Don Bradman Cricket Academy V 1.00 Beta is available (Updated 28/03)

I don't know what cricket you're watching....Swann routinely drifts it away from the RHB and then spins it in. That's the whole point of drift

You are missing the point completely. It's just not about drifting away, but the 'way' it drifts away or the trajectory of drift. Watch the trajectory of Swann drifting it away and then compare it with the trajectory of a similar delivery in Nets.

Just goes on to show the point I'm trying to bring to notice. Watch the trajectory of drift in the vid and then watch the drift of a similar delivery in Nets.

So far from what I've seen in the nets, the trajectory of an Left-Arm Orthodox bowling Around the wicket to a RH is similar to a leggie bowling the around the same spot to a RH batsman!

http://www.youtube.com/upload

I'm afraid I can't agree with you. I think the drift and spin is very well implemented.

I agree that the drift and spin is very well implemented. It really has been. My point is only regarding the trajectory/path of the drift, not the drift itself.

Last edited:
You are missing the point completely. It's just not about drifting away, but the 'way' it drifts away or the trajectory of drift. Watch the trajectory of Swann drifting it away and then compare it with the trajectory of a similar delivery in Nets.

Just goes on to show the point I'm trying to bring it to notice. Watch the trajectory of drift in the vid and then watch the drift of a similar delivery in Nets.

I agree that the drift and spin is very well implemented. It really has been. My point is only regarding the trajectory/path of the drift, not the drift itself.

What is the point you are trying to make about the 'way' it drifts? Are you suggesting that the drift in the game is too pronounced? Or that the trajectory of the ball in the air is is too curved, first going inwards, then outwards (for an offie), before hitting the pitch?

I do tend to think that the drift is a bit too strong in the game, ie, the curve is too pronounced.

Shane Warne's ball to Gatting is an anomaly, as is Shane Warne's action itself, so I wouldn't use that as an example.

Look at Harbhajan Singh, for instance, who was known to give the ball a lot of flight during his earlier days. Check this video from 0:15 to 0:20 to see what I mean - the off-spinner's ball does not drift outwards as much as it does in the game.

Watch Graeme Swann here from 0:31 to 0:38. Notice how the trajectory of the ball is begins slightly straight, then quickly starts moving away, then really moves a lot just before it pitches. In the game, the trajectory begins by moving INWARDS (left to right), then outwards, which makes the curve more pronounced.

Another example - Saqlain Mushtaq here. In all the deliveries bowled, the trajectory of the drift is not as curved as it is made out to be in the game.

If this is what you are talking about, shan111, then I tend to agree with you. It seems slightly unnatural, though much more natural than it would have been without the drift. Or perhaps its just the 2-dimensional nature of our screens.

Last edited:
Is it possible to advance down the track only to defend or run down the ball to long on?

What is the point you are trying to make about the 'way' it drifts? Are you suggesting that the drift in the game is too pronounced? Or that the trajectory of the ball in the air is is too curved, first going inwards, then outwards (for an offie), before hitting the pitch?

I do tend to think that the drift is a bit too strong in the game, ie, the curve is too pronounced.

Shane Warne's ball to Gatting is an anomaly, as is Shane Warne's action itself, so I wouldn't use that as an example.

Look at Harbhajan Singh, for instance, who was known to give the ball a lot of flight during his earlier days. Check this video from 0:15 to 0:20 to see what I mean - the off-spinner's ball does not drift outwards as much as it does in the game.

Watch Graeme Swann here from 0:31 to 0:38. Notice how the trajectory of the ball is begins slightly straight, then quickly starts moving away, then really moves a lot just before it pitches. In the game, the trajectory begins by moving INWARDS (left to right), then outwards, which makes the curve more pronounced.

Another example - Saqlain Mushtaq here. In all the deliveries bowled, the trajectory of the drift is not as curved as it is made out to be in the game.

If this is what you are talking about, shan111, then I tend to agree with you. It seems slightly unnatural, though much more natural than it would have been without the drift. Or perhaps its just the 2-dimensional nature of our screens.

The bolded part is what I'm trying to point out. I hope you have noticed that the drift in air sometimes as if a medium pacer bowling outswingers and then after pitching it turns in. It is indeed too pronounced.

Also if you watch this video, you'll notice that a trajectory of a left-arm offie bowling to RH batsman ATW is similar to a leggie bowling a similar delivery OTW to a RH batsman!!

CA Nets Trajectory comparison. - YouTube

Here is an example of an offie bowling ATW to a RH batsman in CA Nets. Notice the drift.. that is simply brilliant.
http://youtu.be/wQSKxIpFPHk

Last edited:
The bolded part is what I'm trying to point out. I hope you have noticed that the drift in air sometimes as if a medium pacer bowling outswingers and then after pitching it turns in. It is indeed too pronounced.

I have to agree with you on this.

I did some reading, and came across this very detailed (and frankly, quite confusing) resource: Pencil Cricket: Wrist-spin and the Magnus effect

Refer to the point where he speaks about "How the Magnus Effect varies over the ball's trajectory".

In this image, he writes about a square leg break, such as Shane Warne or Sachin Tendulkar's exaggerated deliveries.

seam2.jpg

Note how the ball does drift outwards in the beginning, then inwards, before pitching. So that direction in the game is correct, though only for a sharp wrist spinning action. However, the outward drift in the game is too strong based on that image.

Scroll down further to this image where he writes about a regular leg spinner.

seam4.jpg

Scientist guy on pencilcricket said:
Now you'll see that at A the ball starts with no drift, as the axis of rotation and direction of motion are the same. However, as soon as it leaves the hand its downward acceleration due to gravity starts to create an angle and so produce drift, and this time it's all drift towards leg

This is the way a regular leg spinner should be - low to no drift when it is released from the hand, then sideways drift from L to R (into the right hander), before pitching and turning away.

While it is correct to see drift, there is too much here, the ball is behaving like a balloon blowing in the wind

Two things:

a) The bowling machine is a perfect ball, as in perfect input - you wont be doing that very often on the field :p

b) This is a video game guys, it will be exaggerated!

I think they might have made this decision to make playing against the spin more challenging. In all previous games, all spinners used to be pie chuckers. If that's the case then we can ignore it as an artistic decision by the company.

Two things:

a) The bowling machine is a perfect ball, as in perfect input - you wont be doing that very often on the field :p

b) This is a video game guys, it will be exaggerated!

Would AI bowl like that against us in the matches?

Would AI bowl like that against us in the matches?

----------

Drift looks a bit more than usual, but it's to hard to master it. I was able to pick it straightway so I am pretty sure with a bit of practice it well get easier to play your shots.

Possibly, based in the bowler, fatigue, ball wear, etc... the AI can only do what you can do though, no cheating.

Drift looks a bit more than usual, but it's not hard to master it. I was able to pick it straightway so I am pretty sure with a bit of practice it well get easier to play your shots.

I think they might have made this decision to make playing against the spin more challenging. In all previous games, all spinners used to be pie chuckers. If that's the case then we can ignore it as an artistic decision by the company.
Agreed, whenever you come up against a spinner in pretty much every other cricket game you score 20+ an over.

Something unrelated that I've found slightly irritating though is the close camera when you set the bowling machine to go round the wicket - your player's body blocks you from seeing the ball. You can set it to the Far camera and it's playable then, but you'd have to go into the menu and manually do this whenever it changes from over to round.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread