Sri Lanka in England/Netherlands

I feel so sorry for Simon Jones, right now again at the last minute his injury problems have struck again. That'll be the third tour he misses.

As for Panesar he has again proven himself at Wantage Road, but anywhere else and he's not as good.

I feel sorry for SiJo as well, but he is not the first and almost certainly not the last bowler who will suffer injury problems. I think it is getting to the stage where they should just forget about him playing for England for a while. Let him recover and recuperate without the hurry of trying to make it back for certain test matches. Then just concentrate on county cricket. If he's fit and bowling well for a few matches leading into a test match then consider playing him, otherwise he's just going to prove a liability.

Big shame for Jimmy Anderson really, a place opens up for him and having worked so hard to get himself back in the frame he is out injured. Good chance however for some of the other promising bowlers to step up and earn themselves the spot. If they do it is only a good thing for English cricket.

Your point Hondey about Monty is very valid, Northants rarely use him in their away games and he could do with getting that experience of bowling on different tracks in differing circumstances to different quality batsman.

According to him there wasn't much turn in their match so a good sign that he has done well. Still do not feel that he will pose too much of a threat to the Sri Lankans at Lords however.

puddleduck said:
It's been a good day for the English lads today. Strauss got a ton, Bell got some runs, Panesar with a 5-for, Trescos first innings ton, Lewis has struck again to take his match figures to 7 wickets now, Key with a 50. All in all, a good couple of days work.

To add to this 4 wickets in a "hostile spell" from Mahmood and runs for Geraint Jones. More success for Englands potential side in the first test and the fringe players.

Hoggy is a legend, my favourite England player, like your sig as a result :)

He could have taken 1-500 and I would still have put my house on him taking a wicket with the new ball :)

Lewis seems to be causing SL all sorts of problems. Maybe he will be considered instead of Mahmood.
At least the Sri Lankan bowlers bowled well but batting looks to be a real issue.

aussie1st said:
Lewis seems to be causing SL all sorts of problems. Maybe he will be considered instead of Mahmood.
At least the Sri Lankan bowlers bowled well but batting looks to be a real issue.

Mahmoods place is all but assured.

Mahmood, Hoggard, Flintoff are the 3 bowlers playing, the other 2 slots are the ones up for debate. Seems to be down to Plunkett, Lewis, Panesar, Udal.

Personally would like to see Plunkett, but I guess with Mahmood and Flintoff both offering "hit-the-deck" options could be wise to complement Hoggard with another genuine swing bowler in Lewis. They could even pick Lewis and Plunkett, although it seems unlikely that they will play without a spinner. Udal seemed the front-runner considering his experience although Panesars 5-for in the last innings against Somerset could have put a little doubt in the selectors minds and they may decide to go with youth ahead of experience.

Will almost certainly be Hoggard and Flintoff though that will be expected to pick up wickets, they're going to be the two frontline experienced bowlers and if they bowl well will make life a lot easier for the others.

I see it as we have to have.

2 bounce bowlers, 2 swing bowlers.

Flintoff and Mahmood.

Lewis and Hoggard.

I can't see them leaving out Plunkett though, but Lewis is the best on form bowler of the lot.

Samaraweera and Vandort both got pairs. Amazing. Thank you, Fox Sports for covering this series.

England 'A' win by 10 wickets.

We needed a few runs and we got them getting to 41-0 Cook 23* Key 9*, 5 No Balls. :D

Lewis finished with 9-100 and Bopara grabs 2 second innings wickets with his dibble dabbles.

If Plunkett plays then Lewis won't be.

Mahmood is a certainty imo.

Lewis should be too, I don't think they will unfortunately.

well, good to Sri Lanka have that out of their system. now they can topple England with an element of ease. well, i can dream bout the ease part, but i definetly hope they topple england.

Gilchrist said:
Samaraweera and Vandort both got pairs. Amazing. Thank you, Fox Sports for covering this series.

are you being sarcastic, or are they actually covering this? coz when i checked i cudn't see anything.

Users who are viewing this thread