Sri Lanka in England/Netherlands

Sorry but I have to step in here just far too much uninformed posting going on :rolleyes:

If your going to say you prefer having Jones in the team to Read that is fair enough, and there are many reasons why that could be the case. To say that he is the best of the lot in terms of keeping is so far from the truth it is on a different planet.

Reads keeping is without much doubt the best in the country, by a long way. He was never dropped because his keeping wasn't good enough, he was dropped because at the time in test cricket he couldn't get the ball off the square when he batted. It was compounded when he ducked out of a full toss and was bowled looking like a joke. However his glovework was still impeccable and always has been.

So to conclude on that one, anyone saying Jones is the better gloveman needs his eyes checked.

Also JamesyJames you said that Jones was fantastic in India? I watched every ball of the entire test series, and also saw all of the Odis that he played in. If that is fantastic than the standard of wicket-keeping has reached an all-time low. In the first test he missed Kumble who went on to hit a 50. He didn't get near a single stumping, missed a fair few thin edges including Raina just before him and Yuvraj built a match winning partnership in the Odis and generally was probably just below average as a wicket-keeper. You could go as far as to say his two costliest mistakes actually lost England momentum on two different occasions that in the end cost them two games.

All in all Geraint Jones as a test class wicket-keeper is poor, anyone who tries to say otherwise is kidding themselves. One of his only good series with the gloves was in Pakistan where he dropped nothing of note, although with the pitches offering little to no movement and the swing from the kookaburra ball dying early it was the easiest conditions you will ever find for a wicket-keeper. With the bat he was shocking, on pitches that merely required patience to bat on, but then he was not the only person.

And finally Gary0808, when it came to keeping Prior did not actually make any sloppy errors in the Odis when keeping. He took a good stumping, and all in all was reasonably solid behind the stumps, however that was a very good game for him and generally he is probably worse than Jones.

Your comment that lets face it the current crop of Englands keepers will make mistakes on the big stage is pretty wide of the mark. If you want an impeccable gloveman then you would pick Read and see little to no mistakes behind the stumps. However whether mentally he has the constitution to be a success at Test cricket is still debateable, and it is because of that, that Geraint Jones is currently ahead of him in the pecking order.

As a side point, Foster is almost certainly a better keeper than Jones, and a better batsman than Read, but whether that means he should be playing for England is an entirely different matter.

Last edited:
puddleduck said:
Sorry but I have to step in here just far too much uninformed posting going on :rolleyes:

If your going to say you prefer having Jones in the team to Read that is fair enough, and there are many reasons why that could be the case. To say that he is the best of the lot in terms of keeping is so far from the truth it is on a different planet.

Reads keeping is without much doubt the best in the country, by a long way. He was never dropped because his keeping wasn't good enough, he was dropped because at the time in test cricket he couldn't get the ball off the square when he batted. It was compounded when he ducked out of a full toss and was bowled looking like a joke. However his glovework was still impeccable and always has been.

So to conclude on that one, anyone saying Jones is the better gloveman needs his eyes checked.

Also JamesyJames you said that Jones was fantastic in India? I watched every ball of the entire test series, and also saw all of the Odis that he played in. If that is fantastic than the standard of wicket-keeping has reached an all-time low. In the first test he missed Kumble who went on to hit a 50. He didn't get near a single stumping, missed a fair few thin edges off the and generally was probably just below average as a wicket-keeper.

All in all Geraint Jones as a test class wicket-keeper is poor, anyone who tries to say otherwise is kidding themselves. One of his only good series with the gloves was in Pakistan where he dropped nothing of note, although with the pitches offering little to no movement and the swing from the kookaburra ball dying early it was the easiest conditions you will ever find for a wicket-keeper. With the bat he was shocking, on pitches that merely required patience to bat on, but then he was not the only person.

And finally Gary0808, when it came to keeping Prior did not actually make any sloppy errors in the Odis when keeping. He took a good stumping, and all in all was reasonably solid behind the stumps, however that was a very good game for him and generally he is probably worse than Jones.

Your comment that lets face it the current crop of Englands keepers will make mistakes on the big stage is pretty wide of the mark. If you want an impeccable gloveman then you would pick Read and see little to no mistakes behind the stumps. However whether mentally he has the constitution to be a success at Test cricket is still debateable, and it is because of that, that Geraint Jones is currently ahead of him in the pecking order.

As a side point, Foster is almost certainly a better keeper than Jones, and a better batsman than Read, but whether that means he should be playing for England is an entirely different matter.

Nah, he made an odd mistake but generally had a good tour of India. He is definately getting into the grove of things and wouldn't bother changing it.

I think what you have to remember puddleduck is that is your opinion. Saying Jones isn't up to the standard is an opinion which some will disagree with. At the end of the day we are winning aren't we?

puddleduck said:

Yep, I remember Foster from the 2002/03 Ashes over here. He definitely looked a class keeper back then with good foundations to be built upon. Seemed fairly reliable behind the stumps, conceding few byes and pretty much his general technique was impressive. His batting was, well, good but 'young' in the sense that he couldn't convert his starts into something better. But still, years after that, he would've cleaned up those aspects of his game and, I suppose, could be a threat further on. On the other hand, maybe he just looked good to me, as a ten-year old back then, 'cause he was taking over from an almost 40-year old Stewart...

JamesyJames3 said:
Nah, he made an odd mistake but generally had a good tour of India. He is definately getting into the grove of things and wouldn't bother changing it.

I think what you have to remember puddleduck is that is your opinion. Saying Jones isn't up to the standard is an opinion which some will disagree with. At the end of the day we are winning aren't we?

Not really mate, it would be my opinion as to whether he plays for England, the rest of my post is pretty much fact. I didn't say he shouldn't be playing for England, I merely pointed out that some people on the previous page were making out that his glovework is quality when more than clearly it is not.

Him playing for England or not is an entirely different subject, and the fact that we're winning, the fact that he is probably the best bat barring Prior, and the fact that mentally he has coped with test cricket and indeed a lot of critisism regarding his performances mean he should probably keep his place. The rest of my post is however not necessarily my opinion, but a researched and informed post based on fact that is attempting to correct some rather grievous errors.

I think that Jones is really the only weakness left in the england side now that they got rid of Bell...and Cook looks pretty good so far.

This is one hell of a weak Sri Lanka though, so it's hard to read too much into it. But England couldn't have done any better, so signs are great for them. So can't wait to see their bowlers toiling with a kooka in their hand though.

I was watching the highlights today on Fox Sports, and Vaas and co. got it to move around, but they fell away after that, they competed in the first hour, then lost it completely.

And I am a fan of Geraint Jones, give him a chance, he wasn't poor, was he?

Gilchrist said:
I was watching the highlights today on Fox Sports, and Vaas and co. got it to move around, but they fell away after that, they competed in the first hour, then lost it completely.

And I am a fan of Geraint Jones, give him a chance, he wasn't poor, was he?

Oh, so there's no live coverage?
Anyway, Jones' is a difficult case. He adds to the team in some areas, and possibly devalues it in others. It's been diverted by some recent success, but overall, his attitude is admirable and the side has become comfortable in his presence. Either way, it's an endless argument.

Look, I was wrong, and I admit it. They might, MIGHT cover the second test live though. They MIGHT.

Gilchrist said:
Look, I was wrong, and I admit it. They might, MIGHT cover the second test live though. They MIGHT.

Haha, don't worry, I was only joking around. And if they do end up covering the Second Test live, I'll be off to my friends house! :)

Jones is probably the lowest ranked Wicket Keeper Batsmen from the top nations to be honest, Ramdin perhaps but hes still young. But then again, the standard of wicket keepers is amazing. The top 2 on ODI batting rankings are wicket keepers with Sangakara also in the top 10.

Add to those three McCullum, Boucher and Akmal, and Jones looks terrible. He is still a good player though.

Onto the game. The England batting performance really impressed me. I am really enjoying watching. I am being well entertained by fantastic commentary and coverage, something which was shocking in South Africa free to air, classy batting and some pretty good bowling also. I have never been a big fan of England but Pietersen is a treat to watch. As is Flintoff. Fantasy Cricket also keeps me interested which is cool.

Do you Australians not get live coverage? We even get it here.

puddleduck said:
I merely pointed out that some people on the previous page were making out that his glovework is quality when more than clearly it is not.

What I'm trying to say is all keepers make mistakes, even Gilchrist, Akmal and Boucher. I don't see Australians calling for his head.

Also I believe Dhoni is a worse keeper than Jones and the Indians adore him

gary0808 said:
What I'm trying to say is all keepers make mistakes, even Gilchrist, Akmal and Boucher. I don't see Australians calling for his head.

Well, Gilchrist kinda compensates for any mishaps/mistakes with the gloves with his freakish, and usually consistent, displays at the crease. Besides, he's really developing into a reliable man behind the stumps these days- his keeping is generally top quality, bar his off days when he loses his composure. But, that's obviously expected from time to time, as he's performing three roles: the vice-captaincy, keeping and is an integral part of the middle-order.

Users who are viewing this thread