Pakistan Tour of Australia 2009/10

McKay will probably miss out, with Hopes to go to 8. Really a waste, picking Hopes when McKay is a much better bowler and I doubt we're going to need Hopes for his batting.

That sounds like a thing they would do too. The options are White, Hopes, Marsh, McKay and maybe Siddle to be 12th man.

I reckon White will definitely play....wait. Big Bash final on Saturday :O Please don't play White!

But seriously, White should play seeing as he was so good in England, South Africa and India. Marsh will probably stay at the top of the order after his Hyderabad heroics.

So yeah, either Siddle, Hopes or McKay. Siddle's a pretty good ODI bowler though.

Gazza_11 added 3 Minutes and 25 Seconds later...

Siddle's a pretty good ODI bowler though.
After checking stats, yeah he's decent. :laugh

That sounds like a thing they would do too. The options are White, Hopes, Marsh, McKay and maybe Siddle to be 12th man.

If it were me, I'd be resting one of the Test guys: probably Watson. But the selectors never do what I want :p

But I think you're right, odds are McKay will be 12th, Hopes at #8 and the attack will be Bollinger, Siddle, Hopes, Hauritz and Watson with White and Clarke needing to bowl if someone goes the journey. Wow that is not an attack that inspires confidence in me :( Hauritz looks our best bowler there or maybe Watson. Hopes and Siddle are VERY targettable and you never know which Dougie will turn up.

Hopefully Hussey bats at #6 to finish the innings and White is higher - at #4 or #5, since he seemed to do well with more responsibility and more time to bat in England. And I'd LOVE to see Haddin or even Johnson inserted randomly in the middle overs for powerplay usage. Particularly if the Pak spinners are clamping the run rate.

Siddle bowled a good spell against NZ in the Champions Trophy, it was McGrath like with his accuracy and control. But outside of that he goes for about 40 runs and doesn't take a wicket. Hopefully he starts clocking 150km/h as we are missing a paceman to do that unless Bollinger feels like doing that for 10 overs. Hence why Tait would have been handy with Lee and Johnson missing. Not to mention his reverse swing gives us another weapon around the 30 over mark.

I just think that if someone goes hard at Siddle he hasn't got much to answer with. In the All-Star game I went to at the beginning of the summer, he got tonked for 3 or 4 6s and it's just my impression that he's pretty easy to line up if the batsmen have the balls to go after him eg. Umar Akmal in the Test series. His yorkers seem OK at the death, but where is a good slower one? I think Siddle AND Hopes need to come on in good situations for them to do well ie. 3/50 after 15 overs for Hopes and Siddle needs some assistance with the new ball off the pitch.

But with Siddle, he can bowl anywhere really, even on flat decks. And don't forget, he's only 23. If we bring in Hilfy for Siddle, we would have 2 27 year olds and 2 28 year olds making up our attack.

Which is a recipe for disaster, having all of them retire at the same time.

I think when Siddle keeps pitching up he gets the results you want to see. The shorter ones will be struck away through the field consistently, but the batsmen have to work harder to drive him because he does hit the seam hard. That's also what will get you high value wickets, if not an abundance of them.

One thing to remember is that in India there were some very good batting pitches; Siddle never conceded more than 20% of the runs in an innings. In one dayers, he's more miser than pie thrower.

But with Siddle, he can bowl anywhere really, even on flat decks. And don't forget, he's only 23. If we bring in Hilfy for Siddle, we would have 2 27 year olds and 2 28 year olds making up our attack.

Which is a recipe for disaster, having all of them retire at the same time.

Yes he's got plenty of potential, and he is a good bowler - not saying that. But if I'm making a game plan for Pakistan it would read thus:
Target Siddle and Hopes
Milk Watson and Hauritz
Wait for Bollinger and Johnsons bad balls

If Siddle can prove that he's not as 'hittable' as I think he is, he'll be an excellent ODI bowler because he's got most of the other parts. Then again I thought McGrath was 'hittable', it's just that no one really bothered. The guys who came down the pitch at him to break up his length really prospered. Two guys who did it were Tendulkar (rarely) and Abdul Razzaq a couple of times.

I think when Siddle keeps pitching up he gets the results you want to see. The shorter ones will be struck away through the field consistently, but the batsmen have to work harder to drive him because he does hit the seam hard. That's also what will get you high value wickets, if not an abundance of them.

One thing to remember is that in India there were some very good batting pitches; Siddle never conceded more than 20% of the runs in an innings. In one dayers, he's more miser than pie thrower.
Problem is he seems to like the short balls too much. I like his aggression but he needs to find a bit of discipline to be successful in limited overs cricket.

Users who are viewing this thread