The Nets are to say thanks for the patience, Merry Christmas, and to prove the quality of the game to the pessimists.

why Cricket academy only support x360 controller.everyone have to use emulators to make it wok.please provide an update so it support any generic gamepad..

Thnx

Does that mean sound in the nets is different from the gameplay sound of the bat hitting the ball? :eek:

Wow. That's a pretty impressive detail. Is there a different echo in the nets?

Surely there is. You can hear that it sounds like a ball being struck in an indoor cricket centre.

Can anybody else hear the car driving past in the background sometimes? Or maybe I'm hearing things?

Surely there is. You can hear that it sounds like a ball being struck in an indoor cricket centre.

Can anybody else hear the car driving past in the background sometimes? Or maybe I'm hearing things?

Surely that must be you :p

My favourite moment is when the police shout, "come out with your hands up". I was very impressed, even more so with the extra detail of having them crash through my window.

That is the sort of thing our sound guy would put in, I will ask (I am being serious).

Ross, watching Aussie pacers terrorise English batsmen at WACA just thought whether the pitches in the game will behave as varied as bouncy WACA (good length ball chest high) to a subcontinental ankle grazer (good length ball knee high)?

Users who are viewing this thread