Group C - ENGLAND, United States, Algeria, Slovenia

A couple of you guys are taking cheap shots at me. It's logical since you've got someone to go after and throw your anger at.

Nevertheless I still find the England team a great team and that they are simply not playing to their potential.

I am hoping that they will Joe Cole in their team. He is a great player and he should be tried.

The strange thing is that Algeria has still a chance to qualify. It will be a big surprise if they go through.

There you have it - which is what myself and others were saying yesterday. England is a great team, but they are massively underachieving.

I think Rooney performance was slightly below par yesterday! Looked rather frustrated at not being able to find any space in the field. It was just disappointing to see the mid-field work their way through till the edge of the box and then lose possession
:facepalm

Rooney was way below par, as was everyone else.

England have good players who never seem to perform for the national side when it is required the most. Its time they did their talking on the pitch. Surely Croatia can't be seen as a benchmark for a team that wants to win the World Cup.

If England were playing how they were during the qualification games, we'd have six points now, and bags of goals - fact. Remember that during that qualification period (or just after it - can't remember), we also beat Germany - in Berlin - for the first time in 70 years or something. So, it's not just Croatia. Interestingly enough, that Berlin victory was achieved by our B team more or less. Hint, hint, Mr Capello?

I know England fans are mad, but this is too much.

Furious fan breaches dressing room
June 19, 2010
World Cup 2010: Furious fan breaches England dressing room - ESPN Soccernet

Unbelievable! He could've been a suicide bomber, or anything. Seriously. :facepalm

Anyway, to come back to it. In the next match, we need to play the fringe guys. They'll come on and play with no fear - the confidence of the current lineup is as shot as Robert Green's is. Joe Cole must play! If Rooney is played, he needs to be played further up the pitch, as he was for Utd, as he was during the qualification games!

Regarding Rooney - sorry son, but you were out of order. You were all rubbish - the fans had every right to boo you off.

Speaking of fans, what is the one thing a team needs when it isn't playing well? No, not a half time bollocking. I'm talking about during the match. What is it that can lift a team?

The 'twelfth man'. Who cannot be heard because of the most idiotic supporter 'instrument' to ever hit football - the vuvuzela. As well as stripping every single game of its unique identity (provided by fans chants/songs), it's making the entire crowd participation one note! It's like football games in the old days when the crowd didn't react to attacking/freekicks/corners. All one note. Whoever didn't ban this piece of plastic rubbish needs a slap. I don't know about you guys, but the overall reaction of the vast majority of fans to the vuvuzela must seriously jeopardise Africa's chance of getting another World Cup any time soon.

Now, I know some here will jump on me for that statement, but it's a fact. If the players can't hear the fans, they can't be lifted by them. :facepalm

Speaking of fans, what is the one thing a team needs when it isn't playing well? No, not a half time bollocking. I'm talking about during the match. What is it that can lift a team?

The 'twelfth man'. Who cannot be heard because of the most idiotic supporter 'instrument' to ever hit football - the vuvuzela. As well as stripping every single game of its unique identity (provided by fans chants/songs), it's making the entire crowd participation one note! It's like football games in the old days when the crowd didn't react to attacking/freekicks/corners. All one note. Whoever didn't ban this piece of plastic rubbish needs a slap. I don't know about you guys, but the overall reaction of the vast majority of fans to the vuvuzela must seriously jeopardise Africa's chance of getting another World Cup any time soon.

I'm someone who is actually pro-vuvuzela. I have a South African friend who has one and we went to Lisbon for a football tournament, our girls side got hold of it during our games and blew it for us, and fair to say it spurred me on.

It also goes to say that if you can't be lifted by the fact your playing for your country on the biggest stage of them all staring a flight home in the face, then nothing is gonna lift you.

I'm someone who is actually pro-vuvuzela. I have a South African friend who has one and we went to Lisbon for a football tournament, our girls side got hold of it during our games and blew it for us, and fair to say it spurred me on.

Is that a euphemism? :laugh

BBC - World Cup Motty: England need to make changes to advance

Inspirational speech from the the voice of football.

He summed it up perfectly - and also made interesting points about how we started the two World Cups in 1986 and 1990, barely getting out of the group stages, but then going on and doing well until being knocked out in the quarter finals in 1986 - thanks to Diego Maradona being a cheating git, and then in 1990 in the semis vs Germany to our old friend penalites; even though back then, it was actually uncharted territory for England.

As he said, Gerrard or Joe Cole just behind Rooney. Heskey has to go, as does SWP. Lennon didn't look too good either, but I rate him higher than SWP. Personally, I'd go with Gerrard just behind Rooney and play Joe Cole where Gerrard is now - out on the left. As Motty said, the one thing those two World Cups had in common were that after the group stages, Bobby Robson saw that he had to change tactics - and did. Capello is very inflexible. He needs to develop some flexibility between now and Wednesday otherwise we're going home. If we play with that system, that lineup and that lack of belief against Slovenia, they will polish us off easily.

Edit: These people saying that England never had a chance of winning the Cup and so on need to take off the Anti England spectacles. Do they really think that's the best this team are capable of? England probably played to about 20% of their ability against Algeria - even playing the way we did against the USA, we would've beaten them 2 or 3-0 no problem. It's all on Wednesday now - and England are usually at their best with their backs right up against the wall. Usually...

Last edited:
Gareth Southgate has got the right idea - there is no point in the lads sitting through the Algeria debacle again - sit them in front of the qualifiers! Sit them in front of the Germany game in Berlin! They need a boost right now, not to be reminded of that Algeria disaster! Remind them of what they can actually do, and then go out and destroy Slovenia, as we would've done during the qualifications!

I was googling vuvuzelas just now, and there's even a site called 'banvuvzela.com'!

I got this from another site:

There is a time and place for everything...For example do a repertoire:

1. Everybody in the stadium blow on the vuvuzela's for a short time after a goal or some sort of light is shown in the stadium, but not all the time!!

2. Then, when not blowing on the Vuvu, sings 5 or so different songs or have maybe 3 or so unique crowd movements ? also announced by some stadium light!!

But please sing "Ole ole ole ole?" only 2 times during a match?Don?t know which one is worse: the constant mosquito sound of the Vuvu?s or the one and only ?ole ole ole?? song we still cling on to since the ?95 rugby world cup!!

Come on SA, we are much more imaginative and original than this!!

The main objective I think of the SWC 2010 is for the visitors to return after the tournament, not to chase them away!!

One SA fan who has the right idea. If they weren't blown incessantly, I reckon they'd add a lot to the games. As it is, they're stripping each game of its identity.

Users who are viewing this thread