Sri Lanka in England/Netherlands

cc2003btw said:
What are ye talking about, Lewis gets his wickets with cutters just as much as his outswing. And he does have a slower ball.

I don't think anyone in their right mind could compare Lewis cutters and slower balls with Hoggards.

Hoggards are extremely well disguised and his nous in when to use them is up there with the top bowlers in World Cricket.

Sureshot, people used to say the same about Hoggard, but Hoggard was young and had plenty of time to blossom into the world class bowler he is today. Lewis on the other hand is 30, and if he took half as long as Hoggard to develop would be approaching the end of his career by the time he started taking regular test wickets.

I think it makes a lot of sense to go with the youth options, especially considering that Lewis test career is never really going to exist unless the likes of Harmison, SiJo and Anderson spend the rest of their lifes injured.

Just watching Live from Lords at the moment, Michael Vaughan has confirmed that he wants to play in ODI matches and probably will :D

Great news for England and everything looks ship-shape before the First Test Match.

puddleduck said:
I don't think anyone in their right mind could compare Lewis cutters and slower balls with Hoggards.

Hoggards are extremely well disguised and his nous in when to use them is up there with the top bowlers in World Cricket.

Sureshot, people used to say the same about Hoggard, but Hoggard was young and had plenty of time to blossom into the world class bowler he is today. Lewis on the other hand is 30, and if he took half as long as Hoggard to develop would be approaching the end of his career by the time he started taking regular test wickets.

I think it makes a lot of sense to go with the youth options, especially considering that Lewis test career is never really going to exist unless the likes of Harmison, SiJo and Anderson spend the rest of their lifes injured.

Yes I know, but I think there is a point where you have to pick talent and form over youth.

It looks like Bell and Lewis will miss out tomorrow, I just hope we don't make the cardinal sin of not picking Monty, because if we go 5 Right Arm pacers and it does nothing for them, we will lose the Test.

hondeyho said:
Just watching Live from Lords at the moment, Michael Vaughan has confirmed that he wants to play in ODI matches and probably will :D

What's to smile about there? Vaughan is an awful odi batsman, he should be nowwhere near the team. I watched Live from lords aswell. 45 minutes of highlights at 7.15. brilliant tbh.

Eh?

So C5 do a 45 minute build up before the game starts?

Vaughan also has a average in ODIs of nearly 20% better than the mighty Afridis. :D

Edit; You didn't know there was 2 did you :p

Last edited:
Sureshot said:
Eh?

So C5 do a 45 minute build up before the game starts?

Vaughan also has a average in ODIs of nearly 20% better than the mighty Afridis. :D

Edit; You didn't know there was 2 did you :p

7.15 pm, sorry if you misunderstood that.

I watched Live from lords aswell. 45 minutes of highlights at 7.15. brilliant tbh.

I knew you meant PM Drewska.

So there was a build up tonight, is what I meant.

Sureshot said:
Yes I know, but I think there is a point where you have to pick talent and form over youth.

It looks like Bell and Lewis will miss out tomorrow, I just hope we don't make the cardinal sin of not picking Monty, because if we go 5 Right Arm pacers and it does nothing for them, we will lose the Test.

I think since Plunkett and Mahmood are highly likely to play, Panesar will play as Plunkett will be able to take the number 8 spot allowing the tail to begin with Hoggy and his stout foward defence.

Regarding the "point where you have to pick talent and form over youth" I believe that was the policy during the 1990's and it was without doubt one of the worst phases of English cricket in history :(

Because whilst picking someone with form and talent, it will always make more sense to pick someone who has form, talent and youth. Considering Plunkett and Mahmood are hardly out of form I believe picking them makes the most sense.

On a completely seperate note, I am as giddy as a school boy in a sweet shop in anticipation of the first test of the summer. After all those odis in India it seems like an age since I got to see England playing test cricket :D :happy

Last edited:
puddleduck said:
I think since Plunkett and Mahmood are highly likely to play, Panesar will play as Plunkett will be able to take the number 8 spot allowing the tail to begin with Hoggy and his stout foward defence.

Regarding the "point where you have to pick talent and form over youth" I believe that was the policy during the 1990's and it was without doubt one of the worst phases of English cricket in history :(

Because whilst picking someone with form and talent, it will always make more sense to pick someone who has form, talent and youth. Considering Plunkett and Mahmood are hardly out of form I believe picking them makes the most sense.

Gotta agree there, if you have two fresher, younger options who are in possession of those three factors, blooding them can only benefit the platform from which English bowling stocks will look to build upon in the future, after the famous pace-quartet...
Also, Plunkett is more than capable with the bat, and with Hoggard's tight, almost rearguard, defence, can really build productive lower-rder partnerships.

Drewska said:
Yes. And they have Mark Nicolas (:(), Simon hughes (:)) and Boycott (:D).

I thought everyone hated Simon Hughes....

I don't think everyone hated Simon Hughes, in fact people him to be part of the full commentary team. Did a mighty fine job last year in the Ashes.

kodos said:
I don't think everyone hated Simon Hughes, in fact people him to be part of the full commentary team. Did a mighty fine job last year in the Ashes.

I didn't mind him, infact his analysis' were very good, but I was pretty much basing my point on reading the 'allout cricket' magazine, where he was listed as one of the worst technological advances. Obviously, those papers are usually full of rubbish/pointless gossip, as is with most of the Inside Cricket magazines over here, in my opinion. (Bar the expert author contributions, that's good)

puddleduck said:

On a completely seperate note, I am as giddy as a school boy in a sweet shop in anticipation of the first test of the summer. After all those odis in India it seems like an age since I got to see England playing test cricket :D :happy

But in the 90s the players we were picking weren't as talented as the bunch we have today. And yes I'm enthrawled too.

I really think Panesar won't play, despite spinners at Lord's never doing well, this is a different May and Winter for England.
Had very little rain.

Regardless of the pitch and conditions, Panesar should play. If he doesn't take many wickets, at least he can tie one end down and rest a few of the seam bowlers.

Users who are viewing this thread