Sri Lanka in England/Netherlands

Fox Sports are just covering the highlights, right? I don't have Pay TV, but I was reading through the guide on the website....

Flintoff
Bell
Cook
Tres
Strauss
Collingwood
Pietersen
Jones
Panesar
Hoggard
Mahmood
Lewis
Plunkett

Our 13 man squad.

Decent squad but I think our bowling attack is a bit bland

Trescothick
Strauss
Cook
Bell
Pietersen
Flintoff
Collingwood
Jones
Hoggard
Lewis
Panesar

I have picked this team because I feel we will have to play to our strengths and play the extra batsman. Panesar will bowl long spells and Collingwood and Bell can bowl a bit as well. C'MON ENGLAND

I dunno, Mahmood should probably get the nod ahead of Lewis, or so it has been suggested. The conditions, come Thursday, will be a major factor in deciding who occupies the final spot though, as you can really only determine your strengths/weaknesses, with such a reduced squad, at this time.
The extra batsman has to be played; it's only a thirteen man squad...
That should provide extra support for the middle-order, and partly negate the possible collapse.

I do hope Mahmood plays because of me supporting LANKY but I think England will play Lewis because of his brilliant form at the moment

Sureshot said:
Flintoff
Bell
Cook
Tres
Strauss
Collingwood
Pietersen
Jones
Panesar
Hoggard
Mahmood
Lewis
Plunkett

Our 13 man squad.

Hmm.. from that squad i'd play:

Trescothick
Cook
Strauss
KP
Collingwood
Flintoff
G Jones
Lewis
Hoggard
Mahmood
Panesar

As much as i think Panesar is too inexpereicned, we need a spinner.

I really like the squad they've picked, a good mix of experience and youth, and good options between Lewis or Mahmood/Plunkett depending on whether the pitch is damp with overcast conditions or hard and sunny.

Great to see them giving Cook the nod at number 3 ahead of Bell. As much as I like Bell and think he will be one of Englands key batsman over the coming years he could do with some more time to develop his game and iron out his problems just outside off-stump.

I would guess the team would be something like:

Trescothick
Strauss
Cook (this top 3 is a certainty as they have stated Cook will play at 3)
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff
Jones
Plunkett
Hoggard
Mahmood/Lewis
Panesar

They may decide to not play a spinner at all and go with Bell and rely on Collingwood and Bells medium pacers to suplement the bowlers. Or more aggressively pick the 5th seam bowler and have Lewis and Mahmood playing. I feel Plunkett will play because of his growing ability with the bat, and the lack of either Giles or Udal to play at the number 8 slot. Then it should be down to the conditions as to which of the final seamers gets the nod.

Drewska said:
Hmm.. from that squad i'd play:

Trescothick
Cook
Strauss
KP
Collingwood
Flintoff
G Jones
Lewis
Hoggard
Mahmood
Panesar

As much as i think Panesar is too inexpereicned, we need a spinner.

I'd only make one change.

Plunkett for Mahmood.

Then plunkett 8, Hoggard 9, etc.

Depends on the pitch come Thursday.

Anyone know what pitches have been like at Lords so far?

Sureshot said:
I'd only make one change.

Plunkett for Mahmood.

Then plunkett 8, Hoggard 9, etc.

Depends on the pitch come Thursday.

Anyone know what pitches have been like at Lords so far?

Standard Lords pitches. Not much turn, decent carry and bounce, good hard wicket.

It's always the same at Lords. Will be the weather and whether it is overcast that decides the final place.

We need to have a variety of pace bowlers imo.

If it turns out to be a swinging pitch and we only have Hoggy, the chances might not as often as with Lewis aswell as Hoggy.

Tough one to call.

Plunkett has already more experience than Mahmood. Plunkett also offers more with the bat, alot more.

Users who are viewing this thread