Patch General discussion

The biggest issue here for me is that this is first game I can remember not having different fields for test/first class and one day games. This makes it harder to determine what fields to use in any given situation. For me to fix you need to have separate fields for shorter and longer formats of game

In career mode, i face the same field when i come in against every opposition, every type of bowler, every format.

Spin is the revolution the bowler puts on the ball with his wrist or fingers. Turn is a product of spin when the ball interacts with the pitch.

Last edited:
Career match types are unaffected by changes to CA for balance reasons. The information is drawn from a separate source that is set in stone.

Shame that ground names altered in CA don't transfer to Career mode - loses some immersion as a result

Don't know if anyone has written about this previously, but just a small fix. When choosing a left arm ( finger spin) spinner in career, the skill attributes tend to leg spin, ie: slidder (should be arm ball). Also the doosra and off spin are the wrong way around, so as a left arm finger spinner if i bowl it with the RAS to the top left I get doosra skill points instead of off spin skill points.

I think people (including myself) call 'turn' spin, when in fact, the bowler spins the ball and it turns when it hits the pitch.

I think people (including myself) call 'turn' spin, when in fact, the bowler spins the ball and it turns when it hits the pitch.

Which is completely acceptable, much in the same way that people call the pitch "the wicket". As long as people understand what is being said there really is no issue there. Some people are a bit pedantic (and to be honest people who are pedantic are generally almost always wrong linguistically, which is quite frankly hilarious), but talking about the "spin" or "turn" to many people will mean the same thing, as spin is implying the attempt to turn the ball. That said, no reason is needed if people say it that way and are understood of course.

So what about the situation where someone says: "does he spin the ball much?" or "look at the spin" when they mean turn? How am I supposed to know whether they mean turn or revolutions?

DvgpzSZ.png

Notice how a difference in position over or around the wicket can change the direction of the ball, despite pitching in the same position, even with no change in turn.

this line angle length diagram reminds me of a great game of the bygone era.

So what about the situation where someone says: "does he spin the ball much?" or "look at the spin" when they mean turn? How am I supposed to know whether they mean turn or revolutions?

Context, like everything in language. If someone says, "he really spins the ball", they are hugely unlikely to have the ability to measure the revolutions he's given the ball, and are more likely to mean that the ball turns quite a lot off the pitch when it hits. If someone says it "spins off the pitch", again, it's quite obvious what is meant.

It's like the word "literally", which means, and has meant since well before the time of Charles Dickens both 'something which is literally true', and 'something which is entirely figurative'. Think the difference between:

1. After being told of the Odyssey, Jacob literally read the entire book in a night
2. Jacob says he is so hungry could literally eat a horse

The use of literally in the figurative sense is so long held in English that it is as much a meaning of the word as the literal meaning. Funny, but a part of how language works.

The use of literally in the figurative sense is so long held in English that it is as much a meaning of the word as the literal meaning. Funny, but a part of how language works.

Something being accepted doesn't make it correct, call me old-fashioned (you will have to after that phrase) but I would prefer to be correct and sound odd than be wrong and be welcome.

Much of the chagrin of us grammar-pedants sometimes being wrong causes reclassification of meaning. "Literally" is a perfect example as it was being used incorrectly so often the OED redefined what it meant.
Ultimately the point of language is to convey meaning but language also evolves and adapts so there isn't much point trying to hold back the tide sometimes. About the only thing you can do is use the originally correct definition yourself...

Something being accepted doesn't make it correct, call me old-fashioned (you will have to after that phrase) but I would prefer to be correct and sound odd than be wrong and be welcome.

You're not being "old-fashioned", you're just being linguistically wrong. To be correct linguistically is to realise that language evolves and changes, to ignore that is entirely wrong. That's not a matter of taste, you are simply wrong. Correct usage of a word is usage that will be understood by a native speaker, and clearly here it is the case that a cricket fan hearing a phrase like "he can really spin a ball" or "it spins off the surface" will be entirely conformable, meaning that whilst you don't have to use that kind of phrase, that it is by definition correct within cricketing circles.

So no, you'd have to word that as:

Call me old-fashioned (you will have to after that phrase) but I would prefer to keep to my own meanings, sound odd and be linguistically wrong than simply accept that which is commonly used and be welcome.

----------

Much of the chagrin of us grammar-pedants sometimes being wrong causes reclassification of meaning. "Literally" is a perfect example as it was being used incorrectly so often the OED redefined what it meant.
Ultimately the point of language is to convey meaning but language also evolves and adapts so there isn't much point trying to hold back the tide sometimes. About the only thing you can do is use the originally correct definition yourself...

The use of 'literally' in the figurative case predates Charles Dickinson. It is not new at all.

There are plenty of good meaning shifts though. Personally I really like 'nice', which originally meant something like 'stupid', that is, a 'nice person' was a stupid one. It has over timed shifted to its current meaning, but there are some remnants of the previous one (i.e. "That's nice dear").

Scotland and the Netherlands take part in the YB40 league

That was sooooooo last season. They're not involved this year in the newly re vamped 50 over competition.

Users who are viewing this thread