Group A - South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, FRANCE

South Africa v Mexico 1-1.

What a disappointment. I expected Mexico to win. Mexico will have now difficulty of qualifying to the next round.

South Africa v Mexico 1-1.

What a disappointment. I expected Mexico to win. Mexico will have now difficulty of qualifying to the next round.

This is a pretty tough group for anyone to qualify in except France, and we know how unpredictable they can be , especially in the early stages of a competition.....

I think we've just seen the worst game of the tournament already. That was shocking. I take back my feeling that France might win the World Cup, they were dreadful. Although I did think they'd struggle in this group, so if they get through maybe they'll pick it up. Uruguay will be happy with a draw. Sets up the group nicely with two draws.

I think we've just seen the worst game of the tournament already. That was shocking. I take back my feeling that France might win the World Cup, they were dreadful. Although I did think they'd struggle in this group, so if they get through maybe they'll pick it up. Uruguay will be happy with a draw. Sets up the group nicely with two draws.

Well I cant really remember a tournament that had really exciting opening games.....France had no penetration really. They looked physically very imposing but in front of goal were very average. All to play for in this group.

SA will be happy to take something out of the first game. Wonder if this will be another French goal less tournament.

The first match was very exciting to watch but the second game was boring. France played crap and couldn't get through Uruguay's defence. Not good results for Mexico and France.

In this group all four teams are pretty even.
France and Mexico would be the favourites, but I heard somewhere that the host nation has never been knocked out in the first round (not sure if that's true).
Also South American teams such as Uruguay can never be counted out, as on their day they can beat most sides.
The first day of games doesn't really change anything, and I wouldn't be surprised if the points finished 5, 5, 2, 2 or something like that.

Mexico looked great in the first half but really fell off in the second which was disappointing. I was very surprised at some of the plays SA came up with. Good game and both teams played well

In the opening moments of the first half, the South Africans made elementary mistakes. They were looking too raw for the big stage, but towards the end of the half, they really got their act together.
Mexico looked threatening, but failed to capitalize on most of their chances.

Uruguay was rusty, and apart form Forlan, they weren't able to trouble the French defence much.
France on the other hand were extremely lack-luster as well. I still can't understand why Henry couldn't come on earlier. If Arsenal had played Henry for only a fifth of the time every game, they would probably had won only a 6th of their matches.
Their defense was ugly, and so was their midfield. Ribery couldn't get any support whatsoever from anyone else.

The handball towards the end was a lucky miss from the Referee, and I feel that gives it back to France what they did earlier. Hopefully, they are knocked out in the group stages, and this Handball will come to haunt them. :)

They desperately need to sort out their game, because looking at the game yesterday, they didn't look worthy enough to reach the next stage.

Uruguay was rusty, and apart form Forlan, they weren't able to trouble the French defence much.
France on the other hand were extremely lack-luster as well. I still can't understand why Henry couldn't come on earlier. If Arsenal had played Henry for only a fifth of the time every game, they would probably had won only a 6th of their matches.
Their defense was ugly, and so was their midfield. Ribery couldn't get any support whatsoever from anyone else.

The handball towards the end was a lucky miss from the Referee, and I feel that gives it back to France what they did earlier. Hopefully, they are knocked out in the group stages, and this Handball will come to haunt them. :)

They desperately need to sort out their game, because looking at the game yesterday, they didn't look worthy enough to reach the next stage.

Because Domenech is a moron. Some of the managers in this World Cup are moronic to say the least. How you don't pick Nasri, who has done well this season, and Benzema, who had a bad season but is still more talented than Gignac and pretty much every other French striker except Henry, is stupid tbh. Not to mention, he didn't start Malouda, one of the better players in the World towards teh end of this season. I reckon Henry and Anelka also don't link-up very well.

France don't look great. Uruguay was always about Forlan. Mexico are solid. And, South Africa could always rise with the support of the home fans. Hard group to predict, but tremendous goal from Tshabalala.

What a shite game, I fell asleep after watching the first half. Ribery played well but the rest were terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread