South Africa in Australia Dec 2008-Jan 2009

I think 'Feelin blue' your giving to much ability to Brad Haddin. I thought he'd make a good opener as well until those brain dead shots he made when he batted at 6. If they were terrific balls i would give him the benefit of the doubt but to try and slog a spinner early in your innings in such a situation where they needed him to knuckle down reflects very poorly. That ball chucking incident in India, dropped catches and mediocre keeping pretty much shows he's inept at this level. I would love to be proved wrong. I like Haddin but to be honest he's not going to make it in any other top 9 test nations barring England perhaps (Prior is no mug), West Indies and Pakistan (though Akmal did have a golden period). He needs to stay at 7.

Formula1man, I've given you a great line-up which can score 280+ consistently if everything goes to plan but if it doesn't go to plan that line-up can still score 240-250. The key to scoring 300 isn't having every batting place filled up by players that can score at a strike rate of 110.

i didnt say we needed a batting line up to score at 110. I said Katich and Jacques need to be in our team but the selectors wont pick them because they are branded as slow, but they would probably be faster then Clarke.

formula1man added 2 Minutes and 27 Seconds later...

I think 'Feelin blue' your giving to much ability to Brad Haddin. I thought he'd make a good opener as well until those brain dead shots he made when he batted at 6. If they were terrific balls i would give him the benefit of the doubt but to try and slog a spinner early in your innings in such a situation where they needed him to knuckle down reflects very poorly. That ball chucking incident in India, dropped catches and mediocre keeping pretty much shows he's inept at this level. I would love to be proved wrong. I like Haddin but to be honest he's not going to make it in any other top 9 test nations barring England perhaps (Prior is no mug), West Indies and Pakistan (though Akmal did have a golden period). He needs to stay at 7.

What are you talking about? I think Haddin is the best keeper we have, and would be close to best in the world. McCullum probably the best, but i think Haddin is more consistant personally.

i didnt say we needed a batting line up to score at 110. I said Katich and Jacques need to be in our team but the selectors wont pick them because they are branded as slow, but they would probably be faster then Marsh.

Fixed

Spot on Karnog

Haddin is a good batter, he gets out on bad balls because he is batting out of position. I can't see that happening with him opening.

Haddin will always offer chances as that is the way he bats. Certainly shouldn't have played the shot, probably had one of his brain explosions but he usually doesn't start doing that until he starts hitting a few 4s. I just don't think hes suited to the lower order as he isn't a big hitter rather a boundary hitter which is a lot harder in the final few overs with the field spread.

But even if you wanted to replace him there is no keeper standing up. Ronchi is even more inconsistent with the bat, Paine the other option isn't the quickest scorer.

Yeah, but then I am afraid Haddin is slowly settling into a comfort zone here, maybe because of lack of competition, maybe because the present state of Aussie batting is so dire that Haddin is virtually undropable. For the SA tour, it will be very good move to bring in Ronchi as the 2nd keeper and give a subtle message to Haddin that he is not Gilchrist, and hence irreplaceable. Maybe that will help him consolidate his game in the ODIs as he did to some extent in test matches.

Yeah, but then I am afraid Haddin is slowly settling into a comfort zone here, maybe because of lack of competition, maybe because the present state of Aussie batting is so dire that Haddin is virtually undropable. For the SA tour, it will be very good move to bring in Ronchi as the 2nd keeper and give a subtle message to Haddin that he is not Beyonce, and hence irreplaceable. Maybe that will help him consolidate his game in the ODIs as he did to some extent in test matches.

Fixed. ;)

10CHARS

Ponting needs to stop captaining like he has for the last 5 or so years and thinking no matter what they score the bowlers can defend it.

He doesnt have warne an mcgrath anymore so that tactic cant be used.

He needs to look at the pitch and decide when it will be best for batting.
Our team isnt as strong bowling as it used to be but i believe our batsmen are capable and are maybe suited more for chasing.

SA seem to love chasing so make them bat first make them have to set a target for once

My ideal side
Jaques or Katich (anchor type role but can also score quickly)
Warner will fail every few games but can also set us up for big scores.
Ponting
Marsh
Clarke or DHussey
MHussey
Haddin i dont rate him as a big hitter hes more a chipper over the infield

As for bowlers Tait an Johnson to rotate both never in the same game.
Bracken
Hilfy
and any spinner other than hauritz

Our bowling depth will look alot stronger once Lee comes back if he can regain form
Clark an also be used sometimes
Then Watson an Hopes can also be added

Selectors need to settle on a batting lineup like suggested above an give them time to gain confidence to play there natural game without the pressure of 1 failure an there dropped.
With quality openers like jaques an katich if warner has a failure it wont mater as much.
Only problem i see with that lineup is it could do with 1 more big hitting player with ability to score a quick 50 of 30.
so Dhussey/clarke would have to be dropped.

I hate the casual cricket fans
They complain when aus are winning all the time coz its boring no competition.
Then we lose a few an oh geez aus are hopeless.

They complain when we win then complain again when we lose yet fail to see how close the games were an we could of won most of them.
Not talkin about anyone here more few friends an even the media.

I do remember people posting they were sick of Australia winning, I pointed out that it will only last for so long and you should enjoy it.

I've mentioned it before we just never have had the big hitter in the lower order. Symonds is one but usually hes not around for the final few overs. With Haddin in the number 7 spot that certainly doesn't help.

Tait and White have been dropped for the match.

Australia: Ricky Ponting (capt), Shaun Marsh, David Warner, Michael Clarke, Michael Hussey, David Hussey, Brad Haddin, James Hopes, Mitchell Johnson, Nathan Bracken, Ben Hilfenhaus

Tait and White dropped for Clarke and White - Cricket - Sport - smh.com.au

Definitely best for Tait to get him rested, White was always going to be dropped since he wasn't bowling.

Tait and White have been dropped for the match.

Australia: Ricky Ponting (capt), Shaun Marsh, David Warner, Michael Clarke, Michael Hussey, David Hussey, Brad Haddin, James Hopes, Mitchell Johnson, Nathan Bracken, Ben Hilfenhaus

Tait and White dropped for Clarke and White - Cricket - Sport - smh.com.au

Definitely best for Tait to get him rested, White was always going to be dropped since he wasn't bowling.

Lol .............. how many White we have :p Hilfenhaus should be dropped not Taity :(

Users who are viewing this thread