West Indies in England

Neither bowler should be anywhere near the international sides, they should both be playing county cricket and actually learning their game and not getting spanked in international cricket at such a young age. This is one of the areas we keep making mistakes, picking players too young when they don't actually know their own game.
I agree as I've already said but if you have to choose one then imo it should be Broad. You would have with his Sussex connections that Moores would have gone for Kirtley though or is he injured?

No, Kirtley is injury free and doing well. Joe, that looks like from one angle as though your suggesting some sort of conspiracy? :D

Guys remember that although I'm defending Yardy, I still think Monty is better. I'd personally have played both in the 20-20s.

Well lets just say Moores has his favourites like Fletcher did by the looks of things. Thankfully it seems Broads one of them from his England A days :p

Neither bowler should be anywhere near the international sides, they should both be playing county cricket and actually learning their game and not getting spanked in international cricket at such a young age. This is one of the areas we keep making mistakes, picking players too young when they don't actually know their own game.

Agreed. If you look at the Aussies they let players develop and then bring them on when they are ready and know their games inside out. Stuart Clark is a prime example. Moores and the selectors looked like they were going in the right direction when he picked Sidebottom, but they have gone two steps forward and one step back when they pick the likes of Plunkett and Broad, who really have a lot to learn.

The ICC should really review Marlon Samuel's quicker ball. To me, it looks like a chuck.

The ICC should really review Marlon Samuel's quicker ball. To me, it looks like a chuck.

I agree, if you look at the one to Collingwood, that's gotta be more than 15 degrees...

I agree as I've already said but if you have to choose one then imo it should be Broad.

Still don't see why Broad should be picked ahead of Plunkett given the choice. Not only do I think Plunkett is more talented and Broad isn't actually all he's cracked up to be, but Plunkett does have experience at international level and has shown that when he plays well, he can dismiss the best batsmen in the world. However, they still shouldn't be in the squad, yet.

On Broad, I'd love to be proved wrong, but I just think there is something missing that will make him a top quality bowler. Not sure what it is, but something just doesn't convince me.

Still don't see why Broad should be picked ahead of Plunkett given the choice. Not only do I think Plunkett is more talented and Broad isn't actually all he's cracked up to be, but Plunkett does have experience at international level and has shown that when he plays well, he can dismiss the best batsmen in the world. However, they still shouldn't be in the squad, yet.

On Broad, I'd love to be proved wrong, but I just think there is something missing that will make him a top quality bowler. Not sure what it is, but something just doesn't convince me.
Well Plunkett has had a run in the side and stll shows no real control, we need someone reliable. Just because you don't rate Broad doesn't make him a bad bowler either, he's obviosuly got something otherwise he wouldn't be so hyped up.

Broad can bowl on the square. Plunkett can't. That in ODI cricket is an absolutely huge matter.

I never said he was a bad bowler...
you don't think he's good enough which surely at international level would make him a bad bowler

Sidebums not playing, neithers Yardy! Plunkett and Broad both playing should be interesting.

Last edited:
you don't think he's good enough which surely at international level would make him a bad bowler

Not quite sure how you worked that out but there we go. At no point have I said Broad is a bad bowler or said that he couldn't do a job at international level, I just don't think he's as good as he's cracked up to be.

Very surprised that both Plunkett and Broad are playing, could be a long afternoon if neither fires!

Last edited:
Well surely to be a good player at international level you have to be a top quality bowler?

What happened to the idea of attacking the powerplays?!

Come on Matt!!

Broad can bowl on the square. Plunkett can't. That in ODI cricket is an absolutely huge matter.

They are both as bad as each other in terms of reliability - difference is Plunkett gets wickets: he took apart Australia in the Commonwealth Bank Series.

I agree that they should be laying County Cricket but if I had to pick one of them it would be Plunkett. Plus he's a very good batsman.

On selection for the match: Panesar over Yardy is really a nothing selection. Yardy has actually shown better penetration in ODI's but we all know Monty's the better player. Again, Monty has little experience as an one day player and shouldn't be learning it here. As for picking Bell over Trott - ridiculous, give the guy a chance. He averages 41 in domestic one dayers for christ sake! Bell has been injured so why not rest him for the series?

Another blistering start from theese two quality openers :rolleyes: . At least Cook is proving me right why he shouldn't be picked. As for Prior, well he's not a great one day player either is he? What happened to maximising the power play overs?

Users who are viewing this thread