Emerging Players Tournament 2009 (Aus, NZ, SA, IND)

blake

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
So much for Kane Williamson. He's turning out to be a hack. I suspected slight bs when all the Kiwis talked him up like he was the next Bradman, but I didn't realize he couldn't make more than 10 runs against half-decent opposition..

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Very average bowling display after we made over 300. Cooper is such a talent, able to score slowly or quickly. Faulkner and Steven Smith got brought back down to earth very quickly after going well previously with the ball.

blake

School Cricketer
Is Steven Smith that leggie from NSW? I think I saw him practising his bowling in the nets before a Twenty20 game at the Gabba.. he looked a pretty decent bowler. I'm not sure if that's him though or if I'm just imagining things.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Yea hes a up and coming leggie all rounder. Warne and Jenner rate his leg break so he most have potential.

irottev

School Cricketer
So much for Kane Williamson. He's turning out to be a hack. I suspected slight bs when all the Kiwis talked him up like he was the next Bradman, but I didn't realize he couldn't make more than 10 runs against half-decent opposition..

I think it was only one member talking him up. I certainly wasn't. And I don't remember anyone comparing him to Bradman, but if they did it was a stupid thing to say.

He's young and talented, but there's no guarantee he'll be any good. He has a long way to go yet.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors

Jeez, I didn't know players these days were rated on one 20/20 and four One Day games :sarcasm

I've talked him up yes, but I haven't said at any time he is the next Bradman.

couldn't make more than 10 runs against half-decent opposition.

Typical aussie comment tbh, rubbish our domestic players records by saying the bowling is poor. Bond, Tuffey, O'Brien, Franklin, Wagner would most likely disagree with that statement.

Williamson named Northern Districts' best | New Zealand Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

So being named ND's cricketer of the year at 18 means nothing I guess. Williamson is easily the best batsmen to come into FC cricket in NZ in the last 10-15 years. Heck his domestic coach Grant Bradburn thinks he is already the most complete bastmen in the ND squad, which includes test batsmen Daniel Flynn.

Last edited:

Cricketdude

Chairman of Selectors
I agree with you Howsie. Just because you don't perform in a tournament doesn't mean you won't be any good. Will probably be the next Fleming but definitley not the next bradman(not that you ever said that).

blake

School Cricketer
No offense to any NZ guys if I have offended you, I just thought things were getting a little bit boring around here so I might stir the Kane Williamson pot.

The Bradman thing was an obvious exaggeration but I still haven't seen him perform. Maybe he is doing well with ND but will he continue his form? Or will he fizzle out to be a top domestic performer but never at international level (look at David Hussey for example).

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Smith and Cooper are in sensational form. David Warner started a prominent 08/09 with a successful academy stint in the winter of 2008; could one of these two be about to do the same?

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
No offense to any NZ guys if I have offended you, I just thought things were getting a little bit boring around here so I might stir the Kane Williamson pot.

The Bradman thing was an obvious exaggeration but I still haven't seen him perform. Maybe he is doing well with ND but will he continue his form? Or will he fizzle out to be a top domestic performer but never at international level (look at David Hussey for example).

No worries mate, your entitled to your opinion. I'd like to know what you mean by "I still haven't seen him perform", I'm guessing you mean playing for NZ A or in this tournament. He played two FC games against the England Lions earlier this year, I think he only made one 50 though. You would have to think he is only going to get better though, I mean he is only 18 still. David Hussey didn't make his FC debut until he was 25, he has a fantastic record but that might be the best he is ever going to be.

You could be right about him never going on to be as good as some are predicting. There have been tons of guys over the years that have dominated FC cricket but haven't gone on with it in test cricket. But Williamson has always risen to another level in every level of cricket he has played.

blake

School Cricketer
When I quoted I still haven't seen him perform, I meant that in all the matches I have been following, Williamson hasn't performed. I don't follow NZ domestic cricket, but I'm sure he must be a very prominent batsman in that form.

I would like to see Williamson join the NZ senior squad soon - perhaps they shouldn't rush him, but if he is good enough he should be exposed earlier rather than later, in my opinion, so NZ can get the full potential out of him. Besides, I just want to see if he would fail at international level or perform. Obviously he will get better with age, but I still haven't seen him bat on TV or live - I've only had to rely on scorecards.

By the way, Howsie, is that Jamal Idris in your avatar? He's a looker. ;)

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
I'm sort of split as to when New Zealand should select him tbh. There was an article about him on Cricinfo a few months back and most of the NZ domesic coaches were saying that he still needs another 1-2 years of domestic cricket before making the NZ team, plus performing at a high level. We don't need another Tim Southee situation.

But knowing the NZ selectors I could quite easily see him playing for us within the next year, most likely in the ODI team. I still think he needs a full season batting at three for ND before playing for NZ though, he batted at 4-5 all last season. If he does well at three I would expect to see him in the test team within the next year or two.

Jamal Idris, haha sure is. Beast of a man if you ask me lol

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
At least Rahane has been in decent form. His scores so far have been 44*, 21, 15, 95, 92. Poor showings from India.

Users who are viewing this thread