Australia Tour Of India 2012/13

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Truth be told, M Hussey is irreplaceable. He is the sort that grafts his innings like Bevan and it will take some time to find a suitable replacement for him. I agree with Fenil's point about Marcus North being considered for the tests. Csgroe would probably not figure on their minds given that he is considered to be more of an opener sort of batsman.

Quite right, no one is going to replace Mike Hussey.

Just to mention, I think there is ZERO chance of Marcus North getting a recall. His Shield form this summer has been awful - his average is 15! And in the Ryobi Cup it's 24, so he's been consistently bad. Not to mention, that he's almost 34 and a thoroughly average player as his Test career proved. Rob Quiney would be a much better bet for a 'veteran' player. He doesn't have as much potential for greatness as the younger kids, but might be a steady rather than spectacular guy, much like Ed Cowan currently is.

So who do you think should replace Hussey?

Khawaja, Maxwell, Smith, Henriques??

Yeah it's tough :p I don't like Maxwell at all. Picking him is a pure gamble, based on nothing but rumours and suspicion. I think Smith's a better batsman than Maxwell and I think Maxwell's bowling is too similar to Lyon to add much value to the XI. I like Henriques, but he may be more use in England as a 4th seamer, and by then Watson might be back bowling. Picking Henriques for this series, would mean the selectors would almost definitely pick Doherty as a 2nd spinner, and I don't like that idea. I'd end up picking Khawaja probably, and hope the kid can perform. But like Finch, he just can't seem to make runs in the Aussie shirt thus far. Or if an all-rounder is a MUST pick, I'd take Smith.

S

Satan666

Australia to win 3-0

with good for nothing Ashwin & Jadeja in the Indian team Aussies can even win 4-0

Haha, plus the batsmen are out of form and not to mention the old crow creaking his way to the crease using the bat not to strike the ball but to prop his frail self up lolz. Expecting a 4-0 to Aus unless the weather intervenes.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Ashwin is one of the great test spinner of India now !

I sense a hint of sarcasm in that post there. :p

Ashwin has disappointed as a Test bowler. Spin being our strength, I'd expect the spinners to give a tough time to the visitors,which did not materialize in the England series. I don't mind Ashwin in the T20 squad, but in Tests, he is a bit off.

I say give Harbhajan a chance in Chennai and if he flops, turn to Amit Mishra. Leggies can be quite useful and since Kumble retired we haven't had one figure in our side at all[bar Chawla]

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
wht do u mean ??

He means Ashwin is ----.

As for Mishra, he is a proven failure at International level. He flights the ball too much and lacks a plan B when batsmen come down the pitch and/or go after him. An unimaginative bowler will struggle to survive in test cricket as he will not be able to bowl long/multiple spells.

Last edited:

greymatter776

Panel of Selectors
India
Mumbai Indians
Profile Flag
India
M.S. Dhoni (Captain), Virender Sehwag, Shikhar Dhawan, Cheteshwar Pujara, Sachin Tendulkar, Virat Kohli, Ravindra Jadeja, Harbhajan Singh, R. Ashwin, Pragyan Ojha, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Ajinkya Rahane, Ashok Dinda, Murali Vijay, Ishant Sharma. Its the current team going to play the first two tests.
Good to see shikhar Dhawan taken to the squad . Sehwag was good in the first test vs England but couldn't continue it. But if he fails ones again we have two good openers Dhawan and Vijay . If the middle order of Tendulkar , Pujara , Kohli, Jadeja, Dhoni fails in the 1st test any one other than Dhoni could be replaced by Rahane for the 2nd test. Ishant for sure will be the first bowler and the second could be B.Kumar to give him a debut . there is no problem in that section as if Kumar fails he could be replaced by Dinda . But the real problem is in the spin department . If ashwin or Ojha fails there is no one in or out of the squad to replace them except for Harbhajan but Harbhajan is not promising enough . I think India should take this issue severe as there was no consistent promising spinner in domestic series such as ranjis . I am not saying about Chawla as he is not suitable according to me .

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Bird and Henriques been the impressive two so far. Lyon doing a bit of a Krejza. No closer to deciding who replaces Hussey from this match, next match it is.

With Hussey retired its still appalled as to how Bailey was not picked to give the middle-order some obvious solidity. I wish they would fly him over right now.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Ashwin is one of the great test spinner of India now !

Are you equating his batting form and telling us that he is the next great spinner? He is batting well and thats the only thing he is doing right now. He doesn't have patience in tests cricket to keep bowling the good balls consistently, and tries too many things (the side effect of T20).

Ojha is what I would call a "great test spinner for India now". Ashwin is right now a batsman who can bowl spin. He is useful for T20 (and to an extent in ODI) where his economical figures can help the team a lot.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
If India have a choice in the pitches they produce, then they need to start producing pitches that offer help to all bowlers. Seamers early on and value for shots for the batsman. Then turn as the game progresses. Otherwise they'll continue to be a one trick pony.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
He means Ashwin is ----.

As for Mishra, he is a proven failure at International level. He flights the ball too much and lacks a plan B when batsmen come down the pitch and/or go after him. An unimaginative bowler will struggle to survive in test cricket as he will not be able to bowl long/multiple spells.

While I agree Ashwin has been pants in Tests, point me to replacements, and I'm done hearing the "bring back Harbhajan" crap, he's just as bad, if not worse.

If India have a choice in the pitches they produce, then they need to start producing pitches that offer help to all bowlers. Seamers early on and value for shots for the batsman. Then turn as the game progresses. Otherwise they'll continue to be a one trick pony.

I doubt tweaking with the pitches we produce for International fixtures will make us more versatile, that has to be down with the youth, at Domestic level.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Agar staying on, why on earth did we pick Doherty for. I really feel for SOK, keeps getting jumped by randoms who have played less than 5 games. Agar does look to have potential and I have more faith in him than Doherty but SOK should have been here.

Users who are viewing this thread