South Africa in Australia Dec 2008-Jan 2009

Not too sure if the powerplay was all powerful, as Australia scored 40 in their last 4 overs. The buffer after 40 overs in the chase was only 68; powerplay or not, with wickets in hand one would usually expect it to be easily achieved.

If South Africa had really snatched defeat after the start they had, it would hardly serve to highlight the strength of the Australian team, but rather the fragility of South Africa without a couple of key names.

Indeed, with neither side at full strength, it makes for interesting cricket. I imagine de Villiers will eventually return, but will Australia make change enough to keep the scales balanced? Mike Hussey seems like he was wasted today. His game through the middle overs and death is far better than any value he might provide against the new ball. One can expect other candidates for opener to appear. The bowling too, needs to be less dependent on part-time spin. White didn't even bowl any. If Hopes were to open again, it might pave the way for another bowler at number 8.

South Africa have played an outstanding cricket today.. The way, Steyn was bowling.. though there were dropped sitters..run outs missed.. and the way, Aussies came back with 270+ ( I thought they will reach 240-250 ).. Then the way Duminy,Kallis,McKenzie took it in matured way and the way Albie Morkel finishing the things off.. Everything was delightful to watch in the angle of cricket fan. :)

I enjoyed the match more than India's match to be honest. Somehow I got the feeling when SA lost quick wickets in the end that, this Morkel would be the star to finish the things off and he did it. Well done South Africa... One can never deny the fact that South Africa have played smarter cricket(though without Smith,Villiers, Ntini) than Aussies and they(SA) deserve this win. :hpraise

Absolutely at a loss to see Albie coming so low down the order.

Chuck out that Jaarsveld guy and get in ABD if fit for next game and SA will be even stronger than what it now. Jaarsveld messed up two catches, a run out, and then screwed up with the bat. Can't expect ABD doing even quarter that damage.

I agree and so do many SA supporters. He has a first-class average of over 40 (with a great double-hundred) for heaven's sake. But like Klusener, who probably wasn't as good of an upper-order batsman, they seem to keep giving him little opportunities.

Can't agree on dropping van Jaarsveld though. That kid is awesome, as I've said before, he's very much like a left-handed Kevin Pietersen. It's just a matter of time before he shows that to the world.

Well thats what happens when you do a number of things wrong.
1. Drop Matthew Hayden- utter stupidity.
2. Wear that stupid outfit
3. Say your dropping hayden to bring in new blood, then open with Hussey, who should be at number 6
4. Have Michael Clarke in the team
5. Have two nothing allrounders and Hopes and White.

We really suffered without Hayden.
Hussey opening was stupid. And these annoying allrounders who cant really do anything. especially White. Drop White, he didnt even bowl, he's not good enough as a pure batsmen, so drop him and bring in a pure batsmen, and drop Hopes and bring in a pure Bowler.

Michael Clarke has just further backed up my theroy that he is too slow for ODIs. People say you need someone to bat slow to rebuild an innings, but we our innings didnt need rebuilding today. Not only does he only boring score singles, he was scoring way to many dots too, then watses all that time getting out.
Here are his stats over the past year and a bit. He's slow, not really had a heap of good scores, and not scoring enough boundries. His pace would be ok if he got runs, but he wastes golden moments in the game without getting runs.

clarke.jpg

I had a look at most of our other batsmen and they all score much quicker then Clarke. When they fail they bat slowly but when they get past 20 they go. Clarke goes at their struggling rate when he gets a big score. and dont use the he rebuilds innings thing coz even Hussey and Ponting go regularly at 80-90 SR. So i say its time to get Clarke out.

BTW great innings by the West Aussie Marsh, he should stay opener. Then either get Haydos back, or bring in Warner or Hughes and put Hussey to where he bats his best. and get rid of the nothing allrounders.

Also great knock from one of my Chennai Superkings. Morkel, CSK FTW

I agree and so do many SA supporters. He has a first-class average of over 40 (with a great double-hundred) for heaven's sake. But like Klusener, who probably wasn't as good of an upper-order batsman, they seem to keep giving him little opportunities.

Can't agree on dropping van Jaarsveld though. That kid is awesome, as I've said before, he's very much like a left-handed Kevin Pietersen. It's just a matter of time before he shows that to the world.
I don't know much about Jaarsveld. But whatever I saw of him today I was disappointed. Looked a bunch of nerves. Hopefully it's just a false start.

How bad is our 1day uniform its a disgrace.

Now call me stupid but Australias team colours are either Green an Gold (majority gold)
if there not going to use that it should be our flag
Majority blue small union jack an some stars if we want we can skip the union jack
It can be made to look very good

But it should never be this dark Dark green and dull yellow
South Africas uniform looked more australian to me

That is why we lost its all the uniforms fault.

Haha nah well done sth africa great win
Just like the test series this game was up an down at 1 stage aus looked like winners then sth africa cruising for win.
Then Australia again but yet again sth Africa turned it on at the crucial stage to grab the win.
Was a good game

But im kinda sick of just playing Sth Africa all the time bring back the tri series

South Africa seemed to be cruising with Duminy and McKenzie at the crease but Duminy's wicket triggered a collapse and the visitors looked they were choking once more. But Albie Morkel had other plans. The batting powerplay was taken after the 44th over and those five overs yielded 49 runs. A superb victory and with it SA have maintained their unbeaten record at the MCG, beating Australia on all 6 occassions.

Clarke isn't too slow to play ODI's. He's your middle order nudger/stroke maker that if wickets go down early can bat through and get you vital hundred. If not he's the the middle order nudger that can score a 50 at a run-ball in singles to keep your momentum up while someone continues at the other end. He's a vital kind of player who ODI's.

Everyone goes through peaks and bumps, I think considering how he's matured into one of your best batsman in the test arena over the past year he can be cut a bit of slack to achieve that in the ODI's as well. Your real problem lies in not deciding to go with 6 batsman 4 bowlers and relying on Hussey/Clarke or picking 5 batsman and 5 bowlers, but by carrying on to pick mickey mouse all rounders that don't really do either well.

I've got a couple questions for Aussie fans.
Is Phil Jaques fine and is he going to play the ODI series?
How long are Watson, Lee, Johnson, and Siddle out for?
Is Symonds out for good or something? What's his story?

Ponting ended up stuffing up the bowling orders, to ask Hilfy to bowl that many at the death is pushing it.

Total was never enough though, always was a par target which came about from promoting Hussey and possibly not picking Warner. With Hayden and Gilly gone we needed an x-factor at the top, that's where Warner would have come in. Maybe he would have failed tonight but maybe he could have got 100 off 50 balls and won the match right there.

On Clarke what slow about him, his overall strike rate is 79, Ponting is 80 should we also drop Ponting because he scores too slow? One bad game and people are calling for his head...

aussie1st added 4 Minutes and 7 Seconds later...

I've got a couple questions for Aussie fans.
Is Phil Jaques fine and is he going to play the ODI series?
How long are Watson, Lee, Johnson, and Siddle out for?
Is Symonds out for good or something? What's his story?

Jaques is only returning from injury so no chance for this ODI series. Watson and Lee are out for a few months. Siddle 2 weeks while Johnson will be back in the 3rd ODI.

We need to change our kit first :mad: eversince that came we are yet to win a CBS.

Clarke fit to play, I still would have rested him if hes was so in doubt to play. No point risking further injury and it would have given Warner a go.

DAVID Warner will make his one-day international debut on Sunday against South Africa in Hobart after being called into the squad to replace the rested Michael Clarke.

Vice-captain Clarke encountered pain in his injured thumb during Friday's loss to South Africa and will rest in for two weeks in an attempt to play in the one-day against New Zealand.

Australia give Warner ODI nod - Cricket - Fox Sports

Tsk tsk tsk, if I can see it why on earth can't our selectors. Why risk Clarke who is in pain needing injections, this ODI series isn't that important to risk Clarke missing our biggest two test series in the coming months. Plus when Warner is in this type of form off the back of a great knock at the MCG why risk Clarke.

Users who are viewing this thread