South Africa in Australia Dec 2008-Jan 2009

Was looking good for us till that Johnson spell. Great bowling but I really have to question ab and kallis. Its well know Johnson doesn't have an inswinger so why play at those deliveries??

Very disappointed. Aus will win easily now.

A bowlin all rounder batting at 9! Wow! I am really excited to see what the ashes will bring. I think the aussies have the better batting tail

Easily the best tail in world cricket and probably the history of cricket. Siddle showed he can bat and probably the best number 11 going around. And when you have Johnson coming in at 10 you know you got a good tail as hes got loads of potential with the bat. Krejza should be ahead of Lee, hes got a much more solid technique and looks like a batsmen.

I agree with easily the best tail, maybe not the best bowling unit though and at times the top order is looking a bit frail.

Agree, Johnson isn't one that most people will look to and say he can win you a match although a few more spells like today and he could earn himself that reputation. Lee is on the down, hes lacking that extreme swing and his pace is dropping. Siddle is a tight bowler that will work for his wickets ala Kumble rather than rip teams apart.

Devastating spell, the only real time he's looked like he would take a wicket every single ball. Every other time he doesn't perform as well. Wouldn't be in the team if he were right-handed I bet!

Hmm... from what I've seen of Johnson, I feel this was just one of those lucky spells. Ashish Nehra springs to mind. Remember his 6-fer in the 2003 World Cup where the English batsmen had no idea how to face him? Or more recently, Ajit Agarkar in our last-to-last tour of Australia, who pulled out a 6-fer to get India the victory.

I don't feel like international batsmen should be too fussed.

Fantastic spell, shouldn't be underplayed by anyone. It was absolutely awe inspiring.

A lot of people may seem to have this opinion of him that he's a lucky bowler, but it doesn't really matter whether he's fantastic bowler or a lucky one, if he continues to pick up wickets no-one can fault him.

What an engrossing and absorbing day of Test cricket it has been. It looked like the South Africans had the edge when Smith and Amla were cruising along and later as de Villiers and Kallis looked threatening, but an inspired bowling change from Ponting did the trick. Johnson ripped through the South African middle order as the last 5 wickets fell for the addition of just 7 runs. It will be an uphill battle for the Proteas when play resumes on day 3.

The batting by SA was shocking. Johnson is a good bowler but not the type I would guess to rip apart SA like that. They will need to bowl out of their socks if they want to stay in the game, Get Australia out for less than 250.

Im seriously getting tired, BEYOND tired of our utter ineptness. Every single time we tour there we hear the "oh no, THIS time we'll show them THIS time we're seriously good" and talk all our players up and get all arrogant just to balls it up when a little pressure is applied. Seriously - how the hell do you lose 5/2? Why do we always get nervous breakdowns for NO reason.

And we all know whats gonna happen now...what happens every single time we crumble - this mental collapse is gonna linger throughout the series and we're gonna hand it to the Aussies as always and continue to be the clowns of international cricket.

I wont be surprised if Johnson end up with 9 wickets....hes good but come on! Not even a dismal team like New Zealand handed their wickets on a plate with icecream on top of it the way we did.

The 2 main problems are (a) we cant drive home the advantage. When Oz was 15/3 our team was probably so shocked and surprised they didnt know what to do having gained the momentum so early in the game. And then today we were in control at 234/3 only to screw that up again....(b) We STILL dont know how to clean up the tail. Australia were at 160/5 (odd) but we allowed the lower order and tail to add over 200 runs! So much for our "amazing" bowling attack and thats why i cant stand our arrogance, because we never back it up and end up looking like fools.

And the most annoying part is that this Australian side isnt even all that good....certainly not a patch on the sides who clobbered us around for the past 15+ years. Yet we still find ways to look much worse than them...

Last edited:
Easily the best tail in world cricket and probably the history of cricket. Siddle showed he can bat and probably the best number 11 going around.

I didn't think Siddle was any good when I saw him bat in Mohali but that was probably just nerves. He actually looked like a good player. The shot he played through the leg-side which Ntini mis-fielded that went for four was excellent for any batsmen let alone a number 11.

Brilliant spell by Johnson yesterday. Shame I missed it live because I would not of believed what I would of seen. I've seen the replay so many times, but I still can't believe it. Australia could have a 100 run lead tommorow which I would never of expected at 3/234. Unless Boucher can bat really well with Steyn and Ntini, Australia should have a huge lead.

Oh and I don't think Ntini will be dancing away listening to his iPod now :D

Aus will be aiming to get those 2 quick wickets in first 30-40mins,the top 3 Aus who failed very badly in 1st inngs would be hoping this time to get to a better start....

I didn't think Siddle was any good when I saw him bat in Mohali but that was probably just nerves. He actually looked like a good player. The shot he played through the leg-side which Ntini mis-fielded that went for four was excellent for any batsmen let alone a number 11.

Don't remember him batting in Mohali but I know others were saying he could bat. His only weakness is the ball outside off stump that lead to his wicket. If he fixes that up he'll be a very handy batter.

Users who are viewing this thread