Brendon McCullum or MS Dhoni

Too different to compare. In ODIs; Dhoni totally trumps McCullum as a middle order batsman, but then, he has never opened and would never match McCullum's success up there at the top.

In Tests, McCullum, based on slightly better batting. This being said, Dhoni is the better Test keeper, McCullum simply looks better due to often leaning on his 'wrong foot' which forces him to dive far too often.

McCullum simply looks better due to often leaning on his 'wrong foot' which forces him to dive far too often.

What? You're kidding right? Ifthe ball is shaping to go straight/down the leg side, of course he's going to be on the wrong foot? Are you trying to say his footwork is bad? Because his byes conceded and dropped catch tallies say otherwise. He's very tidy. Every keeper makes the odd blunder.

I just wanted to get evryones opinion on McCullum, I've began to notice just how overatted he his becoming, dont get me wrong he is a good player, well over the last year and a haf he has been. I just wanted to know where most people rated him amongst keepers.

EG.

1.Kumar Sangakarra
2.etc

I've seen him play alot better than Dhoni, who I would say is very overrated

not really. im sick of dhoni. here in india people dont even know mccullum. after the first match in the ipl they mentioned what an overnight success mccullums become. what they failed to realize is that mccullums been making runs for years. all they know is dhoni. youre right. dhoni is overrated. but in my opinion mccullums is NOT overrated. and he is a great keeper.

kirthan added 4 Minutes and 29 Seconds later...

I disagree, I thought his 92 in the first test match of the Eng-NZ series was an innings that got New Zealand a draw, and really saved them in the first innings. I think he can restrain himself, but still play positively when the situation requires him to. I'm a big fan of the bloke, and he's only 28 aswell, means he's got plenty of years ahead of him, so I imagine he'll be dominating the One Day scene for a good few years.

yea. and also against south africa in the first test where he played for an hour or so and made 30-something even though he injured his forearm. classic stuff. :)
and if you compare averages obviously dhoni is going to emerge top gun simply because he finishes more games than mccullum whos an opener. dhoni is the michael bevan type. he has more not outs.

Last edited:
My Ranking :-

#1)Kumar Sangakkara [S.L]
#2)M.S Dhoni [Ind]
#3)B. McCullum [N.Z]
4)Mark Boucher [S.A]
5)Kamran Akmal [Pak]
6)Brad Haddin [Aus]
7)Tim Ambrose [Eng]
8)Tatenda Taibu [Zim]
9)Niall O'Brien [Ire]
10)Denesh Ramdin [W.I]
11)Mushfiqur Rahim [Ban]

What? You're kidding right? Ifthe ball is shaping to go straight/down the leg side, of course he's going to be on the wrong foot? Are you trying to say his footwork is bad? Because his byes conceded and dropped catch tallies say otherwise. He's very tidy. Every keeper makes the odd blunder.

I am not kidding and it is something that is clearly evident if you look at it. It does not make him a bad keeper but simply makes the work he does look spectacular. He dives more often than other keeper and rarely shuffles across to collect the ball outside the off stump, as a result. It is not a bad thing at all, just makes his keeping look slightly better than it is.

He also has a wider gap between himself and first slip than other keepers, meaning he gives himself more oppurtunity to look good. Considering the technical flaw which caught him out a few times in NZ he's a brilliant keeper, has brilliant footwork (after the first step), has great hands and is extremely athletic. There's no better wicket-keeper batsman in the world right now. Apart from GoJo of course :p

My Ranking :-

#1)Kumar Sangakkara [S.L]
#2)M.S Dhoni [Ind]
#3)B. McCullum [N.Z]
4)Mark Boucher [S.A]
5)Kamran Akmal [Pak]
6)Brad Haddin [Aus]
7)Tim Ambrose [Eng]
8)Tatenda Taibu [Zim]
9)Niall O'Brien [Ire]
10)Denesh Ramdin [W.I]
11)Mushfiqur Rahim [Ban]

Kamran at five?

In terms of keeping itself, that order is verrrrrrrrry wrong. Dhoni is not even the best wicketkeeper in India, let alone the world.

Lol, O'Brien and Taibu above Ramdin. Akmal above Haddin. Dhoni above McCullum and Boucher. Agree with Sangakkara being top, although he's not really been keeping much of late, with Jayawardene keeping.

Jayawardene is the best keeper out of all of them, from what I've seen. If Wriddhiman Saha got some International exposure, he'd be in that list somewhere, an absolute beast.

Why is Karthik not in there at all, though? :(

@Topic
both of them are good.. i don't like comparisions . i love both players, both of them have different style and attitude towards the game ..but one thing is common.. both of them are Fighters. and won't give it up ever :cheers

Dhoni is a better behind the stumps than McCullum as his keeping to
indian spinners on the turning tracks is best i have seen in along time.
if you saw the india-sa test series while bouncher was at see keeping e ven
to harris who did not turn the ball a inch on tracks e ven a baby can turn it.

also dhonis concentration and footwork are better thean McCullum,where
as mccullum is more acrobatic and shows of more so people think he is a better keeper.

his batting in odis is great,

people say he has not batted well in tests,i dis agree how many wicket keepes have saved 2 tests matches and won a few themselves,

technique is just a term overused,he has improved alot in defence

if you watched the series against australia in australia the way he played lee
johnson ,he kept improving his footwork as the tour progressed,he did well in england,in south africa he attacked the bowlers,
also at no 7 you need a guy who has great mental a bilities and a sfar as mental abilities go there is nobody comparable to him, no contest in my opinion

Sorry, I was a bit harsh on you. You were just pointing it out which is fine. My apologies.

Users who are viewing this thread