ICCCT2006: Final - Aus vs WI

Just 16 posts in this thread!
Not too suprising imo as this tournament doesn't seem to have caused too much excitement anywhere.

Yeah well I have only seen the highlights on the news because I don't have FOX Sports 3 :(. But I have FOX Sports 1 & 2.

If Australia show-up and don't have their minds on the Ashes then I think they will win.

barmyarmy said:
Just 16 posts in this thread!
Not too suprising imo as this tournament doesn't seem to have caused too much excitement anywhere.
Completely disagree. On the contrary this has been a very exciting tournament (except for England I suppose), with a lot of close fought challenges. The bowling pitches also posed something that tested the batsmen, and captaincy has also been important in this series. Over all, I'd say this tournament has been a good watch.

Thing is, now that it's the final people lose interest when their team don't make it. Although many neutrals will watch the final, including me, it does mean that there are fewer people on this discussion. Add to that, there are few Windian guys on here.

I'm supporting the Windies. Just don't care too much about posting about a match before it starts, unless India is playing.

Looks like the Aussies will be sticking with the same team so that means we're be going overtime again :( Watson better step up with his batting, if he has another shocker Katich looks more than likely to come back which stuffs up the balance of our team.

I agree Katich is more than likely to return but is it time to give Jaques another shot?? I believe so especially in the upcoming Commonwealth Bank Series.

Windies are on hot form especially Gayle, but the Aussies are still easily favourites. Their finals record in any tournament has always been impressive, and it will have to be a masterclass performace by the Windies to regain the title.

Katich back? I doubt that. Katich can't field, bat or bowl Watson can do all three (sometimes) :D. I donno about Jaques his technique doesnt seem up to scratch to me..

I'm a bit worried about this game.

The windies have already beaten us once in this tourney, they are the defending champions. I feel like we are the outsiders for the final

This won't be an easy one. Australia really must life their game to be any chance here

kodos said:
I agree Katich is more than likely to return but is it time to give Jaques another shot?? I believe so especially in the upcoming Commonwealth Bank Series.

Katich back, now thats not a good news, watson is not so good to open in ODI's but still he can score runs more quickly than katich.

langerrox said:
Katich back? I doubt that. Katich can't field, bat or bowl Watson can do all three (sometimes) :D. I donno about Jaques his technique doesnt seem up to scratch to me..

Jaques has scored a ton of runs, technique might not look pretty but hes good enough to score the runs. Either way, if Watson doesn't work our team balance will be screwed unless Clarke moves to opener.

Also appears Hogg might win back selection now, with the pitch deciding the team. Hopefully Hogg stands up, if he does come in as always he'll be a weak link and one to attack.

y2j826 said:
Katich back, now thats not a good news, watson is not so good to open in ODI's but still he can score runs more quickly than katich.

That may be so but would you rather have a quick fired 20 off 15 deliveries or a score of 45 off 55-60 deliveries?? I'm not saying that I prefer Katich, but judging by the selector's inept selections in the past, we will most likely see Katich back and not give Jaques a go.

aussie1st said:
Jaques has scored a ton of runs, technique might not look pretty but hes good enough to score the runs. Either way, if Watson doesn't work our team balance will be screwed unless Clarke moves to opener.
I donno if it's good enough to score runs agaisnt international bowlers, he doesnt get behind the ball and just swings:p I still think that Martyn should open the batting, he averages 70 from that positon, move watson to 4 so we have

Gilchrist
Martyn
Ponting
Watson
Symonds
Clarke
Hussey
etc

woah, i just dug up this match check it out!!
http://www.howstat.com.au/cricket/Statistics/Matches/MatchScorecard_ODI.asp?MatchCode=1771

langerrox said:

And technique is everything? Jaques has scored so many runs over the past few years it doesn't matter what his technique is like. And he has barely been given a go at international level.

Martyn wouldn't be a bad move at the top of the order, he would have scored the fastest hundred by an Australian if Bevan wasn't so selfish and wanted to score a few more runs for his average. But I think Watson would make a good opening batsmen, to use his batting ability to it's full extent he needs to be up the order. He isn't a guy who can just go out and start slogging.

As well as the fact that if he bowls well he can give you a full 10 over spell, and if he doesn't that's still 3-6 overs bowled.

Users who are viewing this thread