South Africa in Australia Dec 2008-Jan 2009

We still going to smash Newzeland in next series though

Wow, now you are getting desperate :p

Must say I am enjoying seeing Austrlian cricket. "We never relied on McGrath and Warne." Oh aye? :p Not getting the wickets and not getting the runs. Almost like Australia want to try and lose the Ashes this summer on purpose ;)

Yeah its interesting to see the Oz commentators still hounding on about what a great captain Ponting is....I think his great ability and captaincy record is only really as good as it was due to the players he had to his disposal. Im pretty sure had Warne and McGrath played for Bangladesh, their captain would have had a pretty nifty record as well. Just goes to show ey...perhaps now that Australia's team are more on par with the rest of the world we're only NOW seeing the cricketing ability of Ponting as a captain.

And dont forget, Shane Warne was probably the greatest cricketing mind of his generation so that very likely also contributed to "Ponting's" captaincy...

Last edited:
Surely Hodge has to get the nod in the ODI side soon?

Not likely given hes 34 and failed badly in India. I just don't think he is made for this level. Dussey could be falling into that boat as well.

Anyway still got the NZ ODI series before we can think about our future ODI side as guys like Mike and Dave Hussey, Warner, Johnson, Tait, Hilfy will have their fates decided by how they play there. If Aus lose to NZ then I expect a serious revamp.

Not likely given hes 34 and failed badly in India. I just don't think he is made for this level. Dussey could be falling into that boat as well.

Anyway still got the NZ ODI series before we can think about our future ODI side as guys like Mike and Dave Hussey, Warner, Johnson, Tait, Hilfy will have their fates decided by how they play there. If Aus lose to NZ then I expect a serious revamp.

Well I dont think it should be that drastic really. Australia have a couple of classy players to come back into the side, Bracken, Clark and Symonds (and I think theres one more but cant think of who) and I doubt that they will go down to NZ to be honest. Man for Man its no contest but Oz are just going through a bit of a slump I think. We (SA) were slaughtered against England of all teams just a few months ago and people could easily have demanded BIG changes but I think sometimes when things dont go your way, bringing in big changes will do more bad than good.

Warner might have been a bit of a impulsive decision but most of the other guys look pretty solid. I like Marsh, first time Ive seen him play and he looks pretty damn talented. Same goes for Hilfenhouse - he should be terrific in English conditions during the Ashes. Hopes looks decent as well, played well in the last game.

I think the problem is that Australia aren't used to losing. A couple of years ago they beat teams left right and centre and never NEEDED to make many changes, but now that those big names are gone theyre faffing a bit because everything isnt back to the way it used to be immediately. I think the NZ series will be a good chance for them to give the doubtfull guys a good go - NZ is a pretty weak side and shouldnt trouble the Aussies. But its a good way to give the new guys more stability and perhaps a swap-around in the batting order is all that's needed. Like I said Clark and Symonds will be back pretty soon so thats half the middle order back and that's been their problem during the SA series.

Well it's not really big changes. Only Mike Hussey would be a big one but I'm positive if we lose to NZ in the ODI series and Mike continues his current form then he will be shipped off just like Mark and Steven Waugh.

Dussey will probably make way for Symonds or Clarke unless he starts giving the selectors a reason to keep him around. Warner will go for Watson hence I would rather keep him in then get a temp opener to see if he can make the spot his own.

Bowling wise Tait probably will be given a few more series whether we win or not. Johnson probably the same but everytime I see him in an ODI he is being carted around the ground. He can bowl good balls but the problem is when it doesn't get a wicket he is letting the pressure go the next ball. Hilfy is far from established so he certainly doesn't want to keep going at 6 an over.

I remain convinced of Hilfenhaus' talent, but feel that he needs to take the swing off the ball with the cross seam. I also feel that he loses a lot of 'bite' through his natural outswing release position and if it is something he can control, he may be able to stem runs better. Batsmen seem to be predicting the swing whereas the aforementioned can help combat this.

I would like to see Brad Hodge back into the ODI side at some stage during the New Zealand visit. He is a wonderful batsmen

Players deserve to play for their country no matter what age, as long as they perform. When they persist with players like Hussey, it's just getting them nowhere. Would much rather a performer like Hodge despite his age. Has been pretty dominant in the Twenty20s as well.

I am just waiting to see which players are getting axed after thi series. We need Roy back.

I doubt that they will go down to NZ to be honest. Man for Man its no contest but Oz are just going through a bit of a slump I think.

NZ is a pretty weak side and shouldnt trouble the Aussies.

Fair enough. But Man for Man we're a stronger side then the current one Australia has out there. With Symonds, Clarke and Bracken back Australia would be closer.

The opening partnerships are similar. I like McCullum and Ryder more due to more experience. Warner's hit and miss but Marsh looks pretty good. Middle order wise, Ponting and Hussey is about it for Australia and we have Ross Taylor who's one of the best ODI batters around at the moment if you ask me. We're got a few new guys like Guptill who' started well. Fulton's scored 4 ODI half centuries in a row against Australia which is quite a staggering statistic. Hardly pushovers like you make us out to be.

And bowling-wise it's no contest. We have Kyle Mills and Daniel Vettori both in the top 5 ODI bowlers in the world. Sadly we're missing Oram. Otherwise i'd say we're the better side. But as it is, it's pretty even if you ask me. Without Bracken the Aussie's bowling is pathetic. It's all pace, no control and no balance.

Calling the NZ side weak is unfair considering you haven't seen half the players in it before. It's an inexperienced team. So is Australias. Also considering we've been underdogs before and won 2 of the last CH series and in 1 game we won by 10 wickets it's no sure thing. We always play our best cricket int he Chappell Hadlee series.

Australia have been losing and we've been winning. Their confidence will be down.

Last edited:
Well Clarke is back, he wont help us much, but we'll see. I think we should keep the side as is, but swap Warner for Hayden/Katich, and Dussey for Hodge. Then we will do fine.

Hodge isn't going to add too much that either the Hussey are right now.
Also Hayden isn't coming back hes retired no point in calling him, Katich is an anchor player so unless we want to drop Marsh or put him in the middle order he is not the answer. All irrelevant anyway, our side has been named for the next 2 games in Perth and with it Clarke in for White. Would prefer Bracken in for Johnson but will be for Hilfy.

Good to see Clarke back

Haddin
Marsh
Ponting
Clarke
Dussey
Hussey
Hopes

or

Katich
Marsh
Haddin
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Hopes

I really would like to see Haddin up the top order. He is a run scorer and he hits the ball hard. I think he would be good at 1 or 3 where he can take advantage of the powerplay overs then bring Ponting in at 4.

Would be awesome if Haddin were to open in this dire time, would let us play both an out of form Clarke and David Hussey.

Haddin
Warner
Ponting
Dussey
Clarke
Mussey
Hopes/Hodge

Users who are viewing this thread