Sri Lanka in England/Netherlands

Do Test matches always start at 11:00 AM at local English time?

Last edited:
I was actually thinking the matches start at 10:30 AM, like in some other countries. But I guess not.

Thanks for telling.

A steady start from England early on, but are now gaining some fluency with positive strokeplay emerging from both openers. 0/34 off 11 is pretty decent- now they have to maintain this sort of mindset, yet not lose concentration in the process. Early wickets are always an inconvenience, so it's good to see a solid start.

ZexyZahid said:
I was actually thinking the matches start at 10:30 AM, like in some other countries. But I guess not.

Thanks for telling.
The last two years they started at 10.30am, so Channel 4 didn't have to drop 12 year old repeats of The Simpsons at 6pm. Traditionally, it's always been 11am.

Big lifeline for Trescothick, couldn't have been more plumb. Good thing the appeal was at Rudis end and not Dars. Good start thus far, both looking pretty good, I'd expect Strauss to be involved with the runs playing at his home ground.

Edit - Ah the "commentators curse". I had also expected him to get out to Murali, if he doesn't get out early, he always gets out to a spinner.

Last edited:
Decent session for us.

86-1 at lunch, and Cook plays spin well as does Tres. Tres was so lucky though.

Where are the Aussies slating their love for Murali?

andrew_nixon said:
The last two years they started at 10.30am, so Channel 4 didn't have to drop 12 year old repeats of The Simpsons at 6pm. Traditionally, it's always been 11am.

I thought the second and third tests were 10.30s. Might be wrong.

199-1 at tea from 59 overs.

Cook has looked relatively solid bar mis-reading a couple of Doosras.
Will Vaughan get his place back if Cook scores big runs this series?

Tres is nearing a hundred, played well, survived 2 plumb LBWs. Rudi didn't look interested in either, surprisingly.

Great session for England. Trescothick was always going to need to post a big 100 and thus far he is on course. Nice to see Cook again in the runs, much like in India against Bhaji and Kumble, he seems to be watching Murali very closely and gaining in confidence as the innings progresses.

Another lucky decision for Trescothick, but then if you get on the front foot against a spinner with Rudi umpiring you stand half a chance of being not out. Dar on the other hand would almost certainly have given both of them. Here's hoping they can carry on in this vein and put England into a very strong position.

Considering the swing that existed for at least the first 30-40 overs Hoggard should pick up a few wickets, and the bounce in the wicket should suit Plunket, Flintoff and Mahmood.

Murali as always looking dangerous, but Sri Lanka are lacking someone at the other end to keep the pressure building, once Vaas and Murali come off the runs begin to flow at a good rate again.

Trescothick Century. England are probably going to really turn on the style this session and start playing the shots

Congratulations to Trescothick on his century, England now need to extend their game further, up their run-rate a little as they can afford to. If Cook makes his half-century though it'll make my day :D

There goes Trescothick, brilliant innings but once again it's Murali who gets the wicket.

andrew_nixon said:

Yeah, thanks for the explanation. I was a bit confused, since I thought the previous Ashes matches started at 10:30 am (not sure about that).

barmyarmy said:
I thought the second and third tests were 10.30s. Might be wrong.

You mean the upcoming Tests against Sri Lanka? Why do they start half an hour earlier then? Again the Simpsons?

Users who are viewing this thread