The VB Series 2006

VB Series Winner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
They better be closing the roof today, I am in Tasmania and the weather is absolutly shocking, pouring with rain and storms are very close.

If you want to move Smith do it with Hall opening as this guy has talent with the bat. Infact last time he opened was when Smith made a 100.

I agree Smith should always remain at the top of the order and leave Boucher where he is. Perhaps Andrew Hall should be moved up the order becauase he does have talent. Or they could use him as the supersub. Interesting article on Cricinfo by a former umpire labelling Ponting a disgrace to Australia. http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/australia/content/story/233695.html and that this Australian team is the worst team in the history of the game. I think this Aussie team atm is the most hated team ever if you read articles from past cricketers and even from some recent cricketers such as Mark Taylor. Lou Rowan highlights Ponting as a "smart arse" and a "disaster of a leader".

aussie1st said:
Martyn opening is interesting, and Clarke at 4. I hope Clarke does better than he did in the test arena at 4. If not I would switch Martyn and Clarke around as Clarke was more than capable as an opener.

I was just making the same point to a mate. I reckon Martyn at four gives the side greater balance, a 'rock' type of guy that can the Aussies can build an innings around. Clarke has shown promise at the top, and has the attacking game that would take the pressure of the debutant (if it was to come off). Fair enough if you want Clarke there at the end with Hussey (that's a great combo), but I just don't see him as a four at this stage of a career, more an impact player at the beginning or conclusion of an innings.

Dale Steyn is looking to be a bad replacement. Absolute schocking bowling, wide and far too many no balls. Wonder why didn't they pick Zondeki instead of Steyn for the match.

Wow Steyn is the worst bowler I have ever seen. What a shocking two overs. That wicket doesn't constitute anything.

He was very fortunate to pick up the wicket thanks to a ripper of a catch by Prince. Only one excuse for Steyn and that is jetlag but still Steyn is bad. Don't know why they dropped Zondeki for Steyn, really ridiculous.

At the moment: Australia: 181/6 (34.1 Ovs)

Pollock comes for the bowling change and gets a wicket first ball. Australia is struggling I would say. Runrate is pretty good, but wickets are running out. Bonus is that Hussey is there. I am surprised some Australian batsmen didn't make a good score again.

But South Africa is very well restricting the Australians.

Too bad Jaques couldn't get his century.

The wicket ball was a shocker, it was just lucky Symonds wasn't "In" yet.

Bad luck to Jacques who didn't edge it. Didn't sound like an edge so I suppose the ump went on the deflection. Still a great knock though on a pitch that doesn't look great.

Yeah Steyn bowled really poorly and it was an experiment that didn't exactly pay off. Yet he's still pretty decent because he gives everything and works hard so it'll pay off, he probably needs confidence because he's got pace or so that's what I've heard of him anyway. But dropping Zondeki was pretty extreme.

Hussey is out. 214/7 with 8 overs left. Seven wickets already down. I would say Australia will reach 265 if Lee stays there. Even Smith is now bowling.

Smith is bowling and he got a wicket! :eek: Forget about the 265. I think Australia will be happy if they even will get 250 now.

Last edited:
I feel that this is the best time to play Australia in ODIs with them experimenting with th batting lineup .

Also , I think that Australia will just win this match . Chasing at the Telstra Dome can be very difficult as we all know.

Sando said:
Bad luck to Jacques who didn't edge it. Didn't sound like an edge so I suppose the ump went on the deflection. Still a great knock though on a pitch that doesn't look great.
The pitch is ok, but it isn't a slogger pitch. It's definitely the Aussies who have played a touch impatient and squandered an opportunity to make a big score. South Africa for the most part bowled well, but not exceptional, unless you count Steyn as exceptionally bad.

However, this is a good reason why the Telstra Dome is a good venue, that should be used as much as possible. The cricket is always interesting, rain can't stop the match and for spectators, it has excellent facilities.

Great fightback by SA considering the Aussies were going at 5.6 an over and were 3-170 odd. Fielding much improved by SA and held onto their catches, even the rather difficult ones. This game is right in the balance but Aus slightly on top because of an indifferent pitch and Aus have Lee and McGrath at their disposal. Smith I feel has gotta make a contribution tonight if they are going to win or Dipenaar.

I tought the Super-sub player for SA was very good, Johan Van Der Vath. He changed the game around with 2 vital wickets. The Clarke one was a very good delivery but the Jaques one was fortunate. He tied things down and next match he will probably start in the 11. Good sub though by Smith and shows how the super-sub can change a game around and it works.

Users who are viewing this thread