South Africa in Australia Dec 2008-Jan 2009

I dont expect Warner to ever have a high avg if he becomes a regular Aus 1day player.
He will be up an down like a yo yo sometimes his aggresive aproach will pay off an get us off to a awesome start an sometimes it will fail.
But geez im gonna love watching him play.

An ofcourse he likes the ball just outside off as long as its not full coz it gives him room to free his arms an slog it over midwicket :P

Agree, for me if hes getting a quickfire 30-40 in between his 50+ knocks then hes doing his job. The quickfire start can be so valuable and I don't think we have fully seen the impact of losing Gilly as ODI opener.

Clarke fit to play, I still would have rested him if hes was so in doubt to play. No point risking further injury and it would have given Warner a go.

I am really looking foward to this One Day series. I haven't watched Australia play ODI cricket since almost last summer - (India tour only had Tests, Windies games were on at a bad time and the Bangladeshi games weren't that hyped up or exciting). I expect Australia to win today but I wouldn't be suprised to see it be a close game.

Also, I just saw and ad on TV for the cricket saying "And this time Australia is in every game". Which I took a shot at the tri-series. That was a good format but it was probably 1-2 games per team to long.

I really like to see Hopes or Haddin open with Marsh

Warner should enter at number 5 or 6 and hit sixes at final overs.

If we play White or even Dave Hussey we have enough power hitting in the final overs. It will definitely be one of Hopes or Haddin opening, probably Hopes. And Warner is much better with the field up as hes more likely to get some mishits that fall safe whereas in the final few overs those would probably be caught.

Interesting we have moved Mike Hussey to the top, some have been calling for that for a while now but I did like having him at the end.

Interesting we have moved Mike Hussey to the top, some have been calling for that for a while now but I did like having him at the end.

Like they've been saying on the commentary. Marsh is out to smack the ball around like Warner in the 20/20. Hussey is their to get some confidence, and if he can stay out their, it'll do him some good.

We have White, Haddin and Dave Hussey that can stay until the end and smack the ball around.

Edit, Hussey didn't stay out their long. Caught out by Boucher from Steyn

Last edited:
I've never seen Marsh as a big hitter, and I certainly ain't seeing anything from him atm. We are now seeing the impact of no Gilly and Hayden, our slowest start in ages.

I've never seen Marsh as a big hitter, and I certainly ain't seeing anything from him atm. We are now seeing the impact of no Gilly and Hayden, our slowest start in ages.

except with Ponting coming out now. He is starting to feel comfortable out in the middle now. 24 from 21 balls

how many of you here think that Clarke should be made the ODI captain. I'm not suggesting or questioning Ponting as captain but just to prepare Clarke for the future.

Also cant believe that South Africa cant find a better captain that Botha. Thats the only thing keeping him in the team, his record is way below average.
What do you guys think about Duminy maybe being the ODI captain in Smith absence.

how many of you here think that Clarke should be made the ODI captain. I'm not suggesting or questioning Ponting as captain but just to prepare Clarke for the future.

Not likely as if Ponting losing any captaincy he might just retire as that is his drive. Only way it could happen is if Ponting steps down as captain but again not likely.

And Marsh gets a life, would have been run out if that hit but Marsh was slack with no sliding of the bat.

aussie1st added 11 Minutes and 45 Seconds later...

Why didn't Warner play?

He was only in the squad as cover for Clarke who is fit.
They might have a rethink though since this was only for the 1st 2 ODIs and after our start of a batting wicket I would be getting him in probably replacing White.

boy Ponting and Marsh have been lucky today. And South Africas fielding has been below their usual standards.

Users who are viewing this thread