ICCCT2006: Final - Aus vs WI

Iron-Haggis said:
And technique is everything? Jaques has scored so many runs over the past few years it doesn't matter what his technique is like. And he has barely been given a go at international level.

Martyn wouldn't be a bad move at the top of the order, he would have scored the fastest hundred by an Australian if Bevan wasn't so selfish and wanted to score a few more runs for his average. But I think Watson would make a good opening batsmen, to use his batting ability to it's full extent he needs to be up the order. He isn't a guy who can just go out and start slogging.
I like Watson opening but I don't think the selectors will be so happy with lowish scores with Jaques, Hayden and Katich knocking on the door, I still reckon Martyn should be given another shot opening.

*thinks back to the twenty20 agaisnt south africa* :eek:

Martyn could be an interesting one. Hes shown lately he can go crazy at the start but also can stay in there when needed. Watson should be given a bit more time and told to stop slogging it when Gilly is there and to stop slogging from ball 1.

Yeh the main reason why Martyn has been in the runs because he hasn't got carried away. In the VB Series / SA one he would hit a four/six and then try again next ball, now he waits for the bad ones

puddleduck said:
As well as the fact that if he bowls well he can give you a full 10 over spell, and if he doesn't that's still 3-6 overs bowled.

I don't want to point out the obvious but the fact he does bowl for us has nothing to do with whether he should open the batting for us, and his bowling isn't flash either. I think Chappelli summed it up best.

"Every time Watson claims a victim, Australian players converge and the congratulatory ceremony leads you to assume he's performed a minor miracle and dismissed Sachin Tendulkar and Brian Lara with the same delivery."

dtrain said:
I don't want to point out the obvious but the fact he does bowl for us has nothing to do with whether he should open the batting for us, and his bowling isn't flash either. I think Chappelli summed it up best.

"Every time Watson claims a victim, Australian players converge and the congratulatory ceremony leads you to assume he's performed a minor miracle and dismissed Sachin Tendulkar and Brian Lara with the same delivery."
I disagree, Chapelli is just a loser nowadays. He seems to think everyone is pathetic but himself. I ignore all comments by that guy... Watson is a good bowler and good batsman, what more do you want?

My point is that he shouldn't be dropped due to his batting because his bowling makes up for it. Since he goes after the bowling from ball one then if he succeeds he is worth his weight on both fronts. If he gets out fairly early then he has normally seen off at least a few overs of the new ball and allows the rest of the very strong Aussie batting lineup to come in with the ball doing slightly less.

Since you then get upwards of 3-6 overs, he is performing a good role for the side.

Oh yeah, Chappelli talks a lot of rubbish, but I'm with him on this one. And what do I want? An opening batsman opening the batting.

dtrain said:
Oh yeah, Chappelli talks a lot of rubbish, but I'm with him on this one. And what do I want? An opening batsman opening the batting.
:p tusahe there dtrain mate, But Watson is a decent batsman and if he doesnt score runs he will get some wickets, unlike katich who fails with bat ( normaly) or hogs the strike has no way to redeem himself

puddleduck said:
My point is that he shouldn't be dropped due to his batting because his bowling makes up for it. Since he goes after the bowling from ball one then if he succeeds he is worth his weight on both fronts. If he gets out fairly early then he has normally seen off at least a few overs of the new ball and allows the rest of the very strong Aussie batting lineup to come in with the ball doing slightly less.

Since you then get upwards of 3-6 overs, he is performing a good role for the side.

There is no way Watson will be getting dropped from the side. He has done enough to be picked purely as a bowler, averages 23 with the ball in his last 20 ODIs. At the moment he just hasn't quite put in the performance with the bat. Just needs to get a few scores together to prove he is capable of being picked purely as a batsmen too, which he deserves the chance to show.

Also that stat about his bowling just proves that Ian Chappell is an idiot. Everything that comes out of his mouth is a load of crap and usually with no basis. When it's his turn to commentate the cricket first thing I do is find the mute button.

You want an opening batsmen opening the batting? So that means Gilchrist should be dropped down the order? Langer should be dropped down the order in the Test side?

Windies win the toss and bat, this will be make or break for the Windies as this is their strength and if they don't get a decent total it should be an Aus win bar a collapse.

As predicted Hogg in for Johnson.

Wow, Lee is getting smashed. Has been a little unlucky with a few which were non-deliberate.

I think if Bracken is going to open, you should drop Lee to third rather than McGrath. Especially on this pitch. I think they got that a little wrong.

I think Bracken must be bowling because he swings away from the left handers.

Gayle seems to be quite inspirationsal. When he does well, the team does well. I'm rooying for the West Indies so I'm hoping he gets some runs on the board. But he needs support from the other end and it needs to come from either Lara, Sarwan or Chanderpaul. The other batsmen are inconsistent and you can't really put your money on them to score good runs.

irottev said:
Wow, Lee is getting smashed. Has been a little unlucky with a few which were non-deliberate.

I think if Bracken is going to open, you should drop Lee to third rather than McGrath. Especially on this pitch. I think they got that a little wrong.

I think Bracken must be bowling because he swings away from the left handers.

I agree, McGrath should open, Lee ain't proven to be much apart from fast meat for the Windies. McGrath has to open especially in a final, don't kow what Ponting is doing. Bracken himself isn't using the swing right either.

I will never know why Ponting didn't bring on McGrath. It's a slow pitch and he is in great form. He won't be being smashed.

Poor captaincy.

-> Poor batting by Chanderpaul. They were off to a plyer with a 10 run rate, and what does he do, attacks a straight ball and drags it on. There was no need for that shot and now it's just gifted the Aussies. That could be costly. Very costly.

OMG no ball 4, geez how much worst can it get. 49 runs off 5 overs, that is really going to put pressure on the rest especially with Hogg in the side.

Thank God for that, Chanderpaul out to a Bracken slower ball. Hes been the better of the two bowlers, Lee MUST be taken off next over however, don't know whats got into him lately with his opening spells but it ain't working for him right now.

Users who are viewing this thread