Patch General discussion

I noticed that the 'Run' hud that shows up when you take a run shows the correct batsman at the correct end after the patch.

I noticed another thing which might help many if you cancel a run just press triangle to dive , this way I saved many many runouts... :)

You shouldn't have to "dive" to get back into the crease when you've already returned diving comfortably into it in the first place... But yeah, the "dive" thing doesn't work when you cancel the run and the "wander back" sequence is initiated. You'd have to have lightening fingers to press O and then Triangle to dive back in... Mind boggles.

Again, it's a simple case of the fielders being still too aggressive. There's no need to fire it back all the time. Especially if you cancel the run quickly, there should be a way to program some form of sensible fielding AI in there somehow, the Patch 1 has fixed a few, but not many, of the fielding aggressiveness when it comes to mid on and off actively hating the fact I'm at the wicket and trying to push a single [/laughing emoticon but not really laughing much]

I love this game like desert loves the rain, but the fielding AI is beginning to show a lot of cracks the longer I spend at the wicket now I'm averaging a good 30+ most games in career mode.

I've come to the wicket greeted by four slips, a gully and a silly mid on and off... in over 17 of a T20 match. I mean, honestly. It shouldn't even be a field CHOICE for the AI to make in a T20 match. You need, what, 5 or 6 options in a T20 match fielding-wise, that's it. The prior example should not even be in there for it to select from.

The saving grace is it only lasts two balls, before it changes... [read: belted it over the fence for consecutive sixes] but it's the fielding AI and field sets that must be a priority for any patch moving forward. Drastically reducing the available field options for the AI to a few sensible attacking and defensive options in limited overs matches would be an easy fix for the field-set issues, and either the pace the fielders move in the outfield and/or the speed the ball comes off the bat when it's hit in the air should be the next priority.

Anything else is window dressing at this point in career mode, because it's the field-based AI stuff letting this amazing game down right now.

The above is exactly what needs to be fixed at the earliest and should be prioritized in patch 2. Online is important but more people play offline and weird field setting is a game breaker for sure.

I love this game like desert loves the rain, but the fielding AI is beginning to show a lot of cracks the longer I spend at the wicket now I'm averaging a good 30+ most games in career mode.

I've come to the wicket greeted by four slips, a gully and a silly mid on and off... in over 17 of a T20 match. I mean, honestly. It shouldn't even be a field CHOICE for the AI to make in a T20 match. You need, what, 5 or 6 options in a T20 match fielding-wise, that's it. The prior example should not even be in there for it to select from.

The saving grace is it only lasts two balls, before it changes... [read: belted it over the fence for consecutive sixes] but it's the fielding AI and field sets that must be a priority for any patch moving forward. Drastically reducing the available field options for the AI to a few sensible attacking and defensive options in limited overs matches would be an easy fix for the field-set issues, and either the pace the fielders move in the outfield and/or the speed the ball comes off the bat when it's hit in the air should be the next priority.

Anything else is window dressing at this point in career mode, because it's the field-based AI stuff letting this amazing game down right now.

Playing my first career Pro40(50?) - fielding second the opposition needed 18 to win with 4 wickets in hand off the last two overs. Was called on to bowl the penultimate over and conceded only 5 runs with a wicket to boot and was feeling chuffed with myself.

At the start of the final over, spinner bowling(!) I find myself stading the slips cordon as one of 3 slips (and a gully); there's a silly mid on and silly mid off, regulation cover and midwicket and NO ONE straighter than them... I was literally screaming at the screen for the captain to change the field...

Of course the AI goes on to belt 3 boundaries down the ground off the first 3 balls leaving them 1 to get in 3 deliveries before the field was changed...

Frustrating!!!

Issue BA has is this is first game I can remember that doesn't have separate fields for first class/tests and one day games
Separate fields for each format makes its easy to create realistic fields for both formats
Using same fields for all formats obviously is resulting in the above quote. For me BA have to either
  • hard code which fields can be used for which format from existing fields
  • create completely separate fields for both formats of game (unlikely)
  • Do nothing

But yeah, the "dive" thing doesn't work when you cancel the run and the "wander back" sequence is initiated.

ah yes this is one of my biggest issues - this stupid 'wander back' sequence (to coin your phrase - I termed it 'lazy batsman'...potato potahto) is a real pain. I've lost many a batsman (my own, or AI) purely because they wandered back to the crease and got stumped with their foot 1 inch above the ground. :facepalm

I've no doubt that BA will look at these issues and fix it. Same with the constant throwing at stumps (honestly, how often do you see this IRL?).

hard code which fields can be used for which format from existing fields
What they could do here would be to expand out the current 'Benefits' part of the fields - and add things like batsman skill level (low/med/high), match position (opening/powerplay/normal), match type (<20 overs/limited overs/unlimited overs), etc.

Anything can be 'patched' into the game.

I suggest that as it's an expansion over things that are already in the game - if you can designate fields as 'aggressive', it should be simple enough to add a designation that it is a 'opening batsman' field.

Obviously you would need to adjust the AI field selection to factor that in, but they'd be doing work on that with whatever solution they had to improving AI field choices.

As said by BigAnt "They AI will keep you on your toes" so we would really want to see that too in ODIs and Test Matches while T20 is a fast game. :spy

You'd have to have lightening fingers to press O and then Triangle to dive back in... Mind boggles.

I've never had a run out at the non strikers end by the bowler (having said that I don't hit the ball very had) but I premeditate the cancel directly after the shot, occasionally resulting in walking back into the crease before running a single.

Users who are viewing this thread