South Africa in Australia Dec 2008-Jan 2009

It was a clinical performance from the Aussies as they achieved the target in style towards the end. White and Hussey both survived chances on the way as SA's fielding let them down at crucial moments. Hussey would certainly be pleased with his knock today after a horrendous run during the Test series.

didnt Bracken become a spinner?

He was going to to try play tests due to Australia's poor spin bowling stocks. He may have been joking.

I like watching him bowl in ODIs. He's very accurate and has all the tricks. 2nd on the rankings. (It lists him as first by a point, not sure how recent that is)

Last edited:
Warner was never going to back-up. People have worked him out a bit already. Bowl him more balls outside off stump and bowl some on the offstump and make him play across the line. He hits 90% through midwicket/mid on. Pretty one dimensional at the moment to be brutally honest.

I've seen him in the FRC and Big Bash he could certainly hit the balls outside offstump. It's just cause SA were bowling at his stumps that most of his shots when legside. Yes he loves the pull shot but so does Ponting and he certainly is dam good outside offstump. Plus you are talking about a guy with a double sided bat, if he had any weakness he would have figured a shot to play to it.

Well he didn't play many offside shots the other night and never attempted one last night. He hits across the line to balls outside off-stump. From what i've seen he doesn't like playing them and is no where near as effective. We'll see in ODIs more of him, I just think people should settle down and think a bit before expecting too much from the poor guy.

Gilly trying to smash the bowlers from ball 1 worked out allrite for us in the last few years.

Mr.Cricket added 2 Minutes and 37 Seconds later...

My team for the One Dayers (if Clarke , Symonds and Johnson not available)

Marsh
Warner
Ponting
Hussey
Hussey
White
Haddin
Hopes
Bracken
Hilfenhaus
Tait

Wonder if they will pick Warner or go with Hopes/Haddin as opener. But they have put Hopes at 8 before so could happen. Just wonder what they will do when Johnson comes back.

aussie1st added 13 Minutes and 10 Seconds later...

Well he didn't play many offside shots the other night and never attempted one last night. He hits across the line to balls outside off-stump. From what i've seen he doesn't like playing them and is no where near as effective. We'll see in ODIs more of him, I just think people should settle down and think a bit before expecting too much from the poor guy.

He played a cut shot to Kallis for 4 in the first game. Here is some of his shots outside off stump in the FRC match I speak of.

11.2 Hilfenhaus to Warner, FOUR, width outside off, smashed over backward point, races away

11.3 Hilfenhaus to Warner, FOUR, just overpitches a yorker, smashed straight back at the bowler, almost takes Hilfenhaus' head with it! Incredible shot off what wasn't a bad ball

14.4 Divin to Warner, FOUR, steps across and smashes it through point, brilliant timing

14.6 Divin to Warner, FOUR, fullish outside off, shouts of catch it as he drives uppishly through cover, incredible!

Cricinfo - Commentary - Tasmania v New South Wales at Hobart, Dec 7, 2008

And his even better inns
Over 0.4: Geeves to Warner, FOUR, pitched up & lofted over the bowlers head - one bounce & onto the cycling track!

Over 4.1: Geeves to Warner, SIX, pitched up & driven hard over long-off - MAXIMUM!

Over 12.1: Divin to Hughes, FOUR, pitched up outside off-stump & square driven through backward point

Over 29.4: Geeves to Warner, FOUR, full-toss outside off-stump, driven away to the deep-point fence, 200 up for NSW from 178 balls

Just click view all in the 2nd link to see his full inns. http://ls.cricket.com.au/HomeFullScorecard63_2359_15.html

And TBH it's the media that has put too much expectation on him. From foxsports "AUSTRALIA'S new batting superman, David Warner, had his cape ripped off".

Lol ......... fifa 09 soundtracks going on background :p

True. Was a bit shocked to hear The Veronicas.

Untouched by The Veronicas
Kids/Time To Pretend by MGMT

---

Glad to see Hussey back in form last night. Those who said he is to slow for Twenty20 cricket would eat their words now. Super shot over wide mid on (?) to hit a massive six.

Two good games of cricket but in different ways. Warner's 89 was exciting in Melbourne but Hussey's and White's partnership at the end was gripping. Two good games to watch.

Wow, so he's played 8 shots through the offside in domestic cricket. :O Props to him. He plays cricket, of course he can play through the offside a bit. I'm just saying he prefers to go through midwicket and plays balls across the line. He can't afford to do that in ODIs as much. We'll see how he goes. He'll have to be able to cover drive in ODIs.

Those were just some of the boundaries he hit in the offside in that match. Also from the man himself
"I was just lucky enough to get all the balls down leg, the ones I hit for six and four. But if they're going to plan to bowl outside off I don't actually mind it there, I prefer it outside off more than anything,'' he said after arriving in Brisbane this afternoon."

Bad news for Proteas: Warner loves The Gabba - National News - National - Sport - The Canberra Times

Maybe hes just trying to scare SA, but having seen him play 7 inns I'm not surprised.

Of course he'd say that. Regardless of whether he actually does prefer it out there or not. I may seem like I don't like him, I do like him, he played a great innings. But he's no superstar yet.

Wow, so he's played 8 shots through the offside in domestic cricket. :O Props to him. He plays cricket, of course he can play through the offside a bit. I'm just saying he prefers to go through midwicket and plays balls across the line. He can't afford to do that in ODIs as much. We'll see how he goes. He'll have to be able to cover drive in ODIs.

Oh yeah because Syl would totally go through every innings and ball he's every faced you show you every offside shot :rolleyes: That was just from one game.

When he goes outside off, he definitely favours point, so while Gilchrist comparisons are self-evident, he's got quite a bit of a Jayasuriya in him.

The interesting thing with Jayasuriya though, is that he was selected years before he should have been. It took Jayasuriya 89 matches to average 20 with the bat. It wasn't until the 90s were over that his sustained form pushed his average over 30, after 227 matches.

I dont expect Warner to ever have a high avg if he becomes a regular Aus 1day player.
He will be up an down like a yo yo sometimes his aggresive aproach will pay off an get us off to a awesome start an sometimes it will fail.
But geez im gonna love watching him play.

An ofcourse he likes the ball just outside off as long as its not full coz it gives him room to free his arms an slog it over midwicket :P

I felt we bowled pretty well yesterday. Only parnell really let us down but that's bound to happen at times with a 19 year old. The disappointing aspect is the batting. Needs lots of work.

Users who are viewing this thread