Group A - South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay, FRANCE

Very boring game the one between France and Uruguay. I think Uruguay were happy with a draw, they were playing with 5 defenders at one stage. France never really looked threatening and they lacked the killer tough. Ribery tried to do something at times but the moves France made were never really threatening.

Last time France had Zidane to do something special they havent found someone to replace him this time around.

Very boring game the one between France and Uruguay. I think Uruguay were happy with a draw, they were playing with 5 defenders at one stage. France never really looked threatening and they lacked the killer tough. Ribery tried to do something at times but the moves France made were never really threatening.

Last time France had Zidane to do something special they havent found someone to replace him this time around.

Headbutt? :p

Anelka doesn't suit the system France are playing. Tbh, the only player who does is Cisse. A genuine in the box goalscorer who likes to stay on the shoulder of the last defender. Anelka drops deep and likes to link up. When he tried to take players on, he failed because Uruguay had 3 defenders.

Domenech was heavily criticised by the commentators in that match but tbh, he did the right things. I don't know the reasoning as to why Diaby was played over Malouda, either because of the "bust up" or because Domenech realised the left becomes too congested. Either way it was the right move, you can't play your XI best players - you need to fit XI players in to the best system.

He also went with 1 striker rather than the standard 2 which was the right idea because Uruguay played 3 defenders. Against 3 defenders, 2 would be outplayed with the one free man picking up the left overs.

Govou offers a good balance to the side, playing as a defensive winger (similar to Kuyt and Liverpool) but against Uruguay who were sitting very deep and letting the game come to them, he wasn't necessary. I would've liked to see Valbuenas come on.

Uruguay just sat deep and played with a 5 man defence, they never really looked like wanting to win the game. Forlan and Suarez were isolated up top with no ball to play to wide players, forcing them to go wide themselves and making little impact.

Now Kuhne has caught him there but Suarez has gone down like a sack of ████. This is what I hate about international football. You'd think somebody had chopped off his knees the moment he went to ground. Suspicions of offside before that anyway. Come on sub goalie, save it.

Now Kuhne has caught him there but Suarez has gone down like a sack of ████. This is what I hate about international football. You'd think somebody had chopped off his knees the moment he went to ground. Suspicions of offside before that anyway. Come on sub goalie, save it.

True but the way the goalkeeper went in two feet first was pretty stupid. And the ref missed at least two atrocious tackles by South Africa. What goes round comes round me say! The coach has made some terrible tactical decisions in my opinion and is the one that needs to take responsibility.

I feel sorry for the South African fans. They don't have much to be joyful about at the best of times. We all knew this would happen. South Africa are probably the weakest host nation for a long time, maybe ever. They were going to need to do something special to get through the group stage. They have lots of heart but not enough experience at this level.

Suarez was going to score either way, he had to attempt to get the ball. I don't blame the keeper at all.

Suarez was going to score either way, he had to attempt to get the ball. I don't blame the keeper at all.

My point being that a keeper needs to use his hands rather than his feet. Ah well, what do I know. Suarez is known to make a meal of everything. In Holland he is detested for it (he plays for Ajax of course). Same reason why I just hate Ronaldo. So much talent but such a pansy.

It happens too much in the international game, and you can really see it at this World Cup with so many camera angles and plenty of slow motion images.

It happens too much in the international game, and you can really see it at this World Cup with so many camera angles and plenty of slow motion images.

Yeah it needs to be stamped on, pardon the pun! It has been a bit low key till now but is starting to buzz a bit more as the second group games start to take place. What are you looking forward to? Apart from England of course.

I just had to laugh when Gerrard said in the post match interview that everyone was going to get behind Green.....we all know why!!!:laugh

My point being that a keeper needs to use his hands rather than his feet. Ah well, what do I know. Suarez is known to make a meal of everything. In Holland he is detested for it (he plays for Ajax of course). Same reason why I just hate Ronaldo. So much talent but such a pansy.

Suarez has said he'll only leave Ajax for Man Utd. We'll 'ave him! :D

Yeah it needs to be stamped on, pardon the pun! It has been a bit low key till now but is starting to buzz a bit more as the second group games start to take place. What are you looking forward to? Apart from England of course.

I just had to laugh when Gerrard said in the post match interview that everyone was going to get behind Green.....we all know why!!!:laugh

I'm looking forward to a number of things. I look forward to seeing some more upsets/good performances from the smaller nations. Would love to see New Zealand do well and both Koreas. I am particularly backing Ghana and Chile, after England of course. Then I look forward to the beginning of the knock-out matches, where we could see some big names play each other. That should be when the real football class starts to show.

Suarez has said he'll only leave Ajax for Man Utd. We'll 'ave him! :D

Really!? Do you rate him that highly?:eek:

Probably because he has scored 74 goals in 97 appearances for Ajax. Then a further 22 goals from 58 appearances at his previous 2 clubs. Including national games he has 106 goals in 185 appearances (Possibly 186 now). That is an immense record.

Probably because he has scored 74 goals in 97 appearances for Ajax. Then a further 22 goals from 58 appearances at his previous 2 clubs. Including national games he has 106 goals in 185 appearances (Possibly 186 now). That is an immense record.

Yeah but apart from scoring zillions of goals all over the place....:p

I'll be honest, from what I've seen of him in these two games he hasn't looked spectacular. But if you're scoring nearly 50 goals in a season you have to be good.

Users who are viewing this thread