Patch General discussion

Issue BA has is this is first game I can remember that doesn't have separate fields for first class/tests and one day games

Which is I think one of the few, if only, tricks they've missed in this title. The fielding area, both the AI and the Field sets are the weakest part of the game and it's flowing into the gameplay of the other areas the longer you play in career mode. I think if they fix that, they solve many other issues by default. Save the cheerleader, save the world.

It's really as simple as limiting the AI to what field sets they can select from, especially in T20 and ODI formats, where there's very little room or need for, say, 4 slips and a silly mid on! Just remove them completely as an option in those formats, especially in career mode where you have no say in what crazy-ass fields your captain sets for your team when you're not bowling...

The aggressive fielding AI is obviously a bigger job to fix, because the default setting is obviously "return ball to X end" and I think that needs to change to fix the run-out and annoying "keeper/bowler-flicks-the-bails-off". They're just needlessly aggressive in the field. The AI needs to reset in a way that they're able to identify when we as players are taking a risky single (or being batshit insane and running a single that isn't there) and simply forgetting to hit "RETURN" every ball... or hitting run then immediately hitting return because there was a miracle-stop at square leg or whatever.

It's finding that balance of realistic and ridiculous and right now it's too far in the latter column and it's just not fun to have to literally avoid whole sections of the field because they're stopping it every ball, catching everything or will throw the stumps down on a whim, which granted is happening less after the patch but it shouldn't be happening at all.

The C&B's that are happening need to be turned off completely, or reduced to a "10%" statistic or whatever. I was C&B'd last night on 71 in a 4 day match where upon slow-mo replay the ball was caught INSIDE the pitch, with the hands of the bowler going through, or under, the pitch to catch the ball. I understand why that happens but it's systemic flaw in the aggressive fielding that shouldn't exist. Turn down the abilities of the bowlers to make these impossible catches and replays like that won't happen...

I don't know the stats on caught-and-bowled attempts but in a game, that you want to be FUN, it should really just be once in a blue moon and not every third one, as it feels like it is currently.

Honestly, it's just the fielding that needs work in a patch, I can't fault the batting or bowling at all really, there's a learning curve for SURE with the bat that's higher than bowling, but it's fielding that's making batting so much harder and bowling so much easier.

I wish I could put it as eloquently as Biggs, but the AI running also needs to get sorted. Just played a T20 where the opposition AI was runout 5 times in the first 3 overs. Obviously an extreme case, but yeh, not fun.

+1

It's still ok against the AI but when playing online with someone who is throwing down the stumps on every single delivery that you miss, it's unbearable as you know eventually one would be given out even though you pressed circle as soon as you missed the Delivery. It's a particular animation that makes this happen as the batsman gets inside his crease when you press circle only to leave it again due to an animation playing out.

The stumping piece has to be fixed. It's no longer fun to watch batsman miss a regular shot (non-advance or non-L2) and still end up being stumped with his foot on the line and that despite you mashing the 'O' button in frustration. I'm sorry the way things stand I wouldn't even try playing online coz of all the cheesers who would want to piggy back on stumpings & run-out bug, which is on top of all the other online issues.

The aggressive fielding AI is obviously a bigger job to fix, because the default setting is obviously "return ball to X end" and I think that needs to change to fix the run-out and annoying "keeper/bowler-flicks-the-bails-off". They're just needlessly aggressive in the field. The AI needs to reset in a way that they're able to identify when we as players are taking a risky single (or being batshit insane and running a single that isn't there) and simply forgetting to hit "RETURN" every ball... or hitting run then immediately hitting return because there was a miracle-stop at square leg or whatever.

The aggressive fielding is still fine as long as "Cancel run" (O button) and stumping issues are fixed. Batsman shouldn't really be walking as if out for a walk in a park when you cancel the button, nor should my batsman be out stumped if I miss a regular shot and despit pressing the 'O' button. Every innings you lose a couple of batsmen on average to these stumping/runout bugs.

I have a minor issue i want to comment on which is the scoreboard when it shows runs scored on every ball in the over; for a wide or no ball despite no runs being scored on the ball it shows 1WD or 1Nb when it should be 0WD or 0NB.

Also i know it may sound little stupid but i think the grounds are a little too small. I mean the area in between 30 yard circle and boundary just isnt big enough acc to me. coz 9/10 times if u clear the infield u will get caught by the guy on the boundary coming running in. theres nothing like no mans land as they say or maybe its just as a result of fielders still being too fast.

And once again to harp on the point that Ross the AI batting really needs to be better. Its way too easy to get them out and annoying to see them just throwing their wickets away.

Okay, if you were Ross @ Big Ant...and had only enough time and dev resources to fix 3 things for the next patch...what would you fix change?

Last edited:
I think that question would probably be easier to answer if you framed it around fixing and/or rebalancing, as opposed to just fixing.

Okay, if you were Ross @ Big Ant...and had only enough time and dev resources to fix 3 things for the next patch...what would you fix?

good question:

1. Bowling speeds - the way they reduce so quickly
2. Speed of the fielders catching the ball
3. Non striker not getting back in his crease when the bowler fields the ball next to him.

There my 3, I would also like the ability to change my teams lineup every game... but i dare say that would need more than just a patch.

Okay, if you were Ross @ Big Ant...and had only enough time and dev resources to fix 3 things for the next patch...what would you fix?

1. fielder speed
2. fatigue issues
3. I'd fix the inability to interview the 3rd umpire

okay, I started it off so here's mine:

1. AI field settings (per Biggs' post above - limit what the AI has available based on match type)
2. Stop constant throwing at the stumps
3. Slow the bowling speeds down to make batting a little bit easier

Its like the old 'what would you do with $1m' :P makes you have to really think hard and weigh things up

1. Field placements
2. Bowling speeds
3. Fielder mechanics (speed, diving ability, bowler fielding)

Three core gameplay mechanics.

1. Field Placements
2. Fielder AI/Mechanics
3. Fairer career mode batting tolerances

Most of these recent replies appear to be from batting point of view

From bowing point of view the AI batting is no 1 priority. If they cannot be toned down, get more edges and play less airborne shots the bowling aspect of career/general play will become a very shallow experience as most wickets are bowled (or at Legend level) only ever caught in the outfield

If AI batting is not addressed eventually bowling will be unrewarding and become like previous games and then back to batting only I go :noway

After that

Bowler fatigue (again if this isn't sorted bowling in longer formats of game are diluted to becoming almost unplayable due to lack of realism)

AI field settings

Fielders in general

AI batsman running decisions (too many suicidal runs taken, usually to mid on/off)

A bit more than the arbitary 3 issues asked for, but more than 3 things need addressing imo.

too many suicidal runs taken, usually to mid on/off

You've described the issue with the fielding when batting as well. Most of the stuff you've talked about is field-based, which is the major source of weakness in the game. Field sets and field attributes being too far in the unbeatable column. I wonder if the AI hits it in the air as much as it does because it too can't beat the fielders?

Users who are viewing this thread