India tour of Bangladesh

Ok.

You say the series was 'only against Bangladesh' but it was a series nonetheless and against a test nation too. Gambhir and Chawla were good selections because they contributed to the team winning the series.

The point has been proven that India do not completely rely on Tendulkar or Ganguly since they can put in competant batting performances without them against a Bangladeshi bowling line up that proved against England, South Africa and India in the World Cup that they are not weak.

Does anyone else hate these BORING commentators who feel the need to comment on EVERY LITTLE THING that happens?

Yes, they really get on my nerves sometimes. Surely they can get better than Shiva and Athar Ali Khan.

I think Chawla is promising. He's probably ready to be broken into the international team with Kumble staring at the horizon and Harbhajan's form in pieces. I would be hopeful that he would be selected for our next few series, to be taken on tour, if not play in international games.

And to think... the guy's only 18!

India win by 46 runs

India have proved many points with the 2-0 series win.

Point proven, Bangladesh are not better than India.
Point proven, Tendulkar and Ganguly are helpful but not 100% relied on.
Point proven, Gambhir and Chawla were good selections.

Point 1: No one said they were better than India. Many said they could beat India more often than what they used to. India can still beat them black and blue without our main players like Sachin, Saurav, etc.

Point 2: True

Point 3: Chawla is a great selection. I feel its going to be god's gift to Chawla and Indian cricket that he gets this opportunity against Bangladesh and not against some stronger team. This success will tremendously boost his confidence, and will make him ready for tougher assignments. He is my favorite future talent. Has the talent to become India's best spinner in the future!

Regarding Gambhir, I would still wait to see him in the coming matches. His biggest problem is that he is a huge LBW candidate. Unless he rectifies that, he will continue to be inconsistent in his scoring.

Coming back to the 2nd match, India did much better than the first one. But I definitely feel that Zaheer and Munaf need to be dropped. Munaf hasnt been impressive at all with the ball and his fielding is pathetic. Similar with Zaheer. I want Irfan back, and some other good pacer (or one of my favorites, Balaji). Irfan can surely learn from the experience of all these seasons. I personally believe Irfan has been unfortunate to have been on the receiving end of Chappell's mindless experiments. He can surely make a strong comeback and can boost India's bowling hopes.

Also enough ENOUGH ENOUGH with Sehwag! Send him on a long long long hiatus. We have had enough of him. Next match, Uthappa should replace Sehwag. Dinesh Mongia is another "domestic only" player who plays well everywhere other than international cricket. For England, I would like to see Sachin in place of Sehwag for the ODI's and Rohit Sharma or some new guy in place of Dinesh Mongia. Gambhir has more or less occupied his slot.

Those points are not proven, the matches were against Bangladesh.

Bangladesh are still playing well because of the confidence from the World Cup. They are a really improved team. And its their home ground with home support. Dont take credit away from Gambhir, esp. Chawla.

I think Chawla is promising. He's probably ready to be broken into the international team with Kumble staring at the horizon and Harbhajan's form in pieces. I would be hopeful that he would be selected for our next few series, to be taken on tour, if not play in international games.

And to think... the guy's only 18!

Yes. He should be taken to tours like England where we are going to go next. He should now be groomed well so that he can take over from Kumble.

I think Bhajji will come back soon! I feel he was being asked to bowl restrictive lines. Normally, he is an attacking bowler.

Last edited:
saisrini80 said:
Also enough ENOUGH ENOUGH with Sehwag! Send him on a long long long hiatus. We have had enough of him. Next match, Uthappa should replace Sehwag. Dinesh Mongia is another "domestic only" player who plays well everywhere other than international cricket. For England, I would like to see Sachin in place of Sehwag for the ODI's and Rohit Sharma or some new guy in place of Dinesh Mongia. Gambhir has more or less occupied his slot
In the last two matches, Sehwag (with the help of Gambhir) got the team off to a quick start. When Sehwag goes, the team is going at a healthy rate.

1st ODI: 2-56 off 6.6 overs. RPO = 8
2nd ODI: 1-43 off 7.4 overs. RPO = 5.6

You can't simply waste the powerplays like England do. I think a simple Uthappa/Mongia switch in the team with Uthappa coming in at three to enforce the powerplay hitting is needed. Dravid, Yuvraj, Dhoni, Karthik and possibly Chawla are there in case the plan fails.
saisrini80 said:
I think Bhajji will come back soon! I feel he was being asked to bowl restrictive lines. Normally, he is an attacking bowler.
I don't. I think he has just lost his touch in an attempt to legalise his action.
saisrini80 said:
Coming back to the 2nd match, India did much better than the first one. But I definitely feel that Zaheer and Munaf need to be dropped. Munaf hasnt been impressive at all with the ball and his fielding is pathetic. Similar with Zaheer. I want Irfan back, and some other good pacer (or one of my favorites, Balaji). Irfan can surely learn from the experience of all these seasons. I personally believe Irfan has been unfortunate to have been on the receiving end of Chappell's mindless experiments. He can surely make a strong comeback and can boost India's bowling hopes.
Zaheer is the spearhead of the Indian attack. When all else fails, he usually has brilliant new ball figures and is of a reasonable pace too. Munaf needs to rediscover his pace and use his bounce and accuracy more effectively. His poor fielding comes with the same lack of fitness that restricts his pace. I want Irfan Pathan back in the team but he needs to also up the pace a lot. I think introducing Imran Khan (from what I've heard, a fast bowling and general mental guru) would be a good move since the people of Asia seem to worship him and take his advice very seriously.
saisrini80 said:
Yes. He should be taken to tours like England where we are going to go next. He should now be groomed well so that he can take over from Kumble.
They are different though. Kumble is brilliant on non spinning pitches due to his top spinner and quicker ball, can the same be said about Chawla, we don't know.

Last edited:
In the last two matches, Sehwag (with the help of Gambhir) got the team off to a quick start. When Sehwag goes, the team is going at a healthy rate.

1st ODI: 2-56 off 6.6 overs. RPO = 8
2nd ODI: 1-43 off 7.4 overs. RPO = 5.6

You can't simply waste the powerplays like England do. I think a simple Uthappa/Mongia switch in the team with Uthappa coming in at three to enforce the powerplay hitting is needed. Dravid, Yuvraj, Dhoni, Karthik and possibly Chawla are there in case the plan fails.

I don't. I think he has just lost his touch in an attempt to legalise his action.

Zaheer is the spearhead of the Indian attack. When all else fails, he usually has brilliant new ball figures and is of a reasonable pace too. Munaf needs to rediscover his pace and use his bounce and accuracy more effectively. His poor fielding comes with the same lack of fitness that restricts his pace. I want Irfan Pathan back in the team but he needs to also up the pace a lot. I think introducing Imran Khan (from what I've heard, a fast bowling and general mental guru) would be a good move since the people of Asia seem to worship him and take his advice very seriously.

They are different though. Kumble is brilliant on non spinning pitches due to his top spinner and quicker ball, can the same be said about Chawla, we don't know.

Pretty good arguments yaar! Just wanted to say that first before I go on!

Regarding Sehwag, what start are you talking about? Against Bangladesh, he ought to do more than these 30's and 21's. And added to that, his prolonged recent failures makes him a big candidate to be dropped from the team. We have Uthappa who is as much attacking as Sehwag, is even younger and also a much much better fielder. I think he should be given a run now instead of Sehwag.

Harbhajan hasnt lost his touch. He has been made to bowl restrictive lines. Prasanna has also just said in a column that Harbhajan has just got too interested in checking the flow of runs. He is absolutely right. Its only when he bowls the doosra does his action come under scrutiny (that too not as much as that 'one other' guy does!). Harbhajan can take wickets without his doosra.

Zaheer had done reasonably OK in recent times, but thats just not enough. He has been given a reasonably long run, and he ought to come up with those great spells more often than not now. May be I think you're right about Munaf. Something might be wrong with his fitness thats restricting his pace and also his fielding. But for that, he has to go back home and work out on his fitness, and see whats really wrong with him and then come back a fresher man! He is just pathetic now!

On Chawla, if Kumble who is not a great spinner of the ball can do well on non spinning pitches, I think Chawla can do even better. He is a genuine spinner of the cricket ball unlike Kumble who is a a fastish leg break bowler. I am sure Chawla will also have some variations for non spinning wickets, and now he is in the test squad and so he can learn some of the art from Kumble too!

Rohit Sharma is a fast-bowler right?

He is a middle order batsman.
I saw a few good innings of his at Abu Dhabi in an `A` teams tourney where he looked classy against Pakistan A.
He scored 75 against a Pak attack of U.Gul,Rao Ifthikar, Yasir Arafat etc .

Hmmm. Who's on the much touted Indian pace lineup for the future? I always thought someone with the last name Sharma was on there.

Rohit Sharma is a fast-bowler right?
He was opening the batting for Rajasthan in an OD game I was watching the highlights of yesterday, on Neo Sports. Looked pretty aggressive (hit 4 boundaries in the first over he faced) but that may just be because Karnataka's bowling was pathetic.

As for Zaheer being dropped, this is a bad move for two reasons: (1) We do not have ANYONE to replace him with and (2) he has looked good enough in his comeback to keep him around for longer. If we keep chopping and changing players based on form, we will end up with a strategy that Chappell employed--where are Raina and Pathan to be found now?

saisrini80 said:
Regarding Sehwag, what start are you talking about? Against Bangladesh, he ought to do more than these 30's and 21's. And added to that, his prolonged recent failures makes him a big candidate to be dropped from the team. We have Uthappa who is as much attacking as Sehwag, is even younger and also a much much better fielder. I think he should be given a run now instead of Sehwag.

Why can't both play instead of Dinesh Mongia?

Hmmm. Who's on the much touted Indian pace lineup for the future? I always thought someone with the last name Sharma was on there.

He is Ishanth Sharma.

Inspite of this series win, pace bowling is still not looking impressive except Sree. Its still looking same like what i saw in WCup. If this is going to be our full strength pace attack, we will struggle in England and Aus later this season. Today RPSingh has been included i gues.. Have to see whether he has made any improvements.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread