Sri Lanka in England/Netherlands

I am pretty sure Plunkett will play so as to fill the number 8 slot. Fletcher rarely likes going in without a number 8 that can at least hold a bat.

It is a tough decision, because whilst Lewis would be more dangerous with the new ball than either Mahmood or Plunkett, it is when the ball is doing less that the other two, using their pace and bounce, will cause more problems.

But you can't leave Lewis out after the start to the season he's had.

Sureshot said:
But you can't leave Lewis out after the start to the season he's had.

You most certainly can. If county form meant everything, we would still have the likes of Graeme Hick and Mark Ramprakash floating around the fringes and people like Trescothick, Vaughan, Flintoff, Hoggard, Jones would never have gotten anywhere near the England team. County form doesn't mean everything ;)

Not saying I don't agree that Lewis should play, especially if it's going to be overcast, just that you most certainly can not use early county form as a complete basis for the England team.

puddleduck said:
You most certainly can. If county form meant everything, we would still have the likes of Graeme Hick and Mark Ramprakash floating around the fringes and people like Trescothick, Vaughan, Flintoff, Hoggard, Jones would never have gotten anywhere near the England team. County form doesn't mean everything ;)

Not saying I don't agree that Lewis should play, especially if it's going to be overcast, just that you most certainly can not use early county form as a complete basis for the England team.

True in a sense, but maintaining good consistent county form will get you into the team. Lewis has done that so far this year and even performed well last year. I would select him ahead of Mahmood for the 1st test.

I think Lewis is very much a "horses for courses" bowler. He's your standard English swing bowler, and if the conditions are right he will be a handful, if there's no help he will be fodder. He doesn't have the variation that Hoggard has in terms of cutters, slower balls, and the ability to "reverse" it a little when the ball is ripe for it.

I think considering the weather in London at the moment he stands a very good chance of playing, but Lords has always helped bowlers who hit the deck with good height, and as such Mahmood and Plunkett should enjoy the pitch and the natural slope causing a little movement off the pitch.

End of the day I think there is a case to be made for any of them to be picked, and a combination of what Fletcher thinks about their mental strength and the weather will play a big part. Considering Fletcher is clearly a fan of Plunkett and Mahmood, Lewis I feel is the one who will have to have done something extra special.

The 9 wicket haul against Sri Lanka will have gone a long way towards helping.

Do remember though that if the weather is going to be hot and sunny and the current overcast conditions fade away before the start of the test than Lewis will get little help in the air and at his pace will struggle to threaten batsman, whilst Mahmood and Plunkett both have the pace to do so regardless of the conditions.

Really is an interesting choice, and as I said there are good cases to be made for any of the options to be picked. Personally I think no matter who they go for, they will be too strong for Sri Lanka, and I can't wait for the 1st Test to start. After that ridiculously long Odi series in India, it seems like an age since I got to watch England play test cricket :D

Drewska said:
I agree with Lewis playing as long as he bowls around 80mph not 70-75mph

The speeds are irrelevant really.

He's no slower than Hoggard.

His pace hasn't affected him that much, because he is very accurate.

I think England should think more of the future of English cricket so the decision is Lewis or Mahmood. I would pick Sajjid Mahmood due to the fact that he is a good bowler who I feel can bowl anywhwere in the world. Jon Lewis I feel will only profit in England where it is Overcast and a bit of movement is available

Looking to the future is good, but what about now?

You pick the team on their abilities, not whether one is 23 or 29, imo.

puddleduck said:
I think Lewis is very much a "horses for courses" bowler. He's your standard English swing bowler, and if the conditions are right he will be a handful, if there's no help he will be fodder. He doesn't have the variation that Hoggard has in terms of cutters, slower balls, and the ability to "reverse" it a little when the ball is ripe for it.

What are ye talking about, Lewis gets his wickets with cutters just as much as his outswing. And he does have a slower ball.

Sajid Mahmood is a new player or something in English team, cousin of Amir Khan.

Sureshot said:
Looking to the future is good, but what about now?

You pick the team on their abilities, not whether one is 23 or 29, imo.

I'm not saying that I'm saying you should pick more of a long term team because I fell Jon lewis won't succeed abroad and Sajjid Mahmood has a better chance to succeed abroad

gary0808 said:
I'm not saying that I'm saying you should pick more of a long term team because I fell Jon lewis won't succeed abroad and Sajjid Mahmood has a better chance to succeed abroad

People used to say the same about Hoggard.

Has had success in:

India
South Africa
West Indies
and iirc New Zealand.

He's very similar to Lewis.

Sureshot said:
and iirc New Zealand.

Yep. Got a 5-fer.

Looks like Jayasurya will be back for the last 2 tests. Not good for England but he's nowhere near as good as he used to be.

Users who are viewing this thread