Should Ponting stay captain?

Should ponting stay as captain?

• yes

Votes: 43 68.3%
  • no

Votes: 20 31.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Who else is there? CA has already said they support Ponting so if they support him and his results speak for itself then there is no reason to drop him.

What a rediculous thread. Of course Ponting should remain captain. He's second best to Steve Waugh. There are countless interviews of Australian players, or ex, saying he has superb leadership skills and there isnt anyone better for the job.

And if Indian supporters want him out then tough luck

Ponting has been a good captain on the field. Yes, he's arrogant, but so what? This issue is being overblown, and Peter Roebuck is full of it to say that to defend our national integrity, we must sack him. He cares about the team, and the country, and to defend our national integrity we should win, not worry about public scrutiny.

Well, according to what I saw on the news. There may be a chance he'll lose the captaincy anyway, but also the chance he'll be dropped. Australia will have a strong case towards that but India aren't giving up unless they get their form of "Justice".

Well, according to what I saw on the news. There may be a chance he'll lose the captaincy anyway, but also the chance he'll be dropped. Australia will have a strong case towards that but India aren't giving up unless they get their form of "Justice".

Get dropped for this? Removing the captaincy is enough punishment if need be.
Still can't see CA doing it.

How Ponting is being dragged into this mess is beyond me. It comes down to a couple of claimed catches - both I beleive we catches. Get over it. Then the supposed celebrations - does anyone remember that pathetic 20/20 tournament? My god, if anyone has to answer anything it is Kumble - his terrible time wasting tactics and his hypocritical accusations after the game were the only acts by a captain outside the so called spirit of the game, which last I saw weren't actual rules. Oh, and there's that racist they have in their side as well....quit passing the blame and look at yourselves in the mirror.

Warne for captain!
warney.jpg

Why the hell not? 16 on the trot, one hell of a batsman and fieldsman.

Hussey throws support behind Ponting

TEST batsman Mike Hussey has thrown his support behind his captain Ricky Ponting and says the Australian team plays hard but fair.
Hussey, speaking from the SCG where an Indian production company is making a Bollywood movie, said calls for Ponting to be sacked as captain were ill-conceived.

?I don't agree with that. All I can say is that Ricky Ponting has got the full support of our team and probably every cricketer in Australia. From my personal point of view I think he's the best captain I've ever played under,? Hussey said.

?We go out there to play the game as hard as we can, but also as fairly as we can, and Ricky is very big on that.

?He's got the 100 per cent support of all the guys.?

Hussey said the team had not become arrogant and wasn't governed by a win at all costs attitude.

?We're not going to play at 80 per cent or 85 per cent, we're going to go as hard as we possibly can in every match, and that's the way we always play.

?We never stepped outside the rules or the laws of the game. As I said we play hard, we play fair, but we'll never step outside the laws of the game.?

He defended Ponting's decision to make a complaint about Harbhajan Singh allegedly calling Andrew Symonds a monkey.

?I think Ricky followed the ICC protocol. I think Ricky has done nothing wrong in the whole situation,? Hussey said.

He said he hoped Ponting and India captain Anil Kumble could work out their differences and the series could continue.

Hussey said he had been shocked by the flare up of tempers between the teams.

Hussey said some members of the team would have been upset by newspaper commentary today that said Ponting should be sacked, labelled the team arrogant, bad sports, and compared it to a pack of wild dogs.

Source: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23023333-5001505,00.html

Well I edited, it out to show the important facts, full article can be read in the source. There is controversy around him and what he has done to the team, but I think it's unfair how they are approaching this. Like Hussey said, they play hard and fair.

Ponting should focus on his batting...

He has no idea of how to lead a champion side. There's more to being champions than merely winning on the cricket field. I have nothing against Australia winning fair and square. In fact, they deserve to win if they play well.

Steve Waugh won genuine admiration in India because of his conduct off the field. And nobody grudged Steve Waugh his victories. He fought tough and hard on the field.

But Ponting's behaviour has drawn widespread criticism not just in India. Even former greats like Wasim Akram have condemned his behaviour:

Read here: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23019825-2722,00.html

That is, if you want to be real ambassadors of the game and not just winners.

Last edited:
His captaincy isn't a problem, but a lot of people find his attitude offensive. The West Indians of the late 70's/early 80's were cocky and they had a right to be. They were in a similar position to what the Australian's are now. But amongst the swagger of Richards and the bravado of Marshall, you didn't ever have the sense of there being any arrogance. This arrogance, perceived or real, is putting a lot of people off the Australian cricket team.

And by the way, I'd like to throw Brett Lee's name into the captaincy hat. :) Every time CA writes out his cheque they get value for money. I don't think I've seen him not try his guts out, no matter the circumstance.

His captaincy isn't a problem, but a lot of people find his attitude offensive. The West Indians of the late 70's/early 80's were cocky and they had a right to be. They were in a similar position to what the Australian's are now. But amongst the swagger of Richards and the bravado of Marshall, you didn't ever have the sense of there being any arrogance. This arrogance, perceived or real, is putting a lot of people off the Australian cricket team.

And by the way, I'd like to throw Brett Lee's name into the captaincy hat. :) Every time CA writes out his cheque they get value for money. I don't think I've seen him not try his guts out, no matter the circumstance.
What arrogance? Our team is confident, slightly arrogant but with every damn right to be.

Users who are viewing this thread