England's tour of India - 2021

Yes he is an impact player.. the X factor if you will. Can turn a match on its head unless he fails early.. and that is on the cards I'd imagine more often than not on a deck that is doing something.. I hope he comes off against Australia's old enemy. I really do.
I completely agree. Pant is a disgrace.
He played some of the most horrendous test innings I've ever seen in the Australia series.
I cannot understand why Saha was dropped. Obviously, he is a better keeper, but he is also a significantly better Test batsman than Pant. Saha was so unlucky to play in bowling friendly conditions in the 1st Test, then be dropped for batting friendly conditions in 2nd 3rd and 4th test.

Why Pant, Gill and Bumrah are playing in Tests I'll never know. They can't hack it in red ball cricket. They are IPL superstars, so let them be IPL superstars.

Honestly, I supported Saha before the series over Pant. But the kind of garbage shot he played in the first Test, despite being such a senior player and having been around for so long was worth punishing and dropping.

And Calling Bumrah unworthy of playing in Tests is just B-level trolling

Honestly, I supported Saha before the series over Pant. But the kind of garbage shot he played in the first Test, despite being such a senior player and having been around for so long was worth punishing and dropping.

I believe the above post was rather a sarcasm than trolling.

I had heard that the BCCI had been moving away from traditional Indian spinning wickets. Is this correct. England has been vulnerable in past against quality spin bowling so will the India brains trust go with dust bowls to assist Ash and Jadeja or grassy tracks to suit their fine pace attack?
They would have dead tracks like the last time when England played here and scoring 450-500 was a norm. Also Chepauk wicket can't sustain for long and it dries out pretty quickly due to heat. The Tests are pretty much at the end of winter season over there so the heat plays a part to some extent.

This whole thread has descended into some pretty weak bait, so we'd best get it back on track with some healthy discussion.

And I'm going to say that India have enough Test-quality cricketers to fill about three teams at the moment, and that as an Irish fan that's really quite irritating. It would be much appreciated if you could donate us a few of your fringe-fringe players. Something like this would make me happy:

:ire: :bat: Paul Stirling
:ind: :bat: Rituraj Gaikwad
:ire: :bat: Andy Balbirnie
:ind: :bat: Mandeep Singh
:ire: :ar: Curtis Campher
:ind: :wk: Sheldon Jackson
:ire: :ar: Simi Singh
:ind: :bwl: Amit Mishra
:ire: :bwl: Barry McCarthy
:ind: :bwl: Jaydev Unadkat
:ire: :bwl: David Delany

I'm not trying to be unreasonable and take your best players, but it is depressing how players who probably wouldn't get into India's C-team would make ours definitively stronger

Saha played better test innings in the 1st test than Pant did in any of the subsequent tests. In test cricket, I don't care about runs scored, but balls faced and the mindset. Pant is way too reckless and immature to be playing test cricket. He is only 23. He should be grinding it in Ranji until he learns good temperament and is mature, maybe when he is 28 or so. Pant and Gill need to learn from Pujara on how to bat in Test cricket. Pujara was our best player in the 4th test.

I have always said Bumrah doesn't deserve to play Test cricket. Umesh Yadav and Siraj are much better bowlers. It is so unfair that Bumrah plays in away Tests but not home, in dead tracks where Umesh had to toil. Who is Bumrah to merit such treatment?

Saha played better test innings in the 1st test than Pant did in any of the subsequent tests. In test cricket, I don't care about runs scored, but balls faced and the mindset. Pant is way too reckless and immature to be playing test cricket. He is only 23.

Number of balls faced by Saha over two innings in the first test = 46

Number of balls faced by Pant in the second test = 40 (isn't higher because he didn't bat in the second innings)

Number of balls faced by an injured Pant in the third test = 185 (if an injured batsman still playing his way through pain is not grinding and 'mentality', what is?)

Number of balls faced by Pant in the fourth test = 167

Illustrates the complete idiocy of Saha > Pant.

Saha averages less tham 30. Pant over 40. Even if Pant's keeping isn't good enough surely there are other keepers who could do better than Saha with the bat.
The thing is we had a long period where no other keepers were given chance to develop at international level. Can't put my finger on the reason sure it wouldn't have put some other playing time in jeopardy.

One thing to keep in mind every team needs a Pujara like batsman in a Test format but wanting to have 11 players like him in modern day Cricket(in 2021 to be precise) is a complete rubbish logic. The pitches these days are result oriented so no matter how much you grind out you are going to get out at one point so you need aggressive batsman batting around him so that a Pujara can do his job(grinding it out) in a way which benefits the team. Pant definitely doesn't have that technique but he has versatility. A term which we used for someone like AB de Villiers. He may not give you consistency but he would ensure that the bowling of opposition is under pressure every time he comes out to bat.

And talking about Bumrah he is a proven bowler in First-Class Cricket and him not playing in India is due to injury. Umesh isn't even close to the league of that of Bumrah.

Do not, I repeat do not fall into the traps of trolls! The best part about this forums is that we have civilized discussions. Finally in February, I for one cannot wait for the test matches to start. I heard Chennai will not have its traditional spin friendly pitch. The curator said it will be something what English team is used to with green grass covering the the pitch.

Lets see how does that go. Last time we made a dust bowl, we fell into our own trap in Mumbai.

I completely agree. Pant is a disgrace.
He played some of the most horrendous test innings I've ever seen in the Australia series.
I cannot understand why Saha was dropped. Obviously, he is a better keeper, but he is also a significantly better Test batsman than Pant. Saha was so unlucky to play in bowling friendly conditions in the 1st Test, then be dropped for batting friendly conditions in 2nd 3rd and 4th test.

Why Pant, Gill and Bumrah are playing in Tests I'll never know. They can't hack it in red ball cricket. They are IPL superstars, so let them be IPL superstars.
Is this the return of that Satan666 guy or whatever his username was? Seems familiar was round the forums back in 2017-18 had similar thoughts over Bumrah back then.

P.S - There was this Bumrah fan name user too who used to troll Bumrah. Quite the Irony that!

This whole thread has descended into some pretty weak bait, so we'd best get it back on track with some healthy discussion.

And I'm going to say that India have enough Test-quality cricketers to fill about three teams at the moment, and that as an Irish fan that's really quite irritating. It would be much appreciated if you could donate us a few of your fringe-fringe players. Something like this would make me happy:

:ire: :bat: Paul Stirling
:ind: :bat: Rituraj Gaikwad
:ire: :bat: Andy Balbirnie
:ind: :bat: Mandeep Singh
:ire: :ar: Curtis Campher
:ind: :wk: Sheldon Jackson
:ire: :ar: Simi Singh
:ind: :bwl: Amit Mishra
:ire: :bwl: Barry McCarthy
:ind: :bwl: Jaydev Unadkat
:ire: :bwl: David Delany

I'm not trying to be unreasonable and take your best players, but it is depressing how players who probably wouldn't get into India's C-team would make ours definitively stronger
Faiz Fazal captain of Vidharbha can be an alternative for Rituraj Gaikwad. Prolific run scorer and led Vidharbha to an Elusive Ranji Trophy title as well.

Users who are viewing this thread