South Africa in England

He is not an awful test bowler. Hes just settling into the team, as I've said elsewhere give him time he'll come good.

He is not an awful test bowler, he needs time currently he appears short of the standard. But the potential is there.

Potential means little if it is not translating into performance and he has bowled poorly throughout his Test career. Perhaps awful was a bit strong, poor should suffice.

You base your opinion on stats way too often, Manee.

Broad hasn't been taking wickets but he hasn't bowled that poorly.

You base your opinion on stats way too often, Manee.

Broad hasn't been taking wickets but he hasn't bowled that poorly.

My opinion has come entirely from watching him bowl, hence realising that 'awful' (which is what stats would suggest) should be replaced by poor.

manee added 1 Minutes and 47 Seconds later...

Depends who's more reliant on swing. Arguably, Anderson and pace and cutters while Sidebottom is more accurate. Either way, I want Jones in the team.

The new ball does swing in India, the issue is that the old ball doesn't (not saying that you don't know that, just clarifying). How do you think Praveen Kumar takes so many wickets in the Ranji Trophy, with his blistering pace and bounce?:p

Of course the question will be if we play two spinners or Simon Jones, who adds reverse swing to the table.

Good performance by England today though. I doubted Harmison but he looked somewhere near his peak form. Although Strauss is still struggling outside off stump, which he needs to work on but credit again to the SA bowlers.

Last edited:
That was hilarious watching the highlights on 5. They had Harmison interviewed at the end and brought Boycott in. Boycott somehow managed to suggest that it was thanks to him that Harmison had got back in the team and was playing well and Harmison was standing there with this thunderous look on his face!

barmyarmy added 1 Minutes and 52 Seconds later...

I doubted Harmison but he looked somewhere near his peak form.

That's all very well but will he be able to get over his usual problems and play like that in India?

Good question. He will need to get some bowling so I would suggest playing cricket for a domestic team somewhere. If manee is right about the fact the ball swings enough to cause problems in India then you would go with Anderson and Sidebottom and Freddie to be the hit the deck bowler. The question is do you chose another seamer (Simon Jones really since he reverse swings the ball) or the second spinner since England need to adapt to the dry conditions later after the ball does stop swinging.

Good question. He will need to get some bowling so I would suggest playing cricket for a domestic team somewhere. If manee is right about the fact the ball swings enough to cause problems in India then you would go with Anderson and Sidebottom and Freddie to be the hit the deck bowler. The question is do you chose another seamer (Simon Jones really since he reverse swings the ball) or the second spinner since England need to adapt to the dry conditions later after the ball does stop swinging.

The new ball swings for about 15 overs, less if it has been pounded about. If the conditions are right for swing, with extreme humidity, cloud cover or both, the ball may swing similar to English conditions, but it is rare. Would absolutely love to see him turn out for a Ranji Trophy Super League team in India, btw, but the chances of it happening couldn't really be lower.

That was hilarious watching the highlights on 5. They had Harmison interviewed at the end and brought Boycott in. Boycott somehow managed to suggest that it was thanks to him that Harmison had got back in the team and was playing well and Harmison was standing there with this thunderous look on his face!

Yeah, Boycott was on a roll today. He claimed on TMS that he was "saying last year that KP should be captain, but nobody listened to [him]" and they got him going on about taxes for about 10 minutes ("Why do they have a death tax? I think it's disgusting" etc...)!

I love TMS. :D

It's very rare that they actually talk about cricket on it these days. The best moment so far this year was in New Zealand when Boycs was talking about his favourite bands. Apparantly he's got plenty of time for Girls Aloud. I wonder why...

Blimey, surprised we didnt end up with them at T20 finals day then, instead of Davie Double Decks and Little Ted (or whoever they were!)

I love TMS. :D

It's very rare that they actually talk about cricket on it these days. The best moment so far this year was in New Zealand when Boycs was talking about his favourite bands. Apparantly he's got plenty of time for Girls Aloud. I wonder why...

And Shilpa Shetty ("I love her. She's known in this country as an actor, but she's actually a better singer and she's really good. Obviously you can't beat a good ol' Yorkshire brass band, but she's getting there...") :D

The new ball swings for about 15 overs, less if it has been pounded about. If the conditions are right for swing, with extreme humidity, cloud cover or both, the ball may swing similar to English conditions, but it is rare. Would absolutely love to see him turn out for a Ranji Trophy Super League team in India, btw, but the chances of it happening couldn't really be lower.

More chance of getting to the sun climbing up a step ladder?

That's all very well but will he be able to get over his usual problems and play like that in India?

bbcsport said:
And of the perennial question of his winter tour preparations, with only one warm-up match before the first Test in India, he said: "I'd love to think there's a future beyond this Test match but I'll have to work out where we go from here."

I think that says everything about his state of mind. If he plays in Ahmedabad on 11th December, I'll be amazed.

Oh, I think he'll play with KP as captain - I just wonder how well he'll play...
On the Broad debate, I like him and think he has a lot of potential as a number 8 not least because of his bowling but he did bowl crap today. Short and wide or over-pitched. His two wickets were a very poor shot and a very poor batsman.

Personally i think Harmison will bring the goods to India as well. He seems far more motivated, hungry and most importantly match fit. Once this test is over they should rush him back to county so he "remains fit". Also, i'd pick Anderson over Sidebottom considering bum doesn't get along with monty. Team spirit should never be lacking.

Users who are viewing this thread