South Africa in Australia Dec 2008-Jan 2009

He was only bowling around 140-145. I was expecting him to push up to 155 and didn't see any swing/seam or reverse swing. He bowled well early but after that he was all over the shop.Bowling first on a WACA pitch , I think he couldve done lot better.

But the pitch is a belter and its only day 1 of the series. I am sure he will improve....I hope he does.

Steyn generally operates around the 140-145 mark..with a few peaks of 150+ when he's really going. He's not deadly accurate either so it's a bit much to expect a golden performance from him in those conditions.

Par score looks about 420+ on that pitch. There wasn't even as much bounce
as expected.

It was evenly balanced day,both teams fighting to get on top..Katich,Clarke,Symmonds,Haddin played really well in pressure,Symmo played like Sehwag (they both play very freely,even if wickets fall on other end,they dont mind playing their shots.)

True entertainment as the opening day had it all to keep everyone glued with some rivetting cricket. It was South Africa to race away with first points today as they dismissed three Australian pillars quickly but after that, Clarke and Katich stitched a solid partnership to lead the recovery. Symonds and Haddin contributed with valuable scores and the tail wasn't too far behind either. The Proteas had their moments too, they would have thought of springing back into contention when they dismissed the set pair of Katich and Clarke. But it was not to be as the Australians moved away. Runs, wickets, everything was on display

Steyn generally operates around the 140-145 mark..with a few peaks of 150+ when he's really going. He's not deadly accurate either so it's a bit much to expect a golden performance from him in those conditions.

Par score looks about 420+ on that pitch. There wasn't even as much bounce
as expected.
Did anyone go out with a tape measure and check? I can't tell if it's as bouncy as it was 20 years ago, but it seems pretty bouncy. We might see a bit more come out of it either tomorrow or Friday.

Dale Steyn's 2nd wicket, the one of Brett Lee certainly got some decent bounce off what was a pretty full length. I'd say there's decent bounce out there.

True entertainment as the opening day had it all to keep everyone glued with some rivetting cricket. It was South Africa to race away with first points today as they dismissed three Australian pillars quickly but after that, Clarke and Katich stitched a solid partnership to lead the recovery. Symonds and Haddin contributed with valuable scores and the tail wasn't too far behind either. The Proteas had their moments too, they would have thought of springing back into contention when they dismissed the set pair of Katich and Clarke. But it was not to be as the Australians moved away. Runs, wickets, everything was on display

The game is poised exactly how last year`s Boxing Day test was at the end of Day 1.Australia were 332/9 in that game.

Well...it seems evenly balanced for now...it will be intersting how SA bat...though Aus have got to some respectable score and not a very good score,lets see how they bowl on this track...

Yeah, let's just drop Ricky Ponting aswell. I mean his only scored 1 more 100 then Hayden this year in Test Cricket so his obviously past his best.
The difference being, of course, that Ponting has scored 2 more 50's and averages nearly 7 runs more and also that the opener's position is crucial in a Test match.

sohum added 3 Minutes and 32 Seconds later...

I would actually say Australia have done pretty well here, given the start they got. I think Lee is going to trouble the South African batsmen a lot.

Still far and away South Africa's day yesterday. On a flattening batting pitch it's just gonna get easier and easier to score runs so 500ish would have been par. Expecting Smith and McKenzie to go big today it's just gonna be a feast off a joke bowling attack. Hopefully Mitchell Johnson will be brutally exposed today.

Aussies have a very strong bowling attack but they are missing Clark and Siddle is a little bit new so Siddle and Krejza might be the guys SA target. I agree it was SA's day, but Aussies fought back well and are relatively even. I don't think SA will post 500, but maybe they'll make a 50-100odd run lead if they bat well.

Looking forward to this days play. It has been a very even contest on day one. Can't wait to see the Aussies bowl. Hopefully it will stay close and clean for the rest of the test and series.

C'mon Aussies!:D:happy:happy

This last wicket has added 16 runs so far (score 357/9) Aus if they can add more 20-25 then that will be bonus...Krejza is batting very well...he is batting with a strike rate around 80-85..very handy for Aus at this moment...

Last edited:
Even Siddle batted well, 23 from 34 balls, three 4s. Too bad he edged it, I wanted Krejza to make a 50. :P Krejza batted especially well, wouldn't be surprised if he went above Johnson in the batting order. Can't see Siddle going above Johnson yet, as he did play and miss and edge a couple.

Nice little partnership there. Steyn was very ordinary today. 375 is about par on this pitch but its more than enough if we bowl well. Need to get Smith early.

Mr.Cricket added 2 Minutes and 0 Seconds later...

Even Siddle batted well, 23 from 34 balls, three 4s. Too bad he edged it, I wanted Krejza to make a 50. :P Krejza batted especially well, wouldn't be surprised if he went above Johnson in the batting order. Can't see Siddle going above Johnson yet, as he did play and miss and edge a couple.

Krejza batted ahead of Mitch Johnson in this match.........and Johnson is good enough to bat at #3 for England. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread