The VB Series 2006

VB Series Winner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wow the South Africans were getting belted early. The death bowling was pretty good but Sri Lanka really lacked some big hitters.

I agree with the commentators that Atapattu bats too low.

Still, we have a game on our hands :) which is great to see.

Sri Lanka are really on top. Looks like another big loss at the vbookie for me :(

Soutn Africa will have to pull something really exciting off now. They dug themselves deep with slow run rates early. The field will be back for the rest. Good luck.

I think they really got the toss wrong and their young bowlers didn't bowl well enough early. The batting collapse and run outs at the start havn't helped either, the run rate keeps climbing and climbing.

UGH!!!! Looks like SA have lost me even more Vcash. only 200 left :(

Credit to Atapattu and Sri Lanka though. They are definatly stronger setting and defending and the captain managed the bowlers well. Just need to finish them off now and bowl out the overs.

All over. Sri Lanka have always had the talent to win games. They showed that in the last game in NZ and now here. They attacked the bowling and won.

The extra comparison says a lot. South Africa arn't doing the basics right. They arn't taking catches, are giving away too many extras, slow over rates, poor lines and lengths.

Last edited:
Fantastic win by the Lankans and should set up for a cracker of a series. Sri Lanka and Aus on top and SA only 1 point behind. Massive improvement today, they looked much more commited and batted very well. Their fielding was fantastic tonight, probably as good as Australia's :p Another very decent knock by Boucher and probably the most in form batsman for South Africa. Boucher and Sangakarra are both looking the goods and pressurising Gilchrist as the best wicket-keeper batsman in the world.

siddharth2002 said:
Mubarak is turning it on, hopefully my measy bet on SL in Vbookie works. SA lack the batters to chase good totals against Vaas and Murali.
I think I'd simply quote myself!!:p

This is good for the competition that Sri Lanka has won. Sri Lanka is slowly coming out of their dip. But I had expected from South Africa to be closer then this.

ZexyZahid said:
This is good for the competition that Sri Lanka has won. Sri Lanka is slowly coming out of their dip. But I had expected from South Africa to be closer then this.
Lol Zexy whats ur Vcash situation, still got any on vbookie somewhere or completely broke. Bugger me, I've still got about 150+ on VB series victory on Aus.

A bit upside world to win against Australia and then to lose against Sri Lanka.

Next match is South Africa on 20th January. I hope that South Africa will give a hard time again to Australia, so it will be an exciting match to watch. Well, to read for me actually on cricinfo.

ZexyZahid said:
A bit upside world to win against Australia and then to lose against Sri Lanka.

Next match is South Africa on 20th January. I hope that South Africa will give a hard time again to Australia, so it will be an exciting match to watch. Well, to read for me actually on cricinfo.
Actually Aus will win it comfortably and all my vcash will be betted on them this time.:cool:

Well well what a surprise. But hats off to Sangakkara, who has been by far Sri Lanka's saviour and most consistent performer with the bat for a long time now.

This sets up the series well, although I would have preferred South Africa take a lead after the first round of matches.

m_vaughan said:
This sets up the series well, although I would have preferred South Africa take a lead after the first round of matches.
I would've liked to see RSA take a lead as well. Now Australia have a chance to get on top. Hopefully SL will keep up their form against the Aussies.

Actually SL might win one against Aus as well but I m not sure on SA form though; they struggled even against Aus in previous game. Looks like SL is reaching the finals. SA lack the batters to post or chase good totals. And Smith has been shown the right place; he's got some faults in his technique and aptly utilised by the bowlers here. Only the Indians were stupid to miss the trick. That drawn series still hurt sometimes.

I had a feeling SL would win this one hence my betting on them. I agree Siddharth SA do look shakey. If you can post a good total against them they will struggle. Spin also maybe a problem so putting Hogg on them maybe a good plan.
The interesting thing would be how much can SA make when they bat first. Also Hall should really be opening, most likely for Smith who seems out of form.

OMFG,I'm shocked!We have been beaten by one of the worst teams in ODI cricket!We basically gifted the game to them,by letting them bat first then our inexperienced bowling line-up bowled badly.We also dropped some sitters.We probably could have chased that score but we threw wickets away with soft dismisals due to run-outs,that Rudolph runout really cost us plenty.I'm glad that Steyn should be there for the match against Aus on fri,and hopefully Langeveld will be fit.I don't think Sri Lanka will win again this series as the Aussies should crush them and I'm sure our new attack will help us a lot.It's one thing being beaten by a side with such poor form,even though they played well,but to have those arrogant supporters showing signs like " go home SA".We will see who goes home!,but I'm sure the Aussies and us will put them back in their place soon.

I've got one really important question,why is it when we beat Australia or in the test when we managed to get the draw,there is no match presentation afterwards,but when they win,or we lose,there is one?This is absolute biased BS.

kodos said:
Fantastic win by the Lankans and should set up for a cracker of a series. Sri Lanka and Aus on top and SA only 1 point behind. Massive improvement today, they looked much more commited and batted very well. Their fielding was fantastic tonight, probably as good as Australia's :p Another very decent knock by Boucher and probably the most in form batsman for South Africa. Boucher and Sangakarra are both looking the goods and pressurising Gilchrist as the best wicket-keeper batsman in the world.

Sangakara is but Gilchrist is miles superior to Boucher, two average fiftys do not warrent that title for him.

Gibbsrules said:
OMFG,I'm shocked!We have been beaten by one of the worst teams in ODI cricket!We basically gifted the game to them,by letting them bat first then our inexperienced bowling line-up bowled badly.We also dropped some sitters.We probably could have chased that score but we threw wickets away with soft dismisals due to run-outs,that Rudolph runout really cost us plenty.I'm glad that Steyn should be there for the match against Aus on fri,and hopefully Langeveld will be fit.I don't think Sri Lanka will win again this series as the Aussies should crush them and I'm sure our new attack will help us a lot.It's one thing being beaten by a side with such poor form,even though they played well,but to have those arrogant supporters showing signs like " go home SA".We will see who goes home!,but I'm sure the Aussies and us will put them back in their place soon.

I've got one really important question,why is it when we beat Australia or in the test when we managed to get the draw,there is no match presentation afterwards,but when they win,or we lose,there is one?This is absolute biased BS.

I laugh at you. You were thumped by Sri Lanka. Not just beaten. SL dominated the whole match. And then afterwald Smith thought his team played well. Bahahaha.

Gibbsrules said:

I was suprised about the result but I never underestimated the lankans. Today Sri Lanka played very very well, Sangakarra played a brilliant knock and the rest of the batsmen chipped in with some useful runs. When South Africa cam to bat the lanakns dominated from ball 1, all of thier bowlers bowled very well, and I can honestly say that this was one of the Lankans best game since a long while.

South Africa should have hung on to thier catching chances.

Users who are viewing this thread