Group D - GERMANY, Australia, Serbia, Ghana

Yes Australia are a good team when they fire - they have great spirit and play good physical football but they looked like an under 15s team out there compared to Germany. The Aussie midfield was passing the ball to no one, the Australian back line was awful and too slow and Germany are simply too good.

Yes, exactly. That's why I'm upset and what I'm surprised at. The realistic part in me predicted a 3-0 loss, the wishful thinking part a 0-0 draw. So I wasn't too surprised at the result but the performance was much worse than I was hoping for. We were terrible

Yes, exactly. That's why I'm upset and what I'm surprised at. The realistic part in me predicted a 3-0 loss, the wishful thinking part a 0-0 draw. So I wasn't too surprised at the result but the performance was much worse than I was hoping for. We were terrible

Yeah, that's fair. However despite my criticism of the Australian team, in my opinion it is true that they weren't coached very well. I'm not an expert on the Aussies, but I don't see what the hell they were expecting to do.

Coming out and playing a high back line, trying to pull off risky off-side traps? Why? As soon as Germany had their first attack and I saw how forward the Australians were I knew it was going to be slaughter. Against such a quick side with fantastic passing talent, that is asking to be flogged.

And not playing Kewell or that tall fella that looks like Jesus was strange too. What happened to Bresciano? Is he no good anymore? Wilkshire taking the set pieces for Australia was producing rubbish all night.

I think Australia made it harder for themselves than it had to be. Don't get me wrong, I don't think they ever really had a chance - but they kinda put the nail in their own coffin.

P.S: Cahill's red card was a joke and the German's annoyed the ever living daylights out of me with their diving and carrying on.

I wish I could answer those questions, but I can't. We played a high defensive line against USA and get dominated. Everyone who knew something about the game in Australia was hoping we wouldnt do the same thing against Germany... But we did.

Kewell still has an injury. Once we fell behind there was no point bringing him on as a super sub. Better off resting him. Why didnt we start Kennedy? No idea. Very odd decision.

Heres a list of the odd things he did which were untested:
- Cahill lone striker
- Wilkshire AMR (?). Emerton and Wilkshire both working the right side equally it seemed
- Valeri starting
- Culina a more attacking role, or was it 3 DM's?
- A bit of a different style
- High defensive line (We did it against USA but never used to)

I actually made sure I didn't sleep through the game like I did in the Argentina game last night in the second half. Decided to go to sleep and wake up at 2 to watch the F1 then watched the AUS game at 4:30. Stupid Germany though destroying us 4-0. We need to bounce back against Ghana and Serbia.

How did you sleep through the Argentina game? That was an early one wasn't it? Plus it was a decent match.

We should beat Ghana though, we have done in the past. At least we have to be attacking and we need to play Kennedy and Kewell and we need Cahill to win his appeal. Also do we have any quick defenders? If so Craig Moore out, speedy defender in.

Beauchamp? Not sure on his pace... I dont trust his quality though. Like I said we need Kisnorbo. Personally I'd play Emerton in CB, Wilkshire back to RB and Kewell into the AMR role.

Not sure Holland has the experience and depth and fitness this time round. They will be good to watch though. They will need Robben fit to add pace. Spain are going to be very tough to beat. They are so quick. Lahm is one of those unsung players in my opinon. Does such a good job running up and down that wing and hardly puts a foot wrong.

I believe that the Dutch attack is probably the best to watch. And, generally, they will score goals. It's their defense that is weak. In attack, they have RVP, VDV, Robben, Sneijder and Afellay, who should all be threats on the pitch.

Yes, Lahm is brilliant. Happy he's captain too - like him more than Ballack.

Ha, Germany's team this decade has always been an enigma. They never have any star players (the current crop being the worst German team i've seen), especially with Ballack not playing. But yet they always play efficient football.

England should take a leaf out of the gerries book. England should have put away the USA, like what Germany did to AUS today.

:laugh

Do you even watch football? This German bunch, the youngsters, have been lighting up the German league all season, won the Euro U-21 title in 2009 and some of them are the most highly rated youngsters in all of Europe. Ozil is definitely going to have some bids placed on him. Was the best player of Euro U-21, and has been brilliant all season at Bremen. Plus, he only has one more year on his contract at Bremen and is yet to sign an extension.

Ballack has been alright this season. But, Khedira looks extremely solid in the same position, so I don't see the fuss over missing Ballack. In fact, Adler, Westermann and Rolfes, especially Rolfes, are much bigger losses.

Lahm has said this is the best German team he has played in. He played in that squad that made the final of the 2008 European Championship and the 2006 WC side that made the Semi Finals.

i think what war means is that those german players aren't heard of outside the football fans. they might not be the worst but they aren't that popular. Bud I was expecting a closer contest between the aussies and the germans but thoroughly well played.:clap

Absolute demolition from the Germans yesterday. They looked unbeatable, and now I really fear finishing 2nd in our group because they will be very difficult to beat if they play like that.

Australia were unlucky with gthe Cahill sending off, the ref was pretty awful it has to be said (Plus he looked like Dracula!). However, that only really has a future consequence because it didn't affect the game at all, Germany were always going to win once 2-0 up.

Not seen the Serbia-Ghana highlights yet, but apparently it wasn't the best of games. Australia still have hope but I think it's a fight between Ghana and Serbia for 2nd place.

I highly doubt that Australia are going to get a point in this world cup as Serbia and Ghana are two very good teams.

Especially now Cahill is probably banned for the remaining games.

the ref was pretty awful it has to be said (Plus he looked like Dracula!).

I personally thought he looked more like Carlos Tevez's long lost brother

He even does that same horrible grin that Tevez always does...

tevezref.jpg

My proof

Last edited:
I highly doubt that Australia are going to get a point in this world cup as Serbia and Ghana are two very good teams.

Especially now Cahill is probably banned for the remaining games.

Is it a 2 game suspension? I thought it was 1 game.

Straight red normally get a more than one game ban. Usually 3 even though he should have never been sent off.

Users who are viewing this thread