The PlanetCricket Battrick Sledging Thread

Briggsey said:
I have just seen the result now, full credit to Adi, he did to me what I usually do to other teams! But no complaints or excuses, I have been beaten fair and square and I hope I have been beaten by the eventual winners of the tournament!

Good game mate, hope we meet again very soon!
Thanks for a truly entertaining game. I was battrick the whole game!! Why wasn't Thatcher playing?

Adarsh said:
Thanks for a truly entertaining game. I was battrick the whole game!! Why wasn't Thatcher playing?
That was a school boy error on my part, I forgot I had not set Thatcher up in my default team, which is the team that played that game.

I was at work the whole time so unfortunately did not get to see the commentary, but I shall be watching the final next week seeing as its Easter Sunday!

Its going to be a cracking final, and would have been even more entertaining if The Falcons had actually played their semi-final! The Bushwackers have a pretty decent team, so you probably go into it equal pegging which makes it all the more interesting!

Two underdogs, so-to-speak in the final, its what dreams are made for! :)

Hmm, I don't know re:Falcons. He sold many of his best players, and his ratings don't seem to be THAT great. I could have been a close match between me and him. I thought that you didn't set Thatcher in your line up, that's why I was sort of hinting to you yesterday to make sure that you set your best team.

The Falcons have lost it, IMO. There team is full of players with highish primaries but absolutley no secondaries, and like Adarsh said, he sold off many of his best. He has no certain playing XI of what I've seen, and wins most of his matches on basis of purely having highly skilled players. Tacticians such as Briggs, Adarsh and myself an and would have easily takcled his team.
Its also good to see the teams which actually have hardworking managers (Except mine...) make it this far. Good sign that you need a good brain too.

ZoraxDoom said:
The Falcons have lost it, IMO. There team is full of players with highish primaries but absolutley no secondaries, and like Adarsh said, he sold off many of his best. He has no certain playing XI of what I've seen, and wins most of his matches on basis of purely having highly skilled players. Tacticians such as Briggs, Adarsh and myself an and would have easily takcled his team.
Its also good to see the teams which actually have hardworking managers (Except mine...) make it this far. Good sign that you need a good brain too.
I think he relies on Shabaz a lot at the top of his innings, he's the best player in the team, and the rest as you said are nothing special. I thought before he sold all his best players that he had quite a good all round team, he had that quality spinner who he sold, cant remember his name, but I guess thats the only way you can possibly hope to compete with all the top level teams. I mean a squad full of proficient bowlers and batsman with mediocre secondaries are not going to stand a chance against strong or quality batsman and bowlers with proficient secondaries.

In the end, the best players in your team all have to make way for you to have a chance of buying better, unless they are young and trainable which is what im trying to get now in preperation for next season.

I have a pretty decent 17 yo West Indian batsman that im suprised you didnt go for Zorax when he was listed. With the right training he will be quite a decent middle order player, and with Mcdonagh going to Spin's team soon (or so it seems) the opportunity is there for him.

My season IMO ends next week, if I beat gloucester gipsies(2nd in my league, 4 points behind me but they have a higher run rate and much stronger team) then im promoted, if I lose, another season in the same league it will be unless something drastic happens. My planning for next season will start next Saturday!

I've stopped buying new players. In bit of a financial problem. I would have gone for him if I knew though, haven't been in the TM for a while.

I sold my strong batsman/competant 17 yr old wk with feeble stamina and secondaries for a million. For him, I've bought two very good players, one who just scored 144 off 112 and beat you. I think it's all about balance. As Zanarkand might tell you, it's no good having a star who's much much better than the rest of your team. I think it's good to have 2/3 really good players and all the rest being good support. In my team which played you, there were 8 proficient and above players, which I think is quite good. I also have a resp. bat/ med. wk who does a decent job for me and a competant batsman with mediocre stamina, conc and proficient fielding.

What my team lacks is a multi-million pound player. I am building my cash to buy one who's worth about 1-1.5 million, and who won't need any further training. I'm am really unfortunate to be in such a good league in my division, hence my position. Next season, I expect be around 2nd or 3rd place.

I misread the price on your player Briggs! Otherwise I wouldnt buy him

Hes still a good player though

Adarsh said:
I sold my strong batsman/competant 17 yr old wk with feeble stamina and secondaries for a million. For him, I've bought two very good players, one who just scored 144 off 112 and beat you. I think it's all about balance. As Zanarkand might tell you, it's no good having a star who's much much better than the rest of your team. I think it's good to have 2/3 really good players and all the rest being good support. In my team which played you, there were 8 proficient and above players, which I think is quite good. I also have a resp. bat/ med. wk who does a decent job for me and a competant batsman with mediocre stamina, conc and proficient fielding.

What my team lacks is a multi-million pound player. I am building my cash to buy one who's worth about 1-1.5 million, and who won't need any further training. I'm am really unfortunate to be in such a good league in my division, hence my position. Next season, I expect be around 2nd or 3rd place.
Well being blessed with a weak starting league was a good start for me, even if I dont go up next year, I will still be the strongest team in the league unless the others buy heavily.

I did that 'best team in battrick' test out on the sledging forums, my total came to 74 which I thought was pretty decent, gloucester had 80 but the rest were all early 60's and mid 50's so I predict a decent year next time out if I dont get promoted.

Just a query on the subjects of leagues, will the FC leagues be the same as the OD leagues next year?

I think it's going to be separate leagues. On the club home page it says for example " One Day League - IV.36". I suppose everyone will start in the divisions of thier OD side.

I don't do tests and stuff. I know how good my team is and can be. Remeber, good management adds like 50% to your team's performance, regardless of skills.
Last season I was in a league full of bots, and so took the opportunity to grasp the concepts of the game. I decided when this season started that I wouldn't focus on winning (Heck, I can beat every team in my league if I went in full strength each time), but instead use this season to develop my team and experiment. In that case, it has been a success. All my seamers have opened the bowling now and then, I've tried a few different pitches, different batting lineups and orders, and have given nearly everyone in my team a bowl! I already have my training planned out for the next season, and am not expecting to promote (Unless a few upsets take place...) and to stay in this league next season. Not sure if my opponents will be stronger or weaker though.

I don't know about that. I would do all I could to promote. I am looking for one star YP. A 17 yr old double respectable allrounder would do fine.

Adarsh said:
I think it's going to be separate leagues. On the club home page it says for example " One Day League - IV.36". I suppose everyone will start in the divisions of thier OD side.
Yep, thats basically what I was quering, I knew obviously there would be seperate leagues, but weather we would be facing the same teams as in our OD leagues was unknown to me

ZoraxDoom said:
I don't do tests and stuff. I know how good my team is and can be. Remeber, good management adds like 50% to your team's performance, regardless of skills.
Last season I was in a league full of bots, and so took the opportunity to grasp the concepts of the game. I decided when this season started that I wouldn't focus on winning (Heck, I can beat every team in my league if I went in full strength each time), but instead use this season to develop my team and experiment. In that case, it has been a success. All my seamers have opened the bowling now and then, I've tried a few different pitches, different batting lineups and orders, and have given nearly everyone in my team a bowl! I already have my training planned out for the next season, and am not expecting to promote (Unless a few upsets take place...) and to stay in this league next season. Not sure if my opponents will be stronger or weaker though.
I quite like your reverse order, it seems a good way to get some batting into the lower order, they may not stick around for long but it would be good experience none the less. In some cases it doesnt work, like your game against Adi, I just wonder what would have happened if you had put your top order in their right positions. Against weaker teams though it is definatlely worth a try.

Briggsey said:
I quite like your reverse order, it seems a good way to get some batting into the lower order, they may not stick around for long but it would be good experience none the less. In some cases it doesnt work, like your game against Adi, I just wonder what would have happened if you had put your top order in their right positions. Against weaker teams though it is definatlely worth a try.
I've posted this in Sledging, and many people have said its a stupid idea. But it isn't, its the reason infact that the match was close!!

1) When batting first, it tires out his batters a bit on the field.
2) The tail faces off his bowlers when they are fresh and high on stamina. They come back in the last 20 overs tired, so bowl worse. And they bowl worse to my best batters on attacking orders when they are fresh. Do the math.
3) If the bowlers have poor consistency it is a bonus. It means they will leak out more runs. Leaking out more runs when you are tired to fresh, attacking, highly skilled batsmen.
4) When bowling, the bowlers would have had a good 30+ overs in the pavillion with no need to come in to bat. They will be fresher and ready to bowl.

It works out as an excellent plan to use against teams (Such as Adarsh's and The Falcons) who have players with high primaries and poor secondaries. I am not sure on point 4, but it could possibly have an effect. You can see why most of high primary batsmen (Apart from Hoult, who had good stamina anyways) struggled to get high scores, and how his bowlers got cartered around in the end.

Now, don't go stealing my idea! Even though I stole it from Zarakanand to begin with...

Users who are viewing this thread