South Africa in Australia Dec 2008-Jan 2009

Will Johnson pick 9 wickets here?he has a good chance here,he needs to pick Steyn and Ntini...

There is 1, he now has the best chance to pick up the best figures by an Australian. Very nice bouncer it has been his most threatening delivery and Steyn had no hope.

South Africa are all out by 281 runs, which means Australia has a lead of 94 runs. Great bowling by Johnson by taking his 8-61.

That last wicket partnership was frustrating. Boucher probably could have got 50 if he took all the singles on offer and connected with at least half of his attempted flicks over the slips.

Some valuable runs this morning for South Africa. Ntini didn't look to bad at the crease. It was a shame that Johnson missed out on 9fa but at least Siddle took the last wicket.

Left_Hander added 0 Minutes and 44 Seconds later...

That last wicket partnership was frustrating. Boucher probably could have got 50 if he took all the singles on offer and connected with at least half of his attempted flicks over the slips.

Which is what Chapell or Healy said.

A good lead for Australia.

Highest Run Chase at this ground is 342/8. So if Australia gets around 300 runs lead, I would say Australia will probably be sure they can't lose the match.

Haddin basically cost Johnson his 9 fer and it would have been Boucher as well. Not to be but Siddle should have been brought on early as Lee was too short or wide which let Boucher take a single of the last ball whenever he wanted. Siddle at the stumps approach made it harder for him and in the end led to his downfall.

That looked plumb live, at first I knew it hit the pad then for a second I though it was bowled. Hawkeye says it was clipping the top of off. Hayden didn't off a shot so clipping the top of off should have been enough, even if it was going just over the umpire should have given him.

Lee had a better chance of catching that, Lee just bailed out when he had a better view of where the ball was, though Haddin should have at least shouted "YOUR'S" or something.

Haddin obviously called it the whole way, as it looked like it was his for 3/4 of the time it was in the air.

Haddin was going for it so Lee was right to pull out as usually the keepers gloves are best. Haddin should have pulled out in hindsight but he realised too late.

Hayden definitely lucky there since he didn't offer a shot. He now has to make the most of it, commentators just mentioned this was the ground Vettori dropped him when he was on the verge of being dropped from the ODI side.

Yeah interesting point the commentators brang up.

He's looking so iffy though. 2 inswingers by Steyn have been bat pad, a little inside edge of Ntini just before too as well. Katich is looking good though.

Feelin Blue? added 5 Minutes and 56 Seconds later...

Hayden edges one just short of 3rd slip, then gets hit by another Steyn inswinger. You have to think it's only a matter of time before he's going to go LBW.

As I speak another big LBW shout, might have swung down leg.

Better bowling today, Steyn has found a better length and the swing is there; Ntini seems to have his pace up. Hayden looks to be struggling, but he's not playing like an idiot. Katich isn't looking perfect either, but he's giving Hayden a bit of a Langer role, taking the early risks and absorbing a lot of the attack.

angryangy added 5 Minutes and 30 Seconds later...

Oooh. Given c&b for one he didn't even hit.

Argh damn, it was going to happen sooner or later. I was in the middle of writing a post saying how he needs to keep battling.

He was no where near the ball! That sucks! He was battling away, he didn't want to give up then he gets a shocker of a decision like that! :noway

Absolutely poor umpiring decision, I saw straight away that was only pad, Aleem Dar may have just ended Matthew Hayden's test career.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread