Sri Lanka in England/Netherlands

James219 said:
Well, Gilchrist kinda compensates for any mishaps/mistakes with the gloves with his freakish, and usually consistent, displays at the crease. Besides, he's really developing into a reliable man behind the stumps these days- his keeping is generally top quality, bar his off days when he loses his composure. But, that's obviously expected from time to time, as he's performing three roles: the vice-captaincy, keeping and is an integral part of the middle-order.

I realise he is a superb keeper/batsman but JOnes needs time to improve. He has been facind stick from English crowds since Lords, Ashes. He has coped pretty well with that and you can see clear improvements and is ironing out the mistakes

Hopefully we can finish off the Sri Lankans this morning, and maybe Plunkett and Paenser can get in on the act.

Paenser lol not likely! England will be using there pacemen and I suspect Flintoff will let Mahmood go for a 5 wicket haul.

Hpggard and Mahmood are set to open imo.

Monty, if they are still batting will bowl just before lunch unless the pacers gt absolutely nothing out of it.

stevie said:
Everything I've seen in the highlights reminds me of Simon Jones. When I saw him on Sky Sports News earlier I thought it was for a moment!

No specsavers in southport? :p

barmyarmy said:
I know Jones batted ok but another dropped catch today. Did anyone see how easy it was?

Wasn't exactly regulation catch though.

gary0808 said:
Prior made some sloppy errors in the One Dayers in India. Lets face it all of the current crop of Englands keepers will make mistakes on the big stage. Jonesy is the best of the lot at batting and keeping. Besides Freddie needs Jonesy

Read is a better keeper, and can play onside shots. Jones weakness is the onside, which is poor. Personally I'd go back to Read his batting has improved, it's about 50 since his last test in FC cricket.

Sureshot said:
Read is a better keeper, and can play onside shots. Jones weakness is the onside, which is poor. Personally I'd go back to Read his batting has improved, it's about 50 since his last test in FC cricket.
He's actually averaging more in the 2 years since his last test than Jones was in the two years before his first test. Plus, you'd have to be blind to say that Jones is a better keeper.

I don't think England need to change their keeper. He was a part of the ashes win you know.

irottev said:
I don't think England need to change their keeper. He was a part of the ashes win you know.

I thought it was only England fans that were supposed to be stuck in the Ashes summer. If Australias policy had been to remain nostalgic they would no doubt not have been half the side they have been over the last decade.

And thank you Andrew and sureshot, two other people who aren't blind :p As I said in my post fair enough that you may want Jones to play, as there are many reasons why he should, but the people trying to claim he is a better keeper than Read, or even Foster need to watch more cricket ;)

Hoggard strikes the first blow of the day in removing Maharoof for 22. It was a very poor, defensive move to opt for the extra batsman, and I'm not just saying this in hindsight. Malinga is unknown and his unorthodox action often forces batsman to play away from their body; effective when he's on target.
Yes, Read/Foster are better keepers, and using the excuse of Jones being part of the victorious Ashes squad as a supporting tool for his case is pretty stupid. Even though selectors try to persist with players to maintain the team environment, his keeping skills aren't exactly on the up. Still, this just demonstrates how hard it is to break through even when you're probably a deserved candidate.
EDIT: Flintoff, too, and it's the important wicket of the skipper. Good to see him amongst the wickets, and finishing off the innings won't be too hard from this position.

Last edited:
This is going to be a big innings defeat of Sri Lanka.

But you could have seen the demise of the Sri Lanka batting order in the warm-up matches.

Users who are viewing this thread