South Africa in Australia Dec 2008-Jan 2009

Will SA beat 3-0? Aus certainly is in pressure ,playing at home...

They'll beat us.

They are the best team in the world even if the current ranking system says different.

Too strong and too balanced, plus Dale Steyn will dominate our fragile batsmen.

So I guess we'll be seeing Van Jaarsveld now? I look forward to it.

I bet that some people are happy, that Smith is missing out of the ODI series. Hopefully he can participate in the third Test, which could be a Test match to be remembered for South Africa.

Certainly hope Smith plays, I really do adore his style of Cricket - besides his defensive approach at times. And if Australia don't win with Smith in the side, it just won't be as satisfying. Good to hear Hayden may or will go on. He would probably really want some runs before the ODIs and that mental advantage in SA.

ZexyZahid; said:
I bet that some people are happy, that Smith is missing out of the ODI series. Hopefully he can participate in the third Test, which could be a Test match to be remembered for South Africa.

Yes I tend to agree, some persons must be please to hear of his absence for the ODIs. Like you I do hope he plays the 3rd and final test, it would be a fitting end to a super series and a great start to 2009.
As for the ODIs themselves, last year his absence in England did not help SA at all, however I will venture to say that they are an improved team since then, so I wish them well.

Its interesting that Prince is not part of the ODI team, one would have thought that with Smith being out they would have put him in. Also this guy Johan Botha the captain, the few games I have seen him played, there is not much to him, his ODI debut was back in 2005, but finds it difficult to be part of the ODI team full time, am wondering if they are grooming him for captaincy in the future, with Smith elbow problem, who knows how much longer he can stay playing the game (for the sake of the game I hope 10 more plus years) but you just never know with these injuries.

Unless Hayden scores a double-ton in the Sydney Test then I'll be jumping on the 'Hayden needs to be dropped' bandwagon. From Tests atleast anyway, I want to see him finish his career after the ODI series.

Yes I tend to agree, some persons must be please to hear of his absence for the ODIs. Like you I do hope he plays the 3rd and final test, it would be a fitting end to a super series and a great start to 2009.
As for the ODIs themselves, last year his absence in England did not help SA at all, however I will venture to say that they are an improved team since then, so I wish them well.

Its interesting that Prince is not part of the ODI team, one would have thought that with Smith being out they would have put him in. Also this guy Johan Botha the captain, the few games I have seen him played, there is not much to him, his ODI debut was back in 2005, but finds it difficult to be part of the ODI team full time, am wondering if they are grooming him for captaincy in the future, with Smith elbow problem, who knows how much longer he can stay playing the game (for the sake of the game I hope 10 more plus years) but you just never know with these injuries.

Botha has been a regular in the odi side for the last 18 months since he cameback from having his action examined. He is our best odi spinner and probably close to our best odi bowler fullstop.

Prince can't play in the odi's since he scores to slowly and you can't accommodate two slow scores in the modern odi game. That spot is taken by Kallis who with his bowling is the obvious choice.

Smith's absence gives gibbs one last chance to get his career back on track.

I am looking forward to see how van jaarsveld,parnel and tsotsobe does. The SA oneday isn't as good as the test team and we need to start building for the wc.

SA can certainly have a chance of beating Aus in 3rd test (a total whitewash),lets see..

McKenzie will stay after the Test series as a standby batsman, like it's written in the article.

Elbow injury keeps Smith out of one-day series
Cricinfo - Elbow injury keeps Smith out of one-day series

And it would be best for Australian media to focus on upcoming match instead of talking Hayden into retirement. Hayden has no intention to it.

Hayden quiet on retirement talk
Cricinfo - Hayden quiet on retirement talk
That's real breaking news :rolleyes:

I don't understand how the media can possibly call that journalism when they republish the same article every time someone brings up Hayden's retirement, as if we haven't heard the Hayden isn't thinking about/talking about retirement story yet.

I have a gut feeling that Hayden is going to pull the pin after this upcoming test.

I think he should retire but i think hes the type that never wants to retire.
He loves the game an doesnt wanna do anything else an from what ive seen doesnt have much planned for after retirement.
So if the selectors let him an he feels he can still contribute he will want to play till hes 40

MacDonald is in as expected and I guess also expected Bollinger is in as well. Hilfy is the 12th man. Can't wait to see Bollinger in action in the big time and to finally see a swing bowler in Aussie colours.

he problem with that is he isnt contributing.

Matty Hayden is my favorite a player, a player whom I modeled my batting around.

But its time to go. I'd rather he retired than get axed.

MacDonald is in as expected and I guess also expected Bollinger is in as well. Hilfy is the 12th man. Can't wait to see Bollinger in action in the big time and to finally see a swing bowler in Aussie colours.

I thought we will drop Siddle and Hilfy will be in :(

Users who are viewing this thread