ICCCT2006: Group B

I would think the Sri Lankans are more used to these pitches, also keep in mind Sri Lanka have been consistently setting decent 1st innings totals, where it seems that it's more likely that the chasing team has better conditions for batting.

someone please make sure shivarama krishnan doesnt commentate during pakistans matches

he is the most annoying commentator and during presentation ceremoney hes so nervous that he sometimes rushes through his whole sentence

South Africa 30-3!!!

They are not having a good time at the Champions Trophy. I called it. I thought they would be the underperformers!

I was hoping they would knock Sri Lanka out of contention for top 2 of the group, but they are going to need to work REALLY hard to post a good total. Then the Dew might be a factor. So it will be interesting. Don't take that as saying they are out of it. It's cricket, you never know what is going to happen. For all we know there could be a 150 partnership here. Bad starts can be fixed!

Then again, if SA lose, it puts them out and SL as certain to make it. I mean, their NRR isn't going to get much worse surely. That means NZ and Pakistan will be batting off for a place. Should be interesting.

This pitch is much better than previous ones. Good to see!!!

irottev said:
South Africa 30-3!!!

They are not having a good time at the Champions Trophy. I called it. I thought they would be the underperformers!

I was hoping they would knock Sri Lanka out of contention for top 2 of the group, but they are going to need to work REALLY hard to post a good total. Then the Dew might be a factor. So it will be interesting. Don't take that as saying they are out of it. It's cricket, you never know what is going to happen. For all we know there could be a 150 partnership here. Bad starts can be fixed!

Then again, if SA lose, it puts them out and SL as certain to make it. I mean, their NRR isn't going to get much worse surely. That means NZ and Pakistan will be batting off for a place. Should be interesting.

This pitch is much better than previous ones. Good to see!!!

I wouldn't put the 150 partnership out of the equation. Kallis is easily their best batsman and one of the best batsman in his generation while de Villiers is a star of the future.

Poor batting up front,Gibbs has no form and Dippenaar wasted so many balls.We are a strong team when our top order fires,but it didn't.I think we need to put Bosman up front,even though he is hit and miss,he will atleast make use of the opening overs as he only plays one way,aggressively.Good last couple of overs though with Polly and Petersen getting the runs.We will have to knock over the Sri Lankan top order quickly and cheaply,they seem to lack batting strength lower down,thats our only hope.

Chasing 220 to win thanks to fine knocks for De Viliers and Kallis, and a late flurry from Pollock and Peterson, SRL are now 89/5 after 29.1 overs! Pollock got 2/20 off 10 straight overs, and Ntini and Nel each picked up a wicket with one brilliant run-out. This is going to be a good match, Dilshan and Mahroof batting. RSA strong favourites.

Mahroof gone! :eek: Edged Kallis to slips! Vaas in, SRL are gone! :eek:

What a win for RSA!! Brilliant stuff!

After watching our top order fall like drunken men on an embankment again, I really did doubt our chances of getting anything that resembled a result. Luckily AB and Kallis managed to get some runs on the board, even though peolpe are doubting him currently, I think the main problem for AB has been that he hasn't got a consistant spot, he always gets hurried in and out which probably plays a bit on his mind.

My biggest surprise was that we were taking wickets with relative ease, so it should make everyone a little more confident for the next few games knowing that the team is starting to pull together again and should be able to get some good performances going.

I also have to agree with Gibbsrules, something needs to be done to our top order. I think a good option for the next game would be to drop Gibbs, bring Bosman into the squad, and bump him upto number 2. while Dippenaar takes number 3 as more of a steadying role. Bosman is one of those guys that will almost always score more than 10 runs and he does it in a hurry which is what we need the most.

Gibbs has been immense in the field. I don't think they should drop him. Plus, on his day he's the best batsman South Africa have got. No one else in the team could have done the job he did against Australia earlier. Pollock bowled brilliantly. IMO, he's better than Vaas. Vaas rarely looked threatening, though he bowled a brilliant line and length. But Pollock still has the nip, and seams the ball very well.

Adarsh said:
Gibbs has been immense in the field. I don't think they should drop him. Plus, on his day he's the best batsman South Africa have got. No one else in the team could have done the job he did against Australia earlier.

I don't doubt how good he can be, but when he is out of form he is so ordinary. Another thing is that he always generally manages to pull out a good performance just before he gets dropped thereby securing a spot in the team for the next few games. But I think in the short term some changes have to be made.

These pitches just haven't suited Sri Lanka as Murali has bearly done anything this tournament. But today the blame lies with the SL batsmen, Tharanga hasn't done much since qualifying and same goes for Jayasuriya.

Wow, Oh my god! I can't believe that SA won it.

But that is absolutly fantastic because it means we have more chance at getting through and Sri Lanka will NOT be getting through. SWEET!!!!!

Seriously, that was a good batting pitch. No complaints can be made. The batsmen are just not turning up for this tournament.

No hundred yet, high 80 and a 90* the best.

Pollock Ntini and Nel must of bowled pretty damn well and the SL batters batted pretty damn poor.

Come on New Zealand. Beat the Pakistani's and we are though!!!

This is not an option which we should take, but if we lose tonight and SA beat Pakistan it'll be down to NRR. But come on lads, WIN WIN WIN.

aussie1st said:
These pitches just haven't suited Sri Lanka as Murali has bearly done anything this tournament. But today the blame lies with the SL batsmen, Tharanga hasn't done much since qualifying and same goes for Jayasuriya.

Did you miss the NZ match? It doesn't matter what pitch he is on, he will take wickets. SA just played him well is all. A heck of a lot better than we did.

Well if it was spinning the Murali affect would come even more into play. Add to that SL could have used their other slow men more but it's been more for the pacemen. Also in group B Murali only has 2 wickets minus the Kiwi game but I guess thats to be expected as we would probably be just happy to wait for him to bowl his 10 overs with minimal wickets.

Maxkarter said:
After watching our top order fall like drunken men on an embankment again, I really did doubt our chances of getting anything that resembled a result. Luckily AB and Kallis managed to get some runs on the board, even though peolpe are doubting him currently, I think the main problem for AB has been that he hasn't got a consistant spot, he always gets hurried in and out which probably plays a bit on his mind.

My biggest surprise was that we were taking wickets with relative ease, so it should make everyone a little more confident for the next few games knowing that the team is starting to pull together again and should be able to get some good performances going.

I also have to agree with Gibbsrules, something needs to be done to our top order. I think a good option for the next game would be to drop Gibbs, bring Bosman into the squad, and bump him upto number 2. while Dippenaar takes number 3 as more of a steadying role. Bosman is one of those guys that will almost always score more than 10 runs and he does it in a hurry which is what we need the most.

To be quite frank, majority of batsmans have found batting difficult so far in the tournament. I'd keep the lineup the same, and Gibbs is a class player so I expect him to come through well in the next match and if not in the semis if SA qualify.

Nice win by Sth Africa and once again emphasises my case that ODI cricket is very unpredictable nowadays. The gap between all the sides certainly have slimmed in the last year or 2.

Huge game tonight. Will mean a lot for who will make it and who won't. Must win for NZ to get through and Pakistan will want to win this so that against SA it won't be a must win.

If SA won, it would leave it down to a NRR.

-> Ouch, saw that comming. Stupid shot Vincent.

Good bowling so far by Pakistan although NZ are still going at a good rate and Fleming is still in.
Geez just saw an Inzi look alike, so close too.

Users who are viewing this thread