South Africa in India

Predict the result of this ODI series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I dont believe in this favorite grounds thing. Bangalore was also one of Tendulkar's best grounds.

Today, it was poor cricket from him. He needed to have rotated the strike and not have built the pressure on himself. He allowed Pollock to dictate terms on him and then succumbed to him

Gibbsrules said:
rahul dravid and his boys got a lot of luck today.

6 wicket win. It was more then luck. Had it of been closer then I woulds of put it mostly down to the toss.

Mabee now some of you South Africans can see how vital the toss is now. Thats what skrewed us over against you.

Supersubs have to go. Powerplays are also a little unfair for the team batting second because they know the target.

But I am very happy to see India win. India are looking a class side.

great win by india. Great to see pathan perform very well again with ball and also with bat. I reckon they are a class side now and can easily trouble australia in one dayers and possibly even test matches. Can't wait till they come to australia ib the bear future. Bad luck to SA, they were so close to Australia's world record. But it is a promising sign that the VB series won't be as one sided as other years with SA participating as well as Sri Lanka

India are getting to become a class side.. they are not yet a fully class side! some chinks remain in our game... we depended heavily on the toss in both these games. we need to beat the adverse conditions like seaming wickets, turning wickets, etc. tendulkar is circumspect now. he needs to come down the order to regain his touch. dravid needs to improve his bowling changes (from the hyderabad odi!). the team needs some more experience in their ranks in the bowling department and its time we give the discards a chance (esp. zaheer khan and ganguly!).

we will become one of the top sides definitely..... but its not time to merit comparisons to australia who are still way ahead in terms of consistency in doing the basics superbly.. but we have superb captain who in the next three years of his captaincy can put india above many other nations in the world. I would salute Dravid for all that he has done for India so far!

saisrini80 said:
India are getting to become a class side.. they are not yet a fully class side! some chinks remain in our game... we depended heavily on the toss in both these games. we need to beat the adverse conditions like seaming wickets, turning wickets, etc. tendulkar is circumspect now. he needs to come down the order to regain his touch. dravid needs to improve his bowling changes (from the hyderabad odi!). the team needs some more experience in their ranks in the bowling department and its time we give the discards a chance (esp. zaheer khan and ganguly!).

we will become one of the top sides definitely..... but its not time to merit comparisons to australia who are still way ahead in terms of consistency in doing the basics superbly.. but we have superb captain who in the next three years of his captaincy can put india above many other nations in the world. I would salute Dravid for all that he has done for India so far!

I agree, if India rely way to much on the toss to win matches. If they want to be top class they have to be able to perform in any conditions. If they get out cheaply their bowlers should be able to produce the goods to get India out of that situation. Aus one usually do it if they only get 250 odd. India will need to follow suit.

Gambhir should stay as opener after his performance, would be a bit hard to drop Tendulkar down the order after how well Sehwag did down there.

aussie1st said:
I agree, if India rely way to much on the toss to win matches. If they want to be top class they have to be able to perform in any conditions. If they get out cheaply their bowlers should be able to produce the goods to get India out of that situation. Aus one usually do it if they only get 250 odd. India will need to follow suit.

Gambhir should stay as opener after his performance, would be a bit hard to drop Tendulkar down the order after how well Sehwag did down there.

May be some one can be sent up the order to open with Gambhir to allow Tendulkar and Sehwag to come down the order! Dhoni can open with Gambhir! Dhoni has done it before! Dhoni can play sensibly as well as take the bull by the horns. If Dhoni or Gambhir or both click, then its enormous pressure for the opposition who will rue the fact that the current batsmen are doing well with still Sehwag and Tendulkar to come! Thats a great psychological pressure to put South Africa in! Only the in form players should open now. We have found out South Africa's problem. Apart from Pollock and South Africa's fielding, the rest are vulnerable and are already cracked by the Indian batsmen. Now they need to find a way to score off Pollock and pierce the South African fielding even better! Today we could have avoided those two run outs. Already Ontong came periliously close to running out Gambhir twice and missed. Gambhir should have been more careful and avoided the third time but he didnt and paid the price for it. Pathan also did the same mistake and took the risk of that unnecessary run!

Last edited:
saisrini80 said:
May be some one can be sent up the order to open with Gambhir to allow Tendulkar and Sehwag to come down the order! Dhoni can open with Gambhir! Dhoni has done it before! Dhoni can play sensibly as well as take the bull by the horns. If Dhoni or Gambhir or both click, then its enormous pressure for the opposition who will rue the fact that the current batsmen are doing well with still Sehwag and Tendulkar to come! Thats a great psychological pressure to put South Africa in! Only the in form players should open now. We have found out South Africa's problem. Apart from Pollock and South Africa's fielding, the rest are vulnerable and are already cracked by the Indian batsmen. Now they need to find a way to score off Pollock and pierce the South African fielding even better! Today we could have avoided those two run outs. Already Ontong came periliously close to running out Gambhir twice and missed. Gambhir should have been more careful and avoided the third time but he didnt and paid the price for it. Pathan also did the same mistake and took the risk of that unnecessary run!

That would be interesting seeing how Dhoni goes opening. I remember you guys saying he didn't go well opening last time he did it. Its worth a shot however as he is in good form and hess usually wasted down the order.
Yuvraj Singh could do the big hitting to finish of the inns that Dhoni usually does.
Pathan looks to be a good number 3, Tendulkar 4, and Sehwag 5 also could provide the finishing touches to the inns.

irottev said:
6 wicket win. It was more then luck. Had it of been closer then I woulds of put it mostly down to the toss.

Mabee now some of you South Africans can see how vital the toss is now. Thats what skrewed us over against you.

Supersubs have to go. Powerplays are also a little unfair for the team batting second because they know the target.

But I am very happy to see India win. India are looking a class side.

Yes,the toss did cost us,but over here,except in the one day-nighter in Cape Town,all the rest were day games,and there isn't much of an advantage batting first.It was the super-sub rule that cost you guys as you lacked an effective one.

Gibbsrules said:
Yes,the toss did cost us,but over here,except in the one day-nighter in Cape Town,all the rest were day games,and there isn't much of an advantage batting first.It was the super-sub rule that cost you guys as you lacked an effective one.

I remember the WC game where Bond ripped Aus apart due to the conditions being in favor of the bowlers. Aus were all out for 200, in reply NZ bearly got 100. This shows you that it isn't impossible to win a game even if you have lost the toss and put into bat on a bowling paradise.

Yeah, that sucked. Then again if there were supersubs and powerplays we may of had a better chance :/

We didn't have an effective supersub because we had batters when we were batting first and bowlers when we were bowling first due to duh du hduh duh, losing the toss. I rekon we needed Harris or Cairns as supersub. That was reguardless of the way the toss goes you have an extra batsmen or bowler since they are all rounders. Talking about Cairns hes in red hot form. he smashed 50 off 35 balls with 5 sixes for his club. He will be on the plane to Australia rest assured.

I am so amazingly against that rule. You wouldn't believe it. I can't believe how stupid it is. I hope they ditch it all together.

Anyway,This is the team I would chose for SA in the next match.(In batting order)

Smith
Hall
Kallis
Prince
De Villiers
Kemp
Boucher
Pollock
Botha
Langeveld/Nel
Ntini
Super-sub:Morkel

I would leave either Nel or Langeveld out because we have plenty of bowling options,whilst I think we hae to find room for Hall in the side as he has done well in India and he can bowl.I thinkwe should try De Villiers down the order,when the ball isn't as new,this also strengthens our batting,especially with Gibbs not being there,whilst Hall can open as he is used to doing this.Botha should be kept as he looks promising,although a bit expensive and he bats aggressively.Morkel should be super-sub because he is a hard hitting batsmen and handy bowler,but Onthong has shown his worth in the field,so a tough choice there.

India would be happy to see Ontong being kept out of the side. He made the match yesterday a competitive one with his amazing and electric fielding!

There is a posibility of the next match to be abandoned.
Heavy rain if forcasted for Tuesday.
See BBC's Weather Center's forcast:http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=2112

last test & ODI played in chennai -abandoned due to rain:
India vs Australia(border-Gavaskar trophy)
India vs New Zealand (TVS Cup involving Ind-Aus-NZ)

Attachments

• tue.JPG
    tue.JPG
    6.1 KB · Views: 35
bharat said:
There is a posibility of the next match to be abandoned.
Heavy rain if forcasted for Tuesday.
See BBC's Weather Center's forcast:http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=2112

last test & ODI played in chennai -abandoned due to rain:
India vs Australia(border-Gavaskar trophy)
India vs New Zealand (TVS Cup involving Ind-Aus-NZ)

I too heard that! I heard that most of the people who have bought tickets for the Chennai match are selling it in black at a loss! Poor signs for the next game! Hoping for a miracle from the weather gods which would allow the game to at least go till 75 overs combined so that we get a result!

Twenty20 time!!! :)

Imagine-Dhoni and Viru opening, Pathan at 3, Sachin at four, Yuvi at 5, Raina at 6...

Users who are viewing this thread